The Student Room Group

Why is queston sent for review if correct answer but wrong working?

I sat the Edexcel Maths GCSE Papers in May and June. For one question, I did not know how to do the question and guessed and answer of 19. I put some random working on the paper in the hope of picking up marks. It turns out that my answer was right (judging from my friends)! However, one of my friends said that I would not get any marks for this question because I got the right answer from the wrong working. He said to check the Edexcel mark schemes as proof. The mark scheme said that 0 marks should be awarded and the response "should be sent to review". Why should the response be sent to review? I am really worrying, so can someone tell me what happens!?!?
Original post by dp00
Why is queston sent for review if correct answer but wrong working?

The journey is more important than the destination.
The correct route can never lead you astray
Do you think you deserve the mark for guessing the answer? The purpose of an exam is to test what you can do without guessing.
I do not know what actually happens, but I dont think you deserve full marks for a question if you've guessed the answer and have no valid or even an invalid method. I cant see why thats so outrageous, though i can sympathise with wanting the marks.
Because if someone asks you "What's 2 x 2" and instead of multiplying them, you add them together and say "4", you might have coincidentally got the correct answer but it doesn't mean you know how to multiply.

Quick Reply

Latest