The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

So I just did my UKCAT exam and got an avg of 633.. not exactly what I was aiming for :frown: What let me down big time was the verbal reasoning which was just completely rubbish. My scores were VR - 530, QR - 670, AR 700 and SJ - Band 2 so not totally bad just the VR

Anyways I was just wondering whether Medicine is still definitely an option this year or to retake next year? Also is taking the BMAT a good idea - is it harder than UKCAT?

I was thinking of applying to Bristol, Leeds, Edinburgh & Southampton but idk now how Bristol will use the UKCAT because it's their first year :/

Also got 7 A*s and 3 As at GCSE and predicted A*AAA for A2

Thank youu just don't really know what to do next
(edited 7 years ago)
A*AAA for AS? Ok then
Original post by saraix
For guys who have already done the ukcat (well done btw) how did you guys find it compare to the practice exams on the ukcat website? Mine is in 6 days and I am petrified for it. I went on a Kaplan course thingy and from there practice tests I've been getting around 2000 ish at a time but when I did one on the ukcat website, I did horrific.... :frown: thanks, I need someone to give me closure over this :':wink:

I thought the second test on the website was fairly representative for QR. The AR was easier in the real thing than all the tests on the website, but SJ and VR were very similar in difficulty to the tests.

The more you do the full test the less scary it'll be and the better you'll do :smile:
Original post by TobyReichelt
A*AAA for AS? Ok then

meaning..?
Original post by Fireplace123
Dude 630 is amazingg

Ah really it's just loads of people are saying different things and it's got me real confused about what's good/bad
630 is slightly below average unfortunately. After going to Bristol's open day, UKCAT only accounts for 10% of their selection, so it may be worth applying there.

Remember UKCAT is not all unis will consider, it is just a part of the vast selection criteria. If your PS, references, grades are good you will still have a chance.

I recommend considering unis such as Bham who strongly consider GCSEs, as your grades are quite good.

The BMAT is much harder and requires much more preparation, that being said, it may be worth doing it. If you do well, then it will open your options further. If you do badly, then hey-ho, at least you tried.
Original post by musicalmedic
meaning..?

I think he means to point out that you can't get an A* at AS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
He means you can't get an A* at AS

Yeah but i'm predicted that for next year lol
Original post by MoshBosh
630 is slightly below average unfortunately. After going to Bristol's open day, UKCAT only accounts for 10% of their selection, so it may be worth applying there.

Remember UKCAT is not all unis will consider, it is just a part of the vast selection criteria. If your PS, references, grades are good you will still have a chance.

I recommend considering unis such as Bham who strongly consider GCSEs, as your grades are quite good.

The BMAT is much harder and requires much more preparation, that being said, it may be worth doing it. If you do well, then it will open your options further. If you do badly, then hey-ho, at least you tried.

Ok thank you that's really helpful!
Yeah but i'm predicted that for next year lol

Be it as that may, that's not what you actually said:

predicted A*AAA for AS
Original post by Platopus
Be it as that may, that's not what you actually said:

alright alright my bad *A2
alright alright my bad *A2

No worries, everyone knew what you meant.
Original post by riyaaaaa
heeey guys
i did my ukcat today and bleh it was okay lmao like i wanted better but im not too sad about it,
my average was 693 and for sj i got band 1 (yay for band 1)
vr: 540 lmao what a joke but yeah i got huge ass passages like wtf i was so mad during the test, and also i hate reading and im a super slow reader but still during my practice i got 650 ish so this saddened me :frown:
ar: 650 ok this one also during my practice i got better than that so was kinda disappointed, but everything was really vague.
qr: 890 math is just my strong subject

anw i used medify and the 600 q book, so if anyone has question feel free to ask!
also im an international student.

what % were you getting for AR and VR on medify? What were the AR shapes like?
Original post by See-If-I-Care
Hi, Glad to see your post. I thought I was going mad. Did my test today and also found that AR and QR were of the same level as the ISC 1000 book. Some of the QR questions had loads to data and some of the AR questions had relationships of the type: if the arrow points to the left then the circle is black, if not then it is white; and the arrow is always pointing towards the circle. That type of rubbish.

Managed an average of 675. Watch out for the calculator guys. Try to use the keyboard and not the mouse. it will save you tonnes of time! My computer has no keyboard to start with but i noticed my neighbours had one, so I had to request it.

it seems strange that you say the ISC QR is as hard as the real thing as really 90% of people find is wayyyy easier in the real thing. I get good scores on medify, not great but 70% in most things but i hear medify isnt as hard as real thing so im worried about how i will do, however i am also aware that the real thing tend to score higher even tho it may seem harder, any opinions?
Original post by saraix
For guys who have already done the ukcat (well done btw) how did you guys find it compare to the practice exams on the ukcat website? Mine is in 6 days and I am petrified for it. I went on a Kaplan course thingy and from there practice tests I've been getting around 2000 ish at a time but when I did one on the ukcat website, I did horrific.... :frown: thanks, I need someone to give me closure over this :':wink:

I got exactly the same as I had calculated my result in the practice test to be. QR was easier but (in my opinion) VR was harder so they balanced out.
Original post by riyaaaaa
heeey guys
i did my ukcat today and bleh it was okay lmao like i wanted better but im not too sad about it,
my average was 693 and for sj i got band 1 (yay for band 1)
vr: 540 lmao what a joke but yeah i got huge ass passages like wtf i was so mad during the test, and also i hate reading and im a super slow reader but still during my practice i got 650 ish so this saddened me :frown:
ar: 650 ok this one also during my practice i got better than that so was kinda disappointed, but everything was really vague.
qr: 890 math is just my strong subject

anw i used medify and the 600 q book, so if anyone has question feel free to ask!
also im an international student.

Well done, you did amazingly in QR! I was wondering if for AR the patterns were really complex?
Original post by clairebear101
it seems strange that you say the ISC QR is as hard as the real thing as really 90% of people find is wayyyy easier in the real thing. I get good scores on medify, not great but 70% in most things but i hear medify isnt as hard as real thing so im worried about how i will do, however i am also aware that the real thing tend to score higher even tho it may seem harder, any opinions?

Not that strange considering people get different questions. Some people get long QR questions, some people get long texts for VR etc.

Plus a lot of people who say QR is easier in the real thing used 600Q, and they are right. The same questions are still there in the 1000Q book for QR but the new QR questions added are more in keeping with the exam.

Bottom line is: prepare for everything.
Hi guys

For people that have already done the exam: how many VR questions were true, false, can't tell and how many were comprehension? TYIA
I might be wrong here, but Cardiff only considers UKCAT if they need to decide between similar candidates and in Bristol it only accounts for 10%. But I'm not sure so it might be worth checking, you should google "how universities use the UKCAT", some people have made some useful pdf-documents :smile:
I thought the general consensus was that the real exam was slightly easier than Medify and some of the harder questions were equivalent to the first half of the QR in the 1000Q book?

After a lot of searching I found emedica's VR to be just as challenging as the statement questions in the 1000Q book which makes it a good practice resource for those who are struggling (i.e. me XD)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending