The Student Room Group

I think ive been taught how to drive WRONG ??!

I just watched a video urging people to stop driving how "lazy instructors teach them ".
This guy said you have to have foot on the revs at all times when you start the car ? I understand this for hill starts but if its flat what is the need ?

I usually put the clutch down raising it to the biting point, as soon as I get moving put some revs on.

Please give me advice my test is in like a week ! :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by im.a.witch
I just watched a video urging people to stop driving how "lazy instructors teach them ".
This guy said you have to have foot on the revs at all times when you start the car ? I understand this for hill starts but if its flat what is the need ?

I usually put the clutch down raising it to the biting point, as soon as I get moving put some revs on.

I don't think that things like this are going to lead to you failing your test. I don't start my car like that and I am not sure why it would be considered lazy.
1stDrive by any chance?

The ideal way is to use the gas, less chance of stalling, easier to get away quicker if needed.

Now, if this is the video I think you're talking about, a big point in that argument with the whole gas vs no gas malarky is Petrol vs Diesel. Specifically, small petrols, the sort you're going to get after passing your test.

- Diesels are very forgiving with the clutch thanks to amount of torque they generate at the low end, most will even happily pull themselves along at idle RPMs without you touching the gas or the clutch pedal (as long as you're already moving a bit)

- Small petrols can be brutal with pure clutch work. Some will behave like a diesel in the sense of no gas (though if you slow down and let the RPMs drop to idle speeds, the car isn't going to pull itself unless you're slipping the clutch), they'll move on the clutch just fine. Some need a bit help, and some outright refuse to do anything without a good boot of the gas pedal.

I mean, strictly speaking, as long as you're in control and not causing danger, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd use gas in most situations, the only exception would be in stop and go traffic, in which case I'd go on pure clutch work unless the road is too steep. Obviously, if you're going to get moving on the clutch alone (where sensible), make sure the car can actually do it.
You can move off without gas in a diesel, so if you're doing that and you're not stalling and you're moving off in a safe and controlled manner then that's all that matters, ignore the video.
Original post by im.a.witch

Teaches good clutch control. You're fine. Trust your driving instructor and not some *****y youtube video.
Reply 5
Original post by TheMcSame
1stDrive by any chance?

The ideal way is to use the gas, less chance of stalling, easier to get away quicker if needed.

Now, if this is the video I think you're talking about, a big point in that argument with the whole gas vs no gas malarky is Petrol vs Diesel. Specifically, small petrols, the sort you're going to get after passing your test.

- Diesels are very forgiving with the clutch thanks to amount of torque they generate at the low end, most will even happily pull themselves along at idle RPMs without you touching the gas or the clutch pedal (as long as you're already moving a bit)

- Small petrols can be brutal with pure clutch work. Some will behave like a diesel in the sense of no gas (though if you slow down and let the RPMs drop to idle speeds, the car isn't going to pull itself unless you're slipping the clutch), they'll move on the clutch just fine. Some need a bit help, and some outright refuse to do anything without a good boot of the gas pedal.

I mean, strictly speaking, as long as you're in control and not causing danger, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd use gas in most situations, the only exception would be in stop and go traffic, in which case I'd go on pure clutch work unless the road is too steep. Obviously, if you're going to get moving on the clutch alone (where sensible), make sure the car can actually do it.

Thank you so much. I drive both diesel and petrol and I totally get what you were saying about the difference. Some petrol clutches can be AWFUL. Diesel lets you get away with murder. haha

This video just totally threw me yes it was the 1st drive one :smile: I never stall **touch wood** using the technique I use I just thought the examiner may take a dim view of it following the suggestions of the video.

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
You can move off without gas in a diesel, so if you're doing that and you're not stalling and you're moving off in a safe and controlled manner then that's all that matters, ignore the video.

Thank you. Yeah I think he was trying to scare people of the difference between petrol and diesel. The only difference is the petrol needs a wee bit more revs, even in the petrol I don't use revs to start like he suggested only if I really need them.

Quick Reply

Latest