The Student Room Group

What excites you the most about starting uni? [Golden Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Being surrounded by like-minded people!
I have another year till uni, but I'm looking forward to studying my course, to actually be at university and to make some awesome friends. As a shy, introvert the Nightlife is not important but to get into Imperial or UCL will be...I will have a party if I do!!!!
Reply 42
Original post by neal95
I'm going back for my second year and looking forward to having a better freshers week I think. we know all the good places to go to now and will make sure we can get hold of these tickets plus it should be better in second year as we are a good group and living together so stuff just feels more settled. of course I am looking forward to meeting new people as well XD

I'm going into third year and myself and friends are going to Freshers again :lol: I didn't find that I went clubbing in the second year due to being snowed under with work :redface:
Original post by PugDevil
I'm going into third year and myself and friends are going to Freshers again :lol: I didn't find that I went clubbing in the second year due to being snowed under with work :redface:

Yeah I definitely get what you mean I wanna go out less in second year because it's worth 40% and I will have to balance work with law applications and need to actually do all the reading this year :L I will make the odd exception though such as people's birthdays, freshers weeks, pre half term blowouts and Wednesday nights XD
Reply 44
Original post by neal95
Yeah I definitely get what you mean I wanna go out less in second year because it's worth 40% and I will have to balance work with law applications and need to actually do all the reading this year :L I will make the odd exception though such as people's birthdays, freshers weeks, pre half term blowouts and Wednesday nights XD

Yep pretty much :lol: Good luck for second year, I found it way harder than the first but it was really rewarding when I finished with 68% overall (let down by my electives :shakecane:)
For me, definitely studying something which I have an actual interest in, rather than general subjects.
Meeting new people!
Reply 47
Original post by Bobertie
For me, definitely studying something which I have an actual interest in, rather than general subjects.

That's the biggest jump from school and college IMO. The ability to actually choose what you want is great :biggrin:
Finally getting to study something for which I have worked for the last two years of my life .
The potential big money I might be getting in funding
Im planning to stay at home while i study so for me the exciting things about starting uni is meeting new people, hopefully making a lot of true lifelong friends and also moving on to this new chapter of my life:smile:
I'm looking forward to living on my own, and studying something that i've specifically picked to study :smile:
Freedom & Independence
Getting to study just one subject that I genuinely enjoy
Sounds rediculous and im sure if i come back in october I'll disagree but at the moment i just want to get back into learning, spent a while not doing anything and the months before that were going over things, not actually learning
Also new stationary :h:
And new people
And more freedom
And basically everything :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by fefssdf
The optimism in this thread disturbs me. I will post when I actually get the grades for uni.

My thoughts precisely, I keep seeing all these posts in my prospective uni's board about joining freshers groups on facebook and I simply can't do it until I know I have gotten my place.

The thought of having to go to the group, read all the happy people discussing going to uni, and then clicking 'unfollow' because my results were bad is just the most miserable thing I can imagine. Well, aside from the thought of telling my family I failed to get in and wasted the past two years of my life of course.
Original post by tuxyu
My thoughts precisely, I keep seeing all these posts in my prospective uni's board about joining freshers groups on facebook and I simply can't do it until I know I have gotten my place.

The thought of having to go to the group, read all the happy people discussing going to uni, and then clicking 'unfollow' because my results were bad is just the most miserable thing I can imagine. Well, aside from the thought of telling my family I failed to get in and wasted the past two years of my life of course.

Yeh I don't get people who are like going out buying stuff for uni ect like right now I'm not going to a uni but I could be going to one in a few days time but right now I'm not so I'm not gonna act like I'm moving out anytime soon ... Just gonna carry on as normal and not talk as if I'm going to X uni cause then I will just make myself feel even worse if I don't go there. Better to be realistic then to pretend you're deffo get in
Reply 57
Original post by PugDevil
Yep pretty much :lol: Good luck for second year, I found it way harder than the first but it was really rewarding when I finished with 68% overall (let down by my electives :shakecane:)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you study & where?
How was 1st year different for you in comparison to 2nd year? Just + workload increase or other factors aswell such as?
Considering I'll be living at home for at least 2 years of my MSc degree, I think its encouraging and helps
me slowly transition to university life at my own comfortable pace. Also, juggling things such as :dumbells: ,
dieting/nutrition, meal prepping will still go on as usual but without the hassle of knowing that x person nicked
my meal prep for today from their drunken hangover + loud music = :rip: to my :work: gains.

I guess its just about balancing everything but more so what you want out of university.
I give it couple months, probably until early February and the novelty of being at university would wear out. :yes:

#LIFE #GOES #ON :moon:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest