The Student Room Group

Help With Maths Question

I need help with this questions which has been bothering me for a while.

Maths Question 8.png

It is from the Edexcel 9-1 Maths Specimen Paper :smile:
I am aware of the answer since a mark scheme is also on the pdf however I just can't figure out how to work it out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Daydreamer3

Maths Question 8.png

Those two angle are equal to each other, the opposite ones - since it's a parallelogram. Set them up in an equation and solve for x.

Try do it yourself but here is the answer:

Spoiler

Now see if you can figure out how to find y
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

Maths Question 8.png

I am aware of the answer since a mark scheme is also on the pdf however I just can't figure out how to work it out.

opposite angles are equal

2x+43=5x-20

3x-20=43

3x=63

x=21

Now to get y...

Spoiler

Original post by 34908seikj
Those two angle are equal to each other, the opposite ones - since it's a parallelogram. Set them up in an equation and solve for x.

Try do it yourself but here is the answer:

Spoiler

Now see if you can figure out how to find y

I honestly cant even figure it out, I think I partially understand it but idk whats wrong with me today lol
Do you substitute the 21 in for x?....
I honestly cant even figure it out, I think I partially understand it but idk whats wrong with me today lol

Yes. Remember 360 degrees make up a parallelogram and opposite angles are equal.
Original post by AAls
opposite angles are equal

2x+43=5x-20

3x-20=43

3x=63

x=21

Now to get y...

Spoiler

Where did you get the 170 from? Also what does bl tr and br mean?
Sorry if these are stupid questions.. aha
Reply 6
Where did you get the 170 from? Also what does bl tr and br mean?
Sorry if these are stupid questions.. aha

Stand for bottom left, top right and bottom right angles.

Once you've solved for x you can sub the value in to get two angles. Angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 therefore doing 360-85-85 (360-170) will give you 190.

Same principle again. Opposite angles are equal and you know that the last two angles add up to 190. Therefore each angle would have to be 95 (190/2) for them to be equal. You would then equate 95 to 4y-105 then solve for y as previously shown.
Original post by AAls
Stand for bottom left, top right and bottom right angles.

Once you've solved for x you can sub the value in to get two angles. Angles in a quadrilateral add up to 360 therefore doing 360-85-85 (360-170) will give you 190.

Same principle again. Opposite angles are equal and you know that the last two angles add up to 190. Therefore each angle would have to be 95 (190/2) for them to be equal. You would then equate 95 to 4y-105 then solve for y as previously shown.

Oh okay I finally understood it, thank you so much :smile:
Do you know what this topic is specifically called? Anywhere I can practice using worksheets ?
Original post by 34908seikj
Yes. Remember 360 degrees make up a parallelogram and opposite angles are equal.

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 9
Oh okay I finally understood it, thank you so much :smile:
Do you know what this topic is specifically called? Anywhere I can practice using worksheets ?

No worries. :smile:

It's called Geometry.

Haven't done GCSE Maths in a couple of years but I remember mymaths and bbc bitesize being useful for revision. Don't remember using worksheets for maths (just a personal thing) but just using past papers all the time. Email your teacher for some worksheets if you can.

I think you could benefit from some youtube vids as well. Hegartymaths is something you could look into.

How you feeling about the new maths spec? Heard there's mechanics :biggrin:
Original post by AAls

It's called Geometry.

Haven't done GCSE Maths in a couple of years but I remember mymaths and bbc bitesize being useful for revision. Don't remember using worksheets for maths (just a personal thing) but just using past papers all the time. Email your teacher for some worksheets if you can.

I think you could benefit from some youtube vids as well. Hegartymaths is something you could look into.

There isn't, at least on Edexcel. It's a fair bit harder, tbf, although I enjoy Maths so I didn't really notice a huge jump, people have been really hit hard. There's a bit of Statistics (venn diagrams and notation), but nothing as complex as mechanics. If there was, I would curl up into a ball and rock back and forth ._. Mechanics looks like literal hell, looking at M1/M2.
Reply 11
Original post by _gcx
There isn't, at least on Edexcel. It's a fair bit harder, tbf, although I enjoy Maths so I didn't really notice a huge jump, people have been really hit hard. There's a bit of Statistics (venn diagrams and notation), but nothing as complex as mechanics. If there was, I would curl up into a ball and rock back and forth ._. Mechanics looks like literal hell, looking at M1/M2.

Yeah mechanics looks quite hard and it is when you first start M1 since you have very little prior knowledge. But you get used to the jump from no mechanics to M1 after some time then from M1 to M2 the progression is quite nice.

Used to loathe Mechanics but now I'm fine challenging myself with M3. Not to say M3 isn't difficult or anything :wink:
Original post by AAls

It's called Geometry.

Oh okay
And I don't particularly think the new spec is immensely hard since we year 10s were newly introduced to it so it was no surprise as we weren't as much familiar with the old spec. So the new specification is just normal GCSE maths for us if that makes any sense :biggrin:
Reply 13

image.jpgI recommend that you buy these they are really helpful each topic is explained well with questions to try in the workbook. You can get these for higher and foundation tier.
Reply 14
The book can be purchased from waterstones or whsmith. These pages might help with that question you was answering just then.
image.jpg
Reply 15
Original post by _gcx

M1 is actually considered a very straight forward module, among C1, C2 and D1.
Original post by JackT2000
The book can be purchased from waterstones or whsmith. These pages might help with that question you was answering just then.
image.jpg

Oh thank you, I will have a look at these and if liked I will purchase :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest