The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kitkat7
I'm stuck between Barts and Kings! Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When choosing places to apply for medicine id say your best bet is applying to the place where you have a better chance of being interviewed so if you have very good GCSEs and a high ukcat I'd say kings whereas if you have a high UCAS tariff due to doing more than three a levels and a medium to high ukcat then chose barts
Original post by usycool1
Have a look at this, although it may be a bit out date:*http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

You'll need to avoid GCSE heavy places like Oxford.*

Is Medicine the most competitive subject or is there other subjects more competitive than Medicine?
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Is Medicine the most competitive subject or is there other subjects more competitive than Medicine?

Medicine is a highly competitive degree, it is more competitive at some universities than others just based on numbers applying each year.

Some courses at certain universities are more competitive, for example getting into oxford to study maths is incredibly competitive, so it really just depends.

As a rule of thumb I would say medicine, dentistry, veterinary science and any course at oxbridge are the most competitive to gain access to.

Depends on the university really. However, I think dentistry is more competitive because of the limited number of uni that offers it and the low number of intake of people.

From a 2014 article in the Telegraph:

Last summer, universities in Britain received more than 11 applications for every place to study medicine, up from fewer than nine in 2008. It meant the subject was officially the most in-demand discipline at degree level.Dentistry was not far behind, with 9.7 applications per place, while nursing and veterinary medicine both had 9.2 students chasing each place.Outside the medical world, other subjects were also highly sought-after, with most linked to the promise of a good job after graduating. Astronomy received 7.7 applications per place, teacher training 7.3 applications and economics 6.6. Mechanical engineering, architecture and drama all notched up 6.2 applications per place, while law received 5.4.

Original post by meddad
From a 2014 article in the Telegraph:

Last summer, universities in Britain received more than 11 applications for every place to study medicine, up from fewer than nine in 2008. It meant the subject was officially the most in-demand discipline at degree level.Dentistry was not far behind, with 9.7 applications per place, while nursing and veterinary medicine both had 9.2 students chasing each place.Outside the medical world, other subjects were also highly sought-after, with most linked to the promise of a good job after graduating. Astronomy received 7.7 applications per place, teacher training 7.3 applications and economics 6.6. Mechanical engineering, architecture and drama all notched up 6.2 applications per place, while law received 5.4.

These are interesting statistics aswell, showing the total number of applications for medicine from 2012-2016
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/mr_october_151015_medicine.pdf

medicine will always be completely oversubscribed, I think what may cause the number of applicants to slightly fluctuate could be factors like a drop in the A*/A grades, changes in policies of how places use the ukcat (e.g Liverpool and Bristol now demand the ukcat but before used to be a popular choice for those with low ukcats) or even something like the junior doctors dispute that may put off those on the fence from applying.

Given that over 20,000 people apply for around 6000 places makes medicine competitive statistically like Dentsitry and Vet med, but the standard of applicants and the requirements e.g for the ukcat/GCSEs is higher for medicine, so personally I would say it's more competitive and difficult to get into.
Original post by futuremedic19
These are interesting statistics aswell, showing the total number of applications for medicine from 2012-2016
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/mr_october_151015_medicine.pdf

medicine will always be completely oversubscribed, I think what may cause the number of applicants to slightly fluctuate could be factors like a drop in the A*/A grades, changes in policies of how places use the ukcat (e.g Liverpool and Bristol now demand the ukcat but before used to be a popular choice for those with low ukcats) or even something like the junior doctors dispute that may put off those on the fence from applying.

Given that over 20,000 people apply for around 6000 places makes medicine competitive statistically like Dentsitry and Vet med, but the standard of applicants and the requirements e.g for the ukcat/GCSEs is higher for medicine, so personally I would say it's more competitive and difficult to get into.

I was under the impression that the number of applications for medicine was decreasing slightly because of the decrease in the number of 18 year olds in general, but relatively, it's still pretty competitive like you said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone exclusively doing the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't, but i will probably be applying to BSMS, so i will be taking it :biggrin:

Not sure when to start revision, though...
The essay scares me a bit :colondollar:
Actually I m hailing from India and I just wrote my UKCAT . My score is Verbal reasoning were really bad about 530 and the other two seemed above average but not very good about 690 in both . Now I m really depressed because last year's average was 1900(without decision making) Mine is same as that and I m not sure if any college would call me for an interview as it is very difficult for an International Student due to limited seats .

I m planning to give a try at BMAT too but I dont know the right books and the online courses .PLEASE HELP .. please suggest some colleges for UKCAT ..I wanted to try Bristol but I dont know after this score
Original post by Gogregg
I won't, but i will probably be applying to BSMS, so i will be taking it :biggrin:

Not sure when to start revision, though...
The essay scares me a bit :colondollar:

I'm applying there too. Yeah, the essay seems really erratic for me at times; much of the battle is whether or not the the questions you get suits you, rather than having good essay skills.

