The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by RDKGames
Ah good, then this should be straight forward.

If you label the angle at the tower, lets say θ\theta (called theta), then you know that tanθtan\theta is the opposite side divided by the adjacent side, with opposite being 4.5 and adjacent being 2.1 as you can see. You can find the actual angle by doing inverse tan. Of course, this angle is not the bearing because bearings are measured from the North, therefore you need to find the other angle long that line by doing 180θ180-\theta, and that should give you the bearing. Don't forget bearings are shown as 3 digits.

So do I find the hypotenuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So do I find the hypotenuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well realistically you have choices, you can use the hypoteneuse and work with either sine or cosine, or you can use the two sides of the triangle which would require you to use tan (refer back to what I said if you want to use tan). You already know the hypoteneuse though, you found it in the previous part.
Reply 642
Well realistically you have choices, you can use the hypoteneuse and work with either sine or cosine, or you can use the two sides of the triangle which would require you to use tan (refer back to what I said if you want to use tan). You already know the hypoteneuse though, you found it in the previous part.

Did this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 643

I Did this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct. You can now use this to find the bearing as you know the angles on a straight line add up to 180.
Reply 646
Correct. You can now use this to find the bearing as you know the angles on a straight line add up to 180.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 648
Yep!

yusssssss !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 649
Yep!

I did something wrong can't figure it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 650
Yep!

I did something wrong can't figure it out.,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
I did something wrong can't figure it out.,

Posted from TSR Mobile

AC is just hypotenuse, and since you are given the side lengths, it's basic pythagoras to find it.
Reply 652
AC is just hypotenuse, and since you are given the side lengths, it's basic pythagoras to find it.

Did these

Posted from TSR Mobile

37 is right but the bearing is wrong because that would mean you are measuring it anticlockwise.

Bearing tell us that they are measured clockwise from the north line as a 3 digit number.
Reply 654
37 is right but the bearing is wrong because that would mean you are measuring it anticlockwise.

Bearing tell us that they are measured clockwise from the north line as a 3 digit number.

So the answer is 037?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So the answer is 037?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I meant I agree with your working up until you get 37 degrees. Think about how you can use that to get the bearing by measuring it clockwise from the north.
Reply 656
No. I meant I agree with your working up until you get 37 degrees. Think about how you can use that to get the bearing by measuring it clockwise from the north.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you approach this? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest