The Student Room Group

Sky Internet - Reviews?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of setting up the internet for my new house. At the moment it seems like my housemates and I will be going with Sky, since it ends up the cheapest and they have a decent contract length.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with Sky that they wouldn't mind sharing. Any info on speed, range of the WiFi, how many devices can easily use the WiFi at once, customer service, time taken for setup etc. We're going for 17Mbps, there will be six people in the house, and we live in London so service should be reasonably good. Any advice would be gratefully received :smile:

Ta :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I work for Sky and I can tell you it's the best internet around. No bias :yep:

Definitely get it please
Reply 2
sky is pretty good to be fair. Virgin and BT are also pretty sound. Just stay away from talktalk
Reply 3
It's awful from what I have heard
Reply 4
Well, I have had frequent intermittent problems with the line dropping out every few days, had people come in and do nothing. That said, their customer service is perfect.
Reply 5
Great customer service.

The internet drops out occassionally but you'll have no issue with bandwidth - we have 12/13 devices connected to it at anyone time and aslong as you're within range of it, the speed is absolutely fine :smile: Might want to invest in an extender too!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of setting up the internet for my new house. At the moment it seems like my housemates and I will be going with Sky, since it ends up the cheapest and they have a decent contract length.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with Sky that they wouldn't mind sharing. Any info on speed, range of the WiFi, how many devices can easily use the WiFi at once, customer service, time taken for setup etc. We're going for 17Mbps, there will be six people in the house, and we live in London so service should be reasonably good. Any advice would be gratefully received :smile:

Having just switched to BT last week from Sky.. i can tell you SKY>BT

My BT speeds are actually quicker (12mb to 10mb) however the signal drops on and off sometimes. I have placed my router onto a channel with zero interfrence (Neighbours are all on 11 i am on 1) and little improvment.
Original post by UWS
I work for Sky and I can tell you it's the best internet around. No bias :yep:

Definitely get it please

Sky is rubbish. We can't get anything else where I live. Internet constantly goes down, prices are extortionate. Spent half an hour yesterday waiting for Customer Services.
Reply 8
I've had sky for a while now and it all seems fine. It doesn't drop all that often. Only had it drop for longer than a few seconds about twice in the last year or two. The speed stays consistent too it seems. So yeah, haven't really had problems personally

Edit. I did have a bit of problem with the range, my PC could barely get connection and it was on first floor on the back garden side and the router was on ground floor by the front door. And it was only 2 bedroom terraced house so not a big place. But I got a USB WiFi thingy for my PC and it was fine so it may have been crap hardware on my PC and not a problem with the signal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone,

B l o o d y. AWFUL!

Don't do it, run whilst you still can LTC! I have never had a positive experience with them.
Original post by iEthan
B l o o d y. AWFUL!

Don't do it, run whilst you still can LTC! I have never had a positive experience with them.

Ahhh noo, care to expand on that?

Seems Sky really polarise opinions :holmes:
Ahhh noo, care to expand on that?

Seems Sky really polarise opinions :holmes:

I got download speeds of about ~1MBit/s on a good day. Most of the time it was painfully slow and their 'fibre' is a bloody joke. :angry: so slow, customer service is abysmal and when we said we'd have to leave them unless we could get our issues resolved the support agent just said: "Yeah, OK good luck." and hung up. So we moved to Virgin and oh my god. So much better. I average speeds of 210MBit/s and have had a router replaced no questions asked. Excellent customer service and they don't treat you like an idiot - which is especially annoying... they were always condescending and rude and never helpful.

Please don't choose Sky LTC. It'll send you up the wall. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
(I live in London too!) ^^^^^
You're always going to have problems with whoever you go to I assume. ISP customer service always blows.

Personally I'd go with BT or Virgin.
I've had Sky Broadband for over a year now. We got it when it was free (so you only have to pay for line rental), and when it came up for renewal we called them to say we were going to leave if the price went up, and they said it was no problem to keep to the price the same, so we're still only paying line rental.

We have 6 devices connected to it at most times, not all in use though. I've run a speed test on my iPad whilst streaming a YouTube video on my laptop and got a download speed of 11.3 Mbps, which is perfectly fine for what I'm using it for.

We had the router delivered to flat so it was there when we got there, so plugged it in straight away and it was ready to use in under 5 minutes.
Reply 15
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Having just switched to BT last week from Sky.. i can tell you SKY>BT

My BT speeds are actually quicker (12mb to 10mb) however the signal drops on and off sometimes. I have placed my router onto a channel with zero interfrence (Neighbours are all on 11 i am on 1) and little improvment.

What router were you using though? it wasn't the free one you get was it?
Reply 16
Btw, i'm on BT and my speeds are pretty constant. I'd obviously recommend upgrading the router from the one they provide (as I would with any ISP). We have around 12 devices connected, and 8 are pretty much constantly in use. We very rarely see down time and customer service is pretty good.

I am not on fibre.
Original post by iHammmy
What router were you using though? it wasn't the free one you get was it?

It was ... ?
Sky is awful, do not go for it. Internet been bad for years.

The worst part about sky is that even though we constantly try to call them to get help fixing our *****y internet (top speeds but stupidly inconsistent so can't play games/ watch live streams without problems), they won't help/ send us a new router/ let us do bloody anything unless we sign a deal to be with them longer.

Leaving as soon as our contract runs out, they're awful.
Reply 19
Original post by Betelgeuse-
It was ... ?

The free routers companies provide are awful. Literally any other router would be an upgrade :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending