The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drandy76
What do you actually do in an astronomy GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is more difficult than ordinary GCSEs as it teaches you some pretty difficult concepts (some seen in A2 Physics) and the examination is 2 hours + course work. I wouldn't say I found it particularly difficult, even though I didn't study that much in Year 9 (played lots of league), but the main reason I got a B grade is due to the fact that I came to this country in Year 8, my English was really bad in Year 9 and I I ****ed up the controlled assessment/written part of the exam pretty badly as a result of that. Either way, I loved the course and it kind of sparked my love for physics and cosmology; the teacher taught us the subject not only to pass the exam, but with the main goal to make us love astronomy/physics. If you are curious, I got to do Astronomy GCSE because my school nominated me for a one year course at the Greenwich Royal Observatory which is where I was taught.
What do you actually do in an astronomy GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:moon:
Original post by jneill
:moon:

:rofl:

We actually did that, depending on which course work you decide to take. I chose the shadow stick experiment and lunar features, bought my first telescope for the latter. :smile:
Original post by Insight314
:rofl:

We actually did that, depending on which course work you decide to take. I chose the shadow stick experiment and lunar features, bought my first telescope for the latter. :smile:

This actually reminded me that I've a pair of binoculars lying about somewhere, might go look for them in a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to go to sixth form tomorrow to take a pic for the enrichment/Oxbridge section of their new prospectus.

It's gonna be realllyy awkward if I miss my offer... I'll probably just call them and tell them not to put my profile in :redface:
It is more difficult than ordinary GCSEs as it teaches you some pretty difficult concepts (some seen in A2 Physics) and the examination is 2 hours + course work. I wouldn't say I found it particularly difficult, even though I didn't study that much in Year 9 (played lots of league), but the main reason I got a B grade is due to the fact that I came to this country in Year 8, my English was really bad in Year 9 and I I ****ed up the controlled assessment/written part of the exam pretty badly as a result of that. Either way, I loved the course and it kind of sparked my love for physics and cosmology; the teacher taught us the subject not only to pass the exam, but with the main goal to make us love astronomy/physics. If you are curious, I got to do Astronomy GCSE because my school nominated me for a one year course at the Greenwich Royal Observatory which is where I was taught.

Was mostly curious as this was the first time I've heard of it before
Original post by Serine Soul
I have to go to sixth form tomorrow to take a pic for the enrichment/Oxbridge section of their new prospectus.

Wow, your school gets people into Oxbridge often?

My school has never gotten a single person into Oxbridge through the three times it has changed from a tech college into a school and then into an academy again. They didn't even know how to react when I got my offer lol, the head of sixth form was so awkward about it since the only person to get into Oxbridge from the school is a person who is not even a member of the sixth form. :rofl:

It's gonna be realllyy awkward if I miss my offer... I'll probably just call them and tell them not to put my profile in :redface:

it's fine - noone will remember a couple of years down the line (take that as an insult or comforting piece of info, whichever pleases you more)
Wow, your school gets people into Oxbridge often?

My school has never gotten a single person into Oxbridge through the three times it has changed from a tech college into a school and then into an academy again. They didn't even know how to react when I got my offer lol, the head of sixth form was so awkward about it since the only person to get into Oxbridge from the school is a person who is not even a member of the sixth form. :rofl:

It's a a sixth form college, so essentially all the kids wanting to do A Levels in my town go there (many schools don't have sixth forms, and those that do have crap ones), and there must be at least one or two getting into Oxbridge each year! (There's over 1,000 of us in each year)

Haha my GCSE school has never sent anyone to Oxbridge afaik
It's a a sixth form college, so essentially all the kids wanting to do A Levels in my town go there (many schools don't have sixth forms, and those that do have crap ones), and there must be at least one or two getting into Oxbridge each year! (There's over 1,000 of us in each year)

My first school has a massive board in the dining room full of all the Oxbridge students in its history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
it's fine - noone will remember a couple of years down the line (take that as an insult or comforting piece of info, whichever pleases you more)

Comforting but lol, I'll be walking around my area and people who know me will ask. A lot of people know me :'(
(edited 7 years ago)

Wow, I completely forgot that there are schools like these. My sixth form school (Year 7-13) is pretty small, I would approximate only about 200 (out of thin air) being in sixth form and quite a few only do BTECs.
My first school has a massive board in the dining room full of all the Oxbridge students in its history

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow...how old is your first school?
Wow...how old is your first school?

50 ish I think, they use a large font to make things look more impressive though

Posted from TSR Mobile
50 ish I think, they use a large font to make things look more impressive though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol neat trick
I feel too nervous, more nervous than what's normal, about the whole thing. I mean, I can literally feel my heart beating in every minute I'm awake.

I've always been like this about exams and results I guess. :sigh:
I feel too nervous, more nervous than what's normal, about the whole thing. I mean, I can literally feel my heart beating in every minute I'm awake.

I've always been like this about exams and results I guess. :sigh:

Yea Ive been feeling particularly stressed and unproductive today. Doesnt help knowing they already know our results. I can imagine the admissions looking through the list of offer holders and making a mental tick or cross next to each name.

over 1000!! and I thought 300 in a year was too much 😂
That's probably about the same as us though, we usually only get one person a year and the last person to get to Cambridge was my sister so fingers crossed I can follow in her footsteps (I am glad that they haven't mentioned it anywhere though jic I don't get it 😁)
Original post by EnglishMuon
Yea Ive been feeling particularly stressed and unproductive today. Doesnt help knowing they already know our results. I can imagine the admissions looking through the list of offer holders and making a mental tick or cross next to each name.

They know our results??

Oh gosh I think I'm going to faint
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
over 1000!! and I thought 300 in a year was too much 😂
That's probably about the same as us though, we usually only get one person a year and the last person to get to Cambridge was my sister so fingers crossed I can follow in her footsteps (I am glad that they haven't mentioned it anywhere though jic I don't get it 😁)

I feel your pain, i now have to apply for Cambz for a masters just to follow on my brothers footsteps, every younger sibling living in their brothers/sisters shadow is rooting for you fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending