The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Hi guys. I'm a current graduate entry medical student (just completed year 2). If you guys have any questions, just get in touch.

Kind regards,

The Graduate Medicine Guide Team
Another question for the GAMSAT veterans, where did you make any notes you needed to scribble down? From what I'm aware of you aren't supplied any working out paper, so did you just scribble in the areas around the questions on the page? I'm assuming that's perfectly allowed, we've paid for the paper after all (naturally this question applied predominately to S3)

Cheers guys 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a GAMSAT study group?
Original post by Themightylaa
Another question for the GAMSAT veterans, where did you make any notes you needed to scribble down? From what I'm aware of you aren't supplied any working out paper, so did you just scribble in the areas around the questions on the page? I'm assuming that's perfectly allowed, we've paid for the paper after all (naturally this question applied predominately to S3)

Cