The Student Room Group

RAF or Royal Navy? Please help!

IVE PUT PARAGRAPHS IN AND WHEN I CLICK 'SAVE' IT JUST CLUMPS TOGETHER AS ONE, I DID PUT IT INTO PARGRAPHS SO DONT BLAME ME.I need some serious career advice, ive recently decided I want to join the military in either the RAF or the Royal Navy.I have looked at Weapon System Operator (loadmaster) in the RAF and have looked at Aircrewmen in the Royal Navy.Whats the difference in these jobs?Whats the same/similar? which would be better for travelling as I would like to travel the world, RAF aircrew or Navy aircrew?is aircrew a dangerous job? if so, why?Would I be deployed on a ship for months if I joined as aircrew in the Royal Navy? If not, where would I be/what would I be doing?Do Royal Navy aircrew and other members get sent to wars such as Afghanistan and other future wars or is that just the RAF?How hard is Aircrew, like as in how hard is it to get the job?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
First of all, focus on the way you write. Insert some paragraphs into your post and tidy up the excessive grammar mistakes, and people might take you a little more serious. Once you've done that, I'll have a go at answering your many questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lekzz
First of all, focus on the way you write. Insert some paragraphs into your post and tidy up the excessive grammar mistakes, and people might take you a little more serious. One you've done that, I'll have a go at answering your many questions.
a little harsh
Original post by bry0931
X.

I personally (take note i am in australia and the RAF is called the air force here) prefer the air force and am applying for pilot. It really is about what 'calls' to you more, and think about it - which would you prefer to be doing for the next 10 years if not the rest of your life...
Anyways feel free to ask me for clarification or if you want me to answer any questions :smile:

Cheers
Ricky
Reply 4
Original post by BasharAssad
a little harsh

I don't think it is too harsh, the poster has clearly done no research at all and has asked over 16 questions (lost count at 16) in the middle of a huge wall of text which is bad etiquette at least. Both the main roles he highlighted are senior roles within the services and expect the poster to at least put some structure into his post to meet basic standards. Answering it will take an awfully long time, so the least you can expect is for the poster to take the time to ask it properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lekzz
First of all, focus on the way you write. Insert some paragraphs into your post and tidy up the excessive grammar mistakes, and people might take you a little more serious. Once you've done that, I'll have a go at answering your many questions.

I did put paragraphs in, but when I clicked save it just clumped together as one, not my fault!
Reply 6
Spend a bit of time on both the RAF and RN careers sites and look at the role portrait. That'll answer many of your questions.

Then think about the type of aircraft you could be posted on (again, this will come from the careers sites) and where and how they are used. That'll inform you about where you might travel to.

Then think a little broader, which service appeals more? Which would you rather spend ~10+ years in?

Aircrew is pretty much the most competitive role in the armed forces, you have to show you want it. You do that by showing you've done the research.
Do some research and read the official websites. Thoroughly. There's plenty of info there which answers your questions. Have a look at pprune, navy-net and e-goat. People will be happy to help for specific questions, but you'll have to do some work for yourself first. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest