The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help

Hi all! Results day is nearly here but I'm already stressing about my university application.. We haven't yet received much support in college, particularly in regards to personal statements, so I'm asking TSR for help...

I'm likely applying to Oxford, Bath and Exeter to study Economics (and Management at Oxford.) I'm struggling to find the most appropriate books to read, and how to mention them in my PS. So really I'm asking if anyone has any good reading recommendations, perhaps an example PS if they know they did good, or just general advice.

Thank you in advance (: Good luck to everyone in dealing with results day anxiety too!
It's not so much about appropriate books to read, it should just be something you genuinely find interesting and enjoyed learning about in your own time. Think back on the topics you've done at school and how you decided to do economics. What is is that interests you? Then research that subject and find more information on it- it doesn't have to be in a book, internet articles are fine if you can talk about them in depth on your personal statement.

If you do want to read a book don't worry about how well known it is- actually it's probably better if it's a bit obscure because it shows you found it yourself instead of getting it from a reading list. Don't rely on other people's recommendations. If they found a book interesting it doesn't mean you have to as well!

In your personal statement reference a book/article/topic and go into depth about what it taught you, why you liked it, whether you agree or disagree if applicable. You really only need one or two specific subject areas to talk about as long as you explain them.
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Hi all! Results day is nearly here but I'm already stressing about my university application.. We haven't yet received much support in college, particularly in regards to personal statements, so I'm asking TSR for help...

I'm likely applying to Oxford, Bath and Exeter to study Economics (and Management at Oxford.) I'm struggling to find the most appropriate books to read, and how to mention them in my PS. So really I'm asking if anyone has any good reading recommendations, perhaps an example PS if they know they did good, or just general advice.

Thank you in advance (: Good luck to everyone in dealing with results day anxiety too!

There are some great subject reading suggestions here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3986251*
Original post by DeafeningSilence

Hi DeafeningSilence,

Don't worry too much about reading and mentioning specific books in your PS. It should be first and foremost about YOU and what motivates you to study this subject. It is nice to add some examples (books read, work experience...anything that's relevant really!) but your PS should reflect your passion and ability to think and undertake further studies.

You might want to check this vlog to help you plan your PS.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions! :smile:

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending