The Student Room Group

M3 Before M2

Can you learn M3 without studying M2 yet. My school are not teaching me M3 and I would like to learn M3 but its still summer so I have no way of getting any resources, any advice?
Original post by Sami Cheqrouni
Can you learn M3 without studying M2 yet. My school are not teaching me M3 and I would like to learn M3 but its still summer so I have no way of getting any resources, any advice?

Perhaps this would be best asking in the maths forum. I do not know the answer to your question but I would advise that you study M2 first anyway because there's not much of a reason to do it the other way round - I'm not sure the relative difficulty of M2 compared to M3 either.
Original post by Sami Cheqrouni

Not sure about other exam boards; but for AQA you can do any Mechanics modules in any order as long as you've done M1 which is the basis to all of them. I did M3 and M2 for AQA this year and they are completely different modules, so you can self-teach yourself whichever one. Keep in mind that M3 might be a tough self-teach given that AQA has no official M3 resources.

M2:
- Work, Energy and Power
- Hooke's Law
- Verical/horizontal circular motion
- Differential equations; involves links between displacement, velocity and acceleration
- Centre of Mass
- Angular speed/acceleration

M3:
- Further projectiles
- Geometric and vector approaches towards relative velocities
- Impulses of objects in collisions
- Dimensional analysis
- Newton's Law of Restitution and coefficient of restitution 'ee'
- Further collisions in 1D and 2D

As you can see, the two are vastly different. The only link I can see is using work, power and energy formula dimensions in dimensional analysis of M3.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
If you have a good grasp of physics and mechanics in general, you certainly can, however, most of M3 is built upon ideas you have learnt in M2, so it would be much easier and smoother to go through M2 first then M3. Do as I did, even if your school teaches M2, still self teach M2 then do M3. M3 is considerably harder than M2, M2 is a walk in the park to be frank, while M3 has some formidable questions by A-Level standards.
As for resources, there is a torrent somewhere around the vast world of the internet that contains all the edexcel books for maths, find it and you will have saved yourself a lot of money.
How come you want to do M3 so hastily?

Quick Reply

Latest