The Student Room Group

OCR AS Chemistry New specification grade predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feisal_2374
I don't study Biology, sorry haha

no worries man
Original post by ronnydandam
last year it was 78% for an A, you are predicting 75%, surely it can't be lower, but if it really is as low as you say or even lower then I'll be very happy

Last year was also an old spec, and the exams had been the same. Plus with coursework, the percentage could be higher as students had no excuse for failing their coursework to bump up their grade.

We don't have that luxury, so the overall effect is the grade boundaries must be lower.
If you don't believe me, it's the same with science AQA GCSE. Controlled Assessments were introduced to raise grade boundaries so that student don't have the excuse of saying 'but we only had 3 exams!' because they would have been told their coursework could have bumped up their grade to something they wanted.

Same reason why in Maths, once controlled assessments were removed very many years ago, grade boundaries had to be lower to allow the same percentage of people to get the grade they needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nwmyname
Last year was also an old spec, and the exams had been the same. Plus with coursework, the percentage could be higher as students had no excuse for failing their coursework to bump up their grade.

We don't have that luxury, so the overall effect is the grade boundaries must be lower.
If you don't believe me, it's the same with science AQA GCSE. Controlled Assessments were introduced to raise grade boundaries so that student don't have the excuse of saying 'but we only had 3 exams!' because they would have been told their coursework could have bumped up their grade to something they wanted.

I really hope you're right although I feel your biology predictions are quite on the high side. 102/140 = 73% and last year it was 69%
I really hope you're right although I feel your biology predictions are quite on the high side. 102/140 = 73% and last year it was 69%

I think you are right.
My predictions appear to be too high.
Maybe me and you should collaborate on the grade boundary predictions.

Would you like to help me?
Original post by nwmyname
I think you are right.
My predictions appear to be too high.
Maybe me and you should collaborate on the grade boundary predictions.

Would you like to help me?

bro I have no idea though I am less of a reliable source but I'd say if you're going by the same logic as for chemistry, then Bio should be near the 65-67% mark
I think it will be
65%-68% for A (Breadth) was slightly harder due to MCQ's
69-73% for (Depth) as the paper was ok
feel free to comment if you don't agree
Original post by jayeshforce1
I think it will be

are you talking about chem or bio
are you talking about chem or bio

Chem
Chem

last year it was 78%, why would it drop all the way down to that much
last year it was 78%, why would it drop all the way down to that much

Because its new spec.
Because its new spec.

that'll mean looaaaads of people will get As though, don't you think? but yeah I hope you're right
that'll mean looaaaads of people will get As though, don't you think? but yeah I hope you're right

I didnt mean tthat they will only lower it if c funtry does poorly overall and the reason behind it is that the exam is a new spec and few resources are available and not everyone is experienced in teaching them. Honestly it could be either way. How did you and your fellow school mate find the chem exams?
I didnt mean tthat they will only lower it if c funtry does poorly overall and the reason behind it is that the exam is a new spec and few resources are available and not everyone is experienced in teaching them. Honestly it could be either way. How did you and your fellow school mate find the chem exams?

most people found them easy and comparable to those of the old spec unfortunately, was hoping everyone would find it hard so low grade boundaries lol, what about you? I feel like I've got around 108-112, hoping that is an A
most people found them easy and comparable to those of the old spec unfortunately, was hoping everyone would find it hard so low grade boundaries lol, what about you? I feel like I've got around 108-112, hoping that is an A

First paper i struggled but second paper i smashed. Because first paper was partially multiple choice im not sure how i scored on that. i can't predict unfortunately.
Reply 34
Chemistry is normally the highest at around 80% boundaries and it doesn't really change. Since you had to revise the whole textbook twice in this new spec I guess 112 for an A may be harsh. I'd reckon 108 for an A would be reasonable. I got around that so hopefully I scrape that A grade...
Reply 35
I think it will be

Way too low. Those are looking like Physics grade boundaries.

Quick Reply

Latest