Sections 1 and 2 are fine though.
Original post by Pochi101
Actually I m hailing from India and I just wrote my UKCAT . My score is Verbal reasoning were really bad about 530 and the other two seemed above average but not very good about 690 in both . Now I m really depressed because last year's average was 1900(without decision making) Mine is same as that and I m not sure if any college would call me for an interview as it is very difficult for an International Student due to limited seats .

I m planning to give a try at BMAT too but I dont know the right books and the online courses .PLEASE HELP .. please suggest some colleges for UKCAT ..I wanted to try Bristol but I dont know after this score

On the BMAT side of things, if you go on their website, they give you free access to a CGP revision guide covering all aspects of the section 2 specification of the BMAT. You just have to to create an account and fill some information out. Section 1 is fairly similar to the UKCAT, just practise past papers from 2003-2015 and then do the the Oxford TSA, since it's very similar to section 1 of the BMAT. The guys in charge of the BMAT recommend not spending any money on courses and anything similar, as they provide all the resources you really need. You just have to utilise them.

With regards to Bristol, I'm not sure; they don't make it particularly clear on how they assess UKCAT scores.
Hey guys,
I am applying for entry into medicine 2017 as well and was just considering where to apply to. My stats are below
GCSE:7A*,2A,1B,1C ( B in French and C in art)
Alevel prediction from school: A*A*A (biology,chemistry and maths) dropped physics at the end of yr 12
Volunteering: 1 week in psychiatric hospital India, 8 months in Alzhemers and dementia home, 6 months in local hospital in an elderly ward and oncology, medical prefect in school as well as normal prefect
Work experience: 2 days with GP, 2 days in stroke ward shadowing stroke consultant, 1 week in orthopaedics with orthopaedic surgeons
Hobbies: Gym, basketball, badminton, cycling, chess (if that's one)
I'm currently kind of confused where to look to apply as I think my GCSEs aren't that great due to certain subjects and am worried it will be my downfall seeing as medicine is becoming increasingly competitive!! I would love any suggestions of where to apply to! Thanks for the help in advance!!
I'm applying there too. Yeah, the essay seems really erratic for me at times; much of the battle is whether or not the the questions you get suits you, rather than having good essay skills.

Sections 1 and 2 are fine though.

BSMS just seems so nice! The course seems amazing, but i worry that the medics seemed so isolated from the rest of the student body...

I feel like there's some topics I'd love, but some I'd hate, so it seems like a real mixed bag, but oh well...

I'm going to start preparing early September, i think. It shouldn't be too bad, but it's always going to be difficult, just less so if i prepare well :colondollar:

Which other universities are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by Gogregg
BSMS just seems so nice! The course seems amazing, but i worry that the medics seemed so isolated from the rest of the student body...

I feel like there's some topics I'd love, but some I'd hate, so it seems like a real mixed bag, but oh well...

I'm going to start preparing early September, i think. It shouldn't be too bad, but it's always going to be difficult, just less so if i prepare well :colondollar:

Which other universities are you thinking of applying to?

UCL, Imperial and Leeds. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a great idea unless your mock scores are amazing, its very risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Basdemraj
Hey guys,
I am applying for entry into medicine 2017 as well and was just considering where to apply to. My stats are below
GCSE:7A*,2A,1B,1C ( B in French and C in art)
Alevel prediction from school: A*A*A (biology,chemistry and maths) dropped physics at the end of yr 12
Volunteering: 1 week in psychiatric hospital India, 8 months in Alzhemers and dementia home, 6 months in local hospital in an elderly ward and oncology, medical prefect in school as well as normal prefect
Work experience: 2 days with GP, 2 days in stroke ward shadowing stroke consultant, 1 week in orthopaedics with orthopaedic surgeons
Hobbies: Gym, basketball, badminton, cycling, chess (if that's one)
I'm currently kind of confused where to look to apply as I think my GCSEs aren't that great due to certain subjects and am worried it will be my downfall seeing as medicine is becoming increasingly competitive!! I would love any suggestions of where to apply to! Thanks for the help in advance!!

Amazing stats, apart from oxbridge and probably Edinburgh currently it would be difficult to rule anywhere out as you exceed most minimum requirements and would make a competative application to 99% of med schools if you can make a great PS.

Your UKCAT will be the big decider for you.

Well done on excellent stats, your GCSEs are no need to worry and i highly doubt the B in french and C in art will hinder you as often schools look at only the best 6/7/8/9 GCSEs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just out of curiosity, why can't he apply to Oxbridge?
Original post by Dandie12

I don't think she meant he can't, more so that he should should be cautious. I can see why Oxford could be a problem, but I think he has a good shot at Cambridge.
Original post by Dandie12

Oxford like a high % of A* at GCSE and the 2As, the B and the C will pull that down to what i feel will not be a competitive score. Cambridge is based on AS UMS, so it depends but they want a mad BMAT, its dependant for Cambridge but always risky. I also tend to group the two as one, he will have a much better shot at Cambridge than oxford but its always a big risk.

Edinburgh is absolutely ridiculous in terms of what you need to score enough for an offer.

Not meant to be offensive just stating from experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending