The Student Room Group

BLM protestors block entry to Heathrow and Birmingham airports

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Virgil.
Fat that there are white people saying there is no need for BLM in the UK, is actually all the more reason why there is a need for BLM in the UK.

Because reasons.

So if black people say there is no need for alllivesmatter, does that mean there is more reason to have it?
Original post by Virgil.
Mate, the police in the UK are just as racist. Police brutality against blacks in the UK is a very real problem.

Name and shame these events of police brutality specifically against blacks then.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The civil rights movement was about black people having civil rights and equality, yano not being treated like underclass scum.

Here in the UK a couple of black criminals (Who made lives for everyone arround them miserable) got shot trying to evade arrest or cause harm to others just as happens to white scumbag criminals endangering others and profiting from their misery

How is it comparable. MLK would be turning in his grave at the stupidity of you all

No comment
Original post by Trinculo
I understand what the grievances are and to a limited extent, I agree with some of them. However, I have almost no sympathy for them (in the UK). Just as I don't have any particular sympathy with "alllivesmatter", BLM in the UK I see as almost being insulting.

In the States, there is a big problem. Black people are being shot by law enforcement disproportionately and sometimes seemingly without reason.

In the UK, some people feel they have to jump on this bandwagon -and as a headlining example have outlined the plight of career criminals shot in the process of criminal acts - and this is the best they can do.

In the US, they bring up the carer who was shot on the ground next to his patient. In the UK, BLM are highlighting a man shot in the process of breaking another criminal out of custody in an armed raid. Really?

For my money, all BLM UK are doing is undermining their own cause by turning people against them and highlighting the deficiencies of their cause celebres

Okay. No comment
Original post by viffer
All Travellers Matter .....

Get the attention-seeking f**kwits out of the way

Don't try to dismiss the real concerns and sufferings of a group of people.
Reply 65
Original post by Wired_1800
Don't try to dismiss the real concerns and sufferings of a group of people.
Errrrrrrrrrrr ...... "No comment"

Which would appear to be de rigeur response in your world
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright, as a black person, I don't agree at al with the blocking Heathrow thing- that was definitely the wrong approach. But at the same time, the BLM movement shouldn't be looked down upon. Its for a good cause, and quite frankly it isn't affecting other races negatively either.

Yes the amount of black people shot in the UK are far less than those in the US. And yes, black people in the UK are much safer than elsewhere *cough cough US*, but there still isn't equality between white people and other races. That cannot be denied. And BLM also fights for this equality between the races. I saw somebody say that maybe black people should get degrees and jobs blah blah, but the matter of the fact is, black people need to work so much harder to get to places than white British people. In all the top universities, black people are amongst the minorities, and its not because they don't want to, they just cannot due to the way the system is-it seems to me like white people will always be at an advantage over ethnic minorities. But recently, the number of black people attending these universities has increased greatly. So there you go, we are getting degrees and will get great jobs, But then, we hear 'they keep stealing our jobs' soooo... Anyway that's just my thoughts. Don't attack me lol.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
6-7% of London's population and 60-70& of all violent crimes, and here are their communities out in force to blame us, the people that allowed them to come here and prosper and benefit from our institutions that our ancestors built and sacrificed to create.

crime is far more common in poorer communities and black people are a lot more likely to be poor and disadvantaged than white people so it's not quite as simple as that - black people are still at a disadvantage in society and they do still face discrimination

that said trying to piggy back on the movement from the US is silly, our police shoot very few people and while I'm sure black people still face prejudice from police it is NOT the same as it is the US and laying on the floor like they've been shot is laughable

also, what is gained by disrupting families going on a holiday? you're not going to gain support for your movement and you're not going to make any friends... I'm all for people protesting, it's a right... but there's no need to ruin other people's days in order to do so
Original post by viffer
Errrrrrrrrrrr ...... "No comment"

Which would appear to be de rigeur response in your world

You were trying to dismiss the BLM movement, which would be borderline offensive.
Reply 69
You were trying to dismiss the BLM movement, which would be borderline offensive.

Get over yourself. I was actually dismissing the stupidity of an bunch of eejits laying down in the f***ing road stopping people going about their business. I guess the B community really will have to try a lot harder to win hearts and minds.

FWIW, there are a lot of relevant comments(including mine) about BLM in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237616
No comment

Yeah thats not how this works

Black Lives Matter, if you cannot understand it, then no comment.

oh my god

That's not how any of this works
Original post by viffer
Get over yourself. I was actually dismissing the stupidity of an bunch of eejits laying down in the f***ing road stopping people going about their business. I guess the B community really will have to try a lot harder to win hearts and minds.

FWIW, there are a lot of relevant comments(including mine) about BLM in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237616

I think there are 3 groups of people, who have views on this issue.

The first group are those, who are completely racist. Whatever you say about black people or discimination, they will argue with you to their death that it does not exist.

The second group are those in the middle. The silent majority. They know that there are many problems, but they are either too scared too speak out or too weak to do anything.

The third group are those at the other end. They will support BLM whatever the consequence.

BLM supporters are trying to raise awareness to group 2. There is no point talking to the racists (like those on this thread).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
oh ****. what morons.
Reply 76
I think there are 3 groups of people, who have views on this issue.

The first group are those, who are completely racist. Whatever you say about black people or discimination, they will argue with you to their death that it does not exist.

The second group are those in the middle. The silent majority. They know that there are many problems, but they are either too scared too speak out or too weak to do anything.

The third group are those at the other end. They will support BLM whatever the consequence.

BLM supporters are trying to raise awareness to group 2. There is no point talking to the racists (like those on this thread).

GLWTP

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4220148&page=3&p=66533882#post66533882
Original post by Virgil.
Fat that there are white people saying there is no need for BLM in the UK, is actually all the more reason why there is a need for BLM in the UK.

[video="youtube;cQvm8c5geSs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQvm8c5geSs[/video]
Original post by Aishadee
Alright, as a black person, I don't agree at al with the blocking Heathrow thing- that was definitely the wrong approach. But at the same time, the BLM movement shouldn't be looked down upon. Its for a good cause, and quite frankly it isn't affecting other races negatively either.

Yes the amount of black people shot in the UK are far less than those in the US. And yes, black people in the UK are much safer than elsewhere *cough cough US*, but there still isn't equality between white people and other races. That cannot be denied. And BLM also fights for this equality between the races. I saw somebody say that maybe black people should get degrees and jobs blah blah, but the matter of the fact is, black people need to work so much harder to get to places than white British people. In all the top universities, black people are amongst the minorities, and its not because they don't want to, they just cannot due to the way the system is-it seems to me like white people will always be at an advantage over ethnic minorities. But recently, the number of black people attending these universities has increased greatly. So there you go, we are getting degrees and will get great jobs, But then, we hear 'they keep stealing our jobs' soooo... Anyway that's just my thoughts. Don't attack me lol.

BLM should be looked down on as the hooligans they have proved themselves to be multiple times.

A proper protest group that don't meaninglessly cause violence or disrupt day to day life would go down better and be a lot more respected.

How many people couldn't get to their job, missed a job interview, a family holiday or a business trip because of these scum. I'm appalled.

The movement needs to distance itself from this meaningless disruption and reform as a more respectable group to be taken seriously. Join the police force. Look at going into politics. Just don't suport this hooliganism. It's the riots all over again. The minute this type of thing happens the campaign loses credibility and support...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending