The Student Room Group

Did I overreact or not?

I'm 20 just found out that my brother has died. Our dad died last year. Anyway I'm supposed to be going to work tomorrow but I said that I don't know if I'm going to go or not and a family friend said "why wouldn't you go, its not like you can save him or do anything for him now is it? He's already dead" This made me completely lose my temper I was shouting in her face and I was shaking I came so close to actually hitting her. Someone told me I overreacted but I didn't think I did. Do you think this was an overreaction or not and why?
Reply 1
No
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 20 just found out that my brother has died. Our dad died last year. Anyway I'm supposed to be going to work tomorrow but I said that I don't know if I'm going to go or not and a family friend said "why wouldn't you go, its not like you can save him or do anything for him now is it? He's already dead" This made me completely lose my temper I was shouting in her face and I was shaking I came so close to actually hitting her. Someone told me I overreacted but I didn't think I did. Do you think this was an overreaction or not and why?

Completely justified to lose your temper - it's an awful thing for you to go through, you have my condolences, and your family "friend" shouldn't have been so insensitive.

It's not worth you giving these sorts of people your time or emotional energy; you should try and walk away in the future, don't give them the time of day, don't care about their existence. You don't need that sort of toxicity in your life.
So sorry to hear about your brother, I don't think you over reacted at all! Her comment was completely out of order and insensitive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No! U didnt AT ALL. if i was you i would have done something worser so.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so messed up the family friend had it coming. I'm sorry about your brother, and your actions were completely justified. Definitely.
Nope

Cant believe there are such heartless pigs in our world :frown:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I too don't think you over reacted in the slightest. That comment she made was totally unjustified.
Yeah you over reacted. I get it you're upset etc etc.. but there is no need to be THAT emotional for anything really. I would apologies to that family friend if I was in your position.

Original post by PrincessBO$$
Nope

Cant believe there are such heartless pigs in our world :frown:

The friend is a heartless pig for stating the obvious..? plz. There is no justification for lashing out at someone who is giving sound, logical advice.
So sorry about your loss. But yes you're actions are justified. This family 'friend' is out of order and insensitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 34908seikj
Yeah you over reacted. I get it you're upset etc etc.. but there is no need to be THAT emotional for anything really. I would apologies to that family friend if I was in your position.

The friend is a heartless pig for stating the obvious..? plz. There is no justification for lashing out at someone who is giving sound, logical advice.

Erm, OP lost their brother. Of course their gonna get 'that' emotional. They are grieving. Don't be a jerk

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not logical in the sense that most people tend to be struck with grief after the death of a loved one, it's irrelevant whether you can do anything about it, furthermore, they clearly wouldn't have been able to work to anywhere near full capacity and would likely have gotten in the way at work. Not to mention the part about how insensitive such a comment is

Posted from TSR Mobile

First, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Second, that family 'friend' is not a friend of you or your family.

Third, neither is the person who claimed that you overreacted.

Fourth, of course you didn't overreact.

Fifth, take all the time that you need. I hope you and your family help each other through this difficult time.

Fair point:colonhash:
Well, that was a bit insensitive.
Depends on the tone of voice and the motivation behind what they said.
The comment that ***** made is absolutely absurd. That would be enough for me to end the friendship.
[QUOTE="34908seikj;66752660"]Yeah you over reacted. I get it you're upset etc etc.. but there is no need to be THAT emotional for anything really. I would Piss to that family friend if I was in your position.

The friend is a heartless pig for stating the obvious..? plz. There is no justification for lashing out at someone who is giving sound, logical advice.[/QUOTEQUO

Piss off you stupid troll.
Reply 18

Tell your friend the internet has unanimously agreed that she is absolutely s**t at being empathetic. She should never ever try ever again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending