The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hskjlclcn
For what it's worth here are my stupendously awful predictions.

Championship
Top 2: Newcastle, Brighton
Playoffs: Norwich, Derby, Brentford and Wednesday
Relegated: Barnsley, Burton, Rotherham

League 1
Top 2: Millwall, Southend
Playoffs: Bolton, Peterborough, Bradford, Cov
Relegated: Shrewsbury, Oldham, Swindon, Wimbledon

League 2
Top 3: Plymouth, Carlisle, Pompey
Playoffs: Doncaster, Orient, Crewe, Wycombe
Relegated: Newport, Grimsby

I think we will do well to finish in the top half, just a heads up. Mowbray deciding to bin almost an entire midfield has put paid to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
I think we will do well to finish in the top half, just a heads up. Mowbray deciding to bin almost an entire midfield has put paid to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think you're owed a top 6 finish after all these years but I've read about all your departures and am sort of regretting that prediction already
Original post by sr90
Newcastle's squad is ridiculous. I've got £50 on them beating Reading's total of 106 points.
Consistency is an issue.
Personally I'd like to see Brentford do well. They've a lovely style of football.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Think you're owed a top 6 finish after all these years but I've read about all your departures and am sort of regretting that prediction already

Last season was the best chance we will have for a while, and we blew it in spectacular fashion. Mowbray has offloaded 3 very good midfielders for L1, in addition to losing Murphy and Maddison. There is also no adequate replacement for Armstrong and Aaron Martin was offloaded for no good reason either. Think it will be mid-table or lower to be honest.
Welcome to the championship, Rafa.
I think it's fair to say Fulham just pulled off the first shock of the season.
Ronaldo Vieira is neither Ronaldo nor Vieira. To the surprise of nobody.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Welcome to the championship, Rafa.

Original post by Tempest II

Fans of Norwich, Villa, and a few other clubs mist be hoping its not the last time Newcastle lose this season. Good wins for the two East Anglian clubs and in the fourth division an away point for the Bees at Cambridge.
Original post by Tempest II

Anyone know any clubs after Nahki Wells? I heard Fulham and a few others have an interest

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think 3 minutes is a new Leeds record for time taken to destroy pre season optimism
Don't think Lescott will solve the problem either. Really looking forward to our game against Sheffield Wednesday.
It's going to be very interesting to see how Villa respond this weekend. Lose and the pressure will be heaped on Di Matteo.
Original post by The Wavefunction
It's going to be very interesting to see how Villa respond this weekend. Lose and the pressure will be heaped on Di Matteo.

Which would be farcical seeing how the season has barely started.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which would be farcical seeing how the season has barely started.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, but that's modern football, unfortunately.
4 goals for Ched Evans already
A win for the Rams tonight. After the defeat at the weekend any win will do!
Original post by sr90
4 goals for Ched Evans already

First tonight was an absolute rocket, he's genuinely such a class player. Our other two league goals he's been involved too - won a penalty and hit the bar to allow the ball to be headed in
Original post by joddcfc
First tonight was an absolute rocket, he's genuinely such a class player. Our other two league goals he's been involved too - won a penalty and hit the bar to allow the ball to be headed in

Makes you think where he'd be right now if it wasn't for that court case
Before I go and lump on Shane Duffy for top-scorer - can you win it for scoring loads of own goals? 3 in two games.

Edit: And now a red card as well. What a week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Last season was the best chance we will have for a while, and we blew it in spectacular fashion. Mowbray has offloaded 3 very good midfielders for L1, in addition to losing Murphy and Maddison. There is also no adequate replacement for Armstrong and Aaron Martin was offloaded for no good reason either. Think it will be mid-table or lower to be honest.

Hi Midlander,

I started with optimism for this season too but the squad is quite bare. I went to the only win of the season, which was an entertaining game. Jones was brilliant and Reid will be useful. Midfield looks quite weak without Fleck and Thompson. We need a top 6 finish but a mid table is likely.

Reda has to offered a contract, if he is fit with so many young players, all the experience we can get must be welcome but I don't think Mowbray rates him.

Quick Reply

Latest