The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone aged 18-20 currently studying or going to study at OU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spip55
Hiya! I'm Shannon and I'm only 19. I'm hoping to start at the OU this year. I have chosen to study at the OU over 'physical universities' due to my own preferences and wanting to do some travelling on the weekends that I have spare

Hiya Shannon! I will be 18 in May and I've applied for the BA English Language and Literature course at the OU (quite a big step away from psychology haha), I do have some concern about my motivation throughout the course but I'm lucky enough to have one of friends enrolling on the same course with me.

I think a good way to tackle motivation would be to make sure you have something other to do than just studying- maybe a part time job or volunteering somewhere because it means you wont lose that social aspect of your life which I think is imperative to success in your studies. I feel like you'd be much more motivated to do the work and put the effort in if you weren't kind of stuck with thinking about doing it all day you know? And I also think that the tutorials that are offered on the courses would be a big source of motivation!

Are you planning on completing your course in the traditional 3 years or part time in 6 years? Im aiming for 3 years but I'm slightly worried about the workload.. But I'll give it a shot this year and see how it goes so then I can decided if I want to continue full time in the second year. Personally though I'd rather work super hard for 3 years than be in education for 6 years more because that seems quite daunting! Anyway I hope your studies go well whatever you choose! 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi everyone! I'm 18, and I'm starting a full time BA in Language Studies in October. I can't wait to start! I wasn't so great at studying whilst in school, so I've been working on my language skills the past few months to prepare, and getting used to organising myself and sticking to study plans, etc. Honestly just staying in the habit of studying is really helping, but we'll see how helpful it is when I actually start!
Original post by spip55
Hiya! I'm Shannon and I'm only 19. I'm hoping to start at the OU this year. I have chosen to study at the OU over 'physical universities' due to my own preferences and wanting to do some travelling on the weekends that I have spare.

I'm currently looking at Social Psychology as I am wanting to go into the psychotherapy and counselling sector but I'm not 100% that is the degree I am going to go for.

I'm really unsure about studying online and how I am going to keep motivation as I struggled with motivation whilst I studied my A-Levels. Anyone else having this concern?

I am really glad there is other people around my age studying with the OU, all my friends have gone onto brick universities and I thought I wouldn't have anyone to interact with my age!

To keep motivated, i suggest going to local libraries into any of the silent study areas. I find when i have people around me studying, i feel motivated myself to study.
Original post by stripystockings
Hi everyone! I'm 18, and I'm starting a full time BA in Language Studies in October. I can't wait to start! I wasn't so great at studying whilst in school, so I've been working on my language skills the past few months to prepare, and getting used to organising myself and sticking to study plans, etc. Honestly just staying in the habit of studying is really helping, but we'll see how helpful it is when I actually start!

Good on you, i was awful at studying at first. I used to be that person who just winged exams and got decent grades but now I've improved in studying via flash cards, brainstorms , changing information from a book into my own words ect. Also being in a suitable environment such as a library.
Original post by ShinigamiGin
Good on you, i was awful at studying at first. I used to be that person who just winged exams and got decent grades but now I've improved in studying via flash cards, brainstorms , changing information from a book into my own words ect. Also being in a suitable environment such as a library.

Thanks! Yeah, I was the same... I valued being naturally smart over working hard, and thus didn't get the grades that I would've, if I'd actually worked for them. I'm glad your study methods are working for you!
Reply 25
I'm 19 now, I started when I was 17 (dropped out of my first year of A-levels), did 2 years and finished early this year. I got 120 credits and in September, I'll be starting at a brick uni :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by zRa
I'm 19 now, I started when I was 17 (dropped out of my first year of A-levels), did 2 years and finished early this year. I got 120 credits and in September, I'll be starting at a brick uni :smile:

Awesome. This is quite inspiring for me actually since I'm going to be checking out the prospect of transferring to a brick university. I'm happy with OU study as it is but I'm tempted by the prospect of an integrated masters degree and the OU doesn't offer one in mathematics.

Good luck with starting at your new uni!
Reply 27
Original post by Urist
Awesome. This is quite inspiring for me actually since I'm going to be checking out the prospect of transferring to a brick university. I'm happy with OU study as it is but I'm tempted by the prospect of an integrated masters degree and the OU doesn't offer one in mathematics.

Good luck with starting at your new uni!

Thanks! I'm glad you find it inspiring :smile: the main reason I wanted to start at a brick uni was the social aspect, I also want to live out and have that experience. Studying at home for 2 years, I didn't have that so I'm looking forward to it. And good luck to you too, whether you decide to continue study at the ou or to transfer to a brick uni :smile:
I'm 17 and starting the OU in October, I'm so excited! I'm doing AA100 in October, then A105 in February to go towards an BA (Hons) English Literature and Creative Writing Degree :smile:
Hey I'm Jasmine and I'm 19 and I'll be starting a BA (Hons) in English Literature and Creative Writing too! I'm starting in October and hoping to complete it in 3 years with full time study :smile:
Original post by jasminemaybe
Hey I'm Jasmine and I'm 19 and I'll be starting a BA (Hons) in English Literature and Creative Writing too! I'm starting in October and hoping to complete it in 3 years with full time study :smile:

I'm hoping to complete mine with 3 years full time study too! I'm considering doing one level 3 module a year though, as I hear they can get quite hard. I'm starting AA100 in October and A105 in February, what modules are you taking? :smile:
Original post by ameliarosexo
I'm hoping to complete mine with 3 years full time study too! I'm considering doing one level 3 module a year though, as I hear they can get quite hard. I'm starting AA100 in October and A105 in February, what modules are you taking? :smile:

Exactly the same! Although I am doing them both side by side, starting in October and finishing in June. I'm really excited to start, I can't wait for my books to arrive!
Exactly the same! Although I am doing them both side by side, starting in October and finishing in June. I'm really excited to start, I can't wait for my books to arrive!

Me neither! I'm looking forward for my books to arrive and also the module website to open! My birthday is on the 8th and the website opens on the 7th, so it's like an early birthday present haha! I've been doing a few OpenLearn courses to keep my brain occupied over summer and get me prepared for Uni studying, as I haven't really done much essay writing or anything. I had to leave my first year of A-Levels due to mental health issues, and am deciding to start a degree a year early instead of putting myself through the stress of college/sixth form!
Me neither! I'm looking forward for my books to arrive and also the module website to open! My birthday is on the 8th and the website opens on the 7th, so it's like an early birthday present haha! I've been doing a few OpenLearn courses to keep my brain occupied over summer and get me prepared for Uni studying, as I haven't really done much essay writing or anything. I had to leave my first year of A-Levels due to mental health issues, and am deciding to start a degree a year early instead of putting myself through the stress of college/sixth form!

That sounds like a good idea to me 😀I have started the Start Writing Fiction OpenLearn, which I think is absolutely great! I finished my A-Levels and then had a year out due to similar reasons and have decided to go to the OU as it suits me far better as I want to stay living at home. Where are you from?
That sounds like a good idea to me 😀I have started the Start Writing Fiction OpenLearn, which I think is absolutely great! I finished my A-Levels and then had a year out due to similar reasons and have decided to go to the OU as it suits me far better as I want to stay living at home. Where are you from?

I'm doing the badged English one, and I've signed up for the Doctor Faustus one and one about poetry, as I'm really quite awful at poetry and I know we have to study some! I'm from Peterborough, what about you? :smile:
I'm doing the badged English one, and I've signed up for the Doctor Faustus one and one about poetry, as I'm really quite awful at poetry and I know we have to study some! I'm from Peterborough, what about you? :smile:

I'm from South Wales :smile: by the way, have you had your books yet?! My AA100 books arrived yesterday!
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm from South Wales :smile: by the way, have you had your books yet?! My AA100 books arrived yesterday!

I got mine yesterday too! I've already started on work, haha, I'm too excited! :smile:
I got mine yesterday too! I've already started on work, haha, I'm too excited! :smile:

Tell me about it! :smile: They look so interesting, and well put together, and aren't they beautiful? :h:
Tell me about it! :smile: They look so interesting, and well put together, and aren't they beautiful? :h:

They are! I'm already halfway throught he first chapter, oops! I love the style of it, with the activities and the discussions that follow.
Hello :smile:
I'm 20 and considering either an Open degree (BA) or one in Education Studies (Primary).
Like others, I have had mental health issues but still feel like I would like to do a degree, as I am considering a career as a Primary School teacher.

Can anyone confirm that Student Finance IS available for Open Uni degrees?
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest