The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamCW
Right, I'm taking both the GAMSAT and UKCAT. I've finally decided.

I have one month of 1-2 hour prep (plus a couple mocks thrown in) for GAMSAT, followed by a month of prep for UKCAT... while finishing my dissertation on Inducted-Pluripotent Stem Cells..

Wish me luck.

Has anyone else taken both? How did you guys find it?

I feel for you. I'm not doing both, just the UKCAT, because I just didn't see how I could juggle it alongside my MSc. I'm currently in labs culturing cells and trying to get them to behave the way my hypothesis says they should.

I feel like I should have done the UKCAT before I got into the full swing of my dissertation.It makes prioritization difficult.
Original post by 123ash
Hey, aspiringmedic123 wrote about their experience with UniAdmissions 6 days ago. I've quoted their post below.

"Ahh, I made a mistake and bought the UniAdmissions question booklet along with their online content >.<. Definitely do not recommend that site guys!! On another note, I've spent 2 weeks just familliarising my self with the exam and noticed quite an improvement with my VR and AR (not hard as I was very very sh**). I plan on working 2/3 hours a day for 5 days with the 3 weeks I have left. Has anyone purchased the MedicPortal online question bank? I'm running out of questions and I finished the demo mode of their online questions and it seemed pretty legit and almost mirrored Medify (which is the best UKCAT reviewer). Thanks in advance"

Thanks*

Oh man, thanks for this I'm in two minds about going to their course now. :/
I was originally gonna go to the Kaplan one but after seeing how relatively cheap the uni admissions one was I thought I'd check it out and now I'm not sure which course I should go on :/
Their reviews seem okay though. Did aspiring medic say what was bad about it in particular?
I really wanna go to one of these courses either the Kaplan one or the uni admissions one but I am now in two minds as to which one to go to. Kinda glad I saw this before I ended up reserving a place at uni admissions.
Original post by R T
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

"GEM is more competitive than other routes into medicine. Therefore, it is advised that you consider your choices carefully. Most people choose to apply to a mix of 4 and 5 year programs to maximise their chances, though do look into your school's application process carefully - some will automatically consider you for their 5 year route if you are unsuccessful at graduate entry."

I'm struggling to find evidence of this? Do any Universities actually do this?

Also I am a bit stressed about my UCAS referee for the form. I don't have anyone realiable who has actually overseen my undergrad studies for an extended period of time. What is everyone else doing for this? Is it possible to go back to a teacher at school or college?

If it's been some time since graduating, you could use a manager.

I had an issue with my personal tutor not replying to emails so I contacted a lecturer I had through my second and third years instead.

Could you try another tutor and send them your personal statement with a reminder of how you know them?
Original post by hopefuldoctor
Oh man, thanks for this I'm in two minds about going to their course now. :/
I was originally gonna go to the Kaplan one but after seeing how relatively cheap the uni admissions one was I thought I'd check it out and now I'm not sure which course I should go on :/
Their reviews seem okay though. Did aspiring medic say what was bad about it in particular?
I really wanna go to one of these courses either the Kaplan one or the uni admissions one but I am now in two minds as to which one to go to. Kinda glad I saw this before I ended up reserving a place at uni admissions.

Hi hopefuldoctor

I just saw your post and wanted to say that I am happy to answer any questions that you may have about any of our courses or products.

As you have pointed out, our reviews are very good with 97% of those who attend one of our courses saying that they would recommend us to a friend!

Because Aspiringmedic123 has not given any reason for being unhappy with what they have purchased, it is very difficult to know what to say about that to you. I would have thought that if they had been unhappy with something that they would have been in touch with us, which as far as I'm aware, they haven't been.

Of course, you need to decide for yourself and I understand it can be a difficult decision, which is why I am more than happy to help in anyway I can.

UniAdmissions
Hi everyone, I haven't introduced myself properly here but I think it's about time to. I've just finished my second year studying Biochemistry and I'm predicted a 1st, and I was hoping to apply to Warwick, Newcastle and Southampton for 2017 entry...
But I've just done my UKCAT this afternoon...

VR: 550
QR: 690
AR: 750
SJT: Band 2

To be completely honest VR was a lot harder than I had anticipated, almost all the answer options were a minimum of 2 or 3 lines, and every text required a scroll down. Had to guess quite a few on each section but VR really brought my average down.

I'd like to ask the GEM applicants community which uni's do you think I should apply to, my hopes were on Warwick but that option's off the table, should I just leave the process this year and apply next year? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Indy108
Hi everyone, I haven't introduced myself properly here but I think it's about time to. I've just finished my second year studying Biochemistry and I'm predicted a 1st, and I was hoping to apply to Warwick, Newcastle and Southampton for 2017 entry...

To be completely honest VR was a lot harder than I had anticipated, almost all the answer options were a minimum of 2 or 3 lines, and every text required a scroll down. Had to guess quite a few on each section but VR really brought my average down.

I'd like to ask the GEM applicants community which uni's do you think I should apply to, my hopes were on Warwick but that option's off the table, should I just leave the process this year and apply next year? Thanks :smile:

hello fellow biochemist. its a bit too early to call on warwick, we wont know the national average VR score until they come out later on. the other ukcat schools place a big emphasis on the average (generally 700+ for interviews), so i think your best chance is to go for BMAT or GAMSAT if possible. Otherwise, Birmingham do not have a UKCAT requirement and will likely look favourably on your predicted 1st in Biochem. If you cannot commit to another entry exam, and if Birmingham is a Uni you're really interested in, then I think you might as well go for it. Any experience you gain this year in PS writing and interviews, even if you dont get in, will help tremendously for your application next cycle.
Original post by Indy108

Don't give up jut yet on Warwick, like Hugh Laurie said. You never know what the national cut off is. Everyone could do terrible this year!

And the fact that you have taken your UKCAT, if you were to consider another entry exam, you still have time.

By the way, jus for my reference as i'm preparing for the UKCAT. How were you when practicing? What did you use to prepare and how many hours of prep did you put in?

Thanks*
Original post by Hugh Laurie
hello fellow biochemist. its a bit too early to call on warwick, we wont know the national average VR score until they come out later on. the other ukcat schools place a big emphasis on the average (generally 700+ for interviews), so i think your best chance is to go for BMAT or GAMSAT if possible. Otherwise, Birmingham do not have a UKCAT requirement and will likely look favourably on your predicted 1st in Biochem. If you cannot commit to another entry exam, and if Birmingham is a Uni you're really interested in, then I think you might as well go for it. Any experience you gain this year in PS writing and interviews, even if you dont get in, will help tremendously for your application next cycle.

Hmm, yeah I think I'll still apply to Warwick then, maybe one other UKCAT uni and 2 GAMSAT uni's if I think I've done well in it. Birmingham only accepts applicants who've already got their degree result before applying then I can't apply there yet, but it's most definitely a top choice for me next year. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Original post by 123ash
Don't give up jut yet on Warwick, like Hugh Laurie said. You never know what the national cut off is. Everyone could do terrible this year!

And the fact that you have taken your UKCAT, if you were to consider another entry exam, you still have time.

By the way, jus for my reference as i'm preparing for the UKCAT. How were you when practicing? What did you use to prepare and how many hours of prep did you put in?

Thanks*

I used medify and the ISC 1000 book to practice. I decided to apply to medicine this year quite late then I only had a period of 2 weeks preparation because I wanted enough time to revise for the GAMSAT. 4-6 hours a day for a week and a half, and 2-3 hours a day for the 2 days before the exam. Good luck!
Original post by Indy108
Hmm, yeah I think I'll still apply to Warwick then, maybe one other UKCAT uni and 2 GAMSAT uni's if I think I've done well in it. Birmingham only accepts applicants who've already got their degree result before applying then I can't apply there yet, but it's most definitely a top choice for me next year. Thanks for your advice :smile:

I used medify and the ISC 1000 book to practice. I decided to apply to medicine this year quite late then I only had a period of 2 weeks preparation because I wanted enough time to revise for the GAMSAT. 4-6 hours a day for a week and a half, and 2-3 hours a day for the 2 days before the exam. Good luck!

Thanks
So I have just seen that in previous UKCAT years a poll was created to add which overall UKCAT score you fell in. This helps with having an average of what the cut offs may be. I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible to add a poll at the top of an already started thread?

*Good luck to Everyone!
Original post by 123ash
So I have just seen that in previous UKCAT years a poll was created to add which overall UKCAT score you fell in. This helps with having an average of what the cut offs may be. I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible to add a poll at the top of an already started thread?

*Good luck to Everyone!

There is a poll but it's in a thread. Saw it earlier.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018&p=66764376#post66764376
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Medici103
There is a poll but it's in a thread. Saw it earlier.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018&p=66764376#post66764376

Thanks.

Seem's like no one has shared their results so far, or is it only visible once you input your results? lol, silly me
Original post by 123ash
Thanks.

Seem's like no one has shared their results so far, or is it only visible once you input your results? lol, silly me

You can view the poll prior to submission of your own results. Just click on 'view results'. :smile:
Original post by jessicac316
Hi everyone! I'm in my final year of osteopathy (4 year integrated masters in London) and I'm a hopeful 2017 entry applicant. I'm looking into Imperial's A109, Bart's A101 and A100, and King's A100. Because I'm an international student (Australian citizen but studied in Hong Kong) with American high school qualifications, some medical schools said I wasn't eligible to apply due to my lack of A-levels (despite having equivalent A's in Chemistry and Biology).

My UKCAT is in 2 weeks and I've just finished the whole UKCAT ISC 1000 book. I'm planning on doing the 3 practice tests from the official site soon. Has anyone subscribed to Medify's resources? I want to know if it's worth the money. AR is an absolute nightmare :frown: how can I improve in this section?

Also any tips for the BMAT? I don't know much physics and am planning on self studying the list of guide topics after my UKCAT. I will also go through the BMAT ISC 700 book.
I'm really keen and any help would be appreciated! Feel free to ask me anything as well :smile: Good luck everyone!

Hello,

Medify is definitely worth the subscription as it is close to simulating the test, with it being online etc..

AR,*the*more you practice, hopefully the more the pattern will be similar to what you've seen, so won't take as long to recognise.*

Can't comment on BMAT, not taking the test.

Good luck with the 3 mocks on UKCAT and the actual test :-)*
Original post by Medici103
You can view the poll prior to submission of your own results. Just click on 'view results'. :smile:

:embarrassed::embarrassed:

The average so far this year looks high.

By the way has anyone completed the UKCAT for the 1st time this year and got above 700??
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,*

I was hoping someone could help me by telling me which order the sections come in, during the actual test?

Is it VR, QR, DM, AR, and finally SJT??

Thanks*
Original post by 123ash
:embarrassed::embarrassed:

The average so far this year looks high.

By the way has anyone completed the UKCAT for the 1st time this year and got above 700??

my first time with the ukcat this year. 790 was my average but with a very wierd distribution (590 / 890 / 890) haha, wouldve liked a more even spread of scores to help with warwick application >_<
Original post by 123ash
hey,*

i was hoping someone could help me by telling me which order the sections come in, during the actual test?

Is it vr, qr, dm, ar, and finally sjt??

Thanks*

vr -> dm -> qr -> ar -> sjt
Original post by Hugh Laurie
my first time with the ukcat this year. 790 was my average but with a very wierd distribution (590 / 890 / 890) haha, wouldve liked a more even spread of scores to help with warwick application >_<

Your score is brilliant though! 1st time wow! Im so jealous in a nice way though!

How many hours did you put in? My marks are all over the place. Sometimes im getting 80%, and sometimes not even 50% on Medify.

The other two sections were def consistent. VR was low, but you said the Qs were al long! Im dreading this test, so much relies own it, and it all depends on how lucky you are the day to get reasonably easy Qs. I know the saying is that there is a mix of easy, medium and hard.

Thanks for the reply in regards to order of sections in test too.*
Original post by 123ash
Your score is brilliant though! 1st time wow! Im so jealous in a nice way though!

How many hours did you put in? My marks are all over the place. Sometimes im getting 80%, and sometimes not even 50% on Medify.

The other two sections were def consistent. VR was low, but you said the Qs were al long! Im dreading this test, so much relies own it, and it all depends on how lucky you are the day to get reasonably easy Qs. I know the saying is that there is a mix of easy, medium and hard.

Thanks for the reply in regards to order of sections in test too.*

i did probably just over a month of prep with medify and ISC600/1000, retrospectively that was way too much but i guess its better to overprepare. dont worry so much about the random/luck component - you have no control over that! focus on sticking to your timings and techniques and youll be just fine. and dont forget qr/ar should be a lot easier in the real exam compared to medify/official/ISC1000.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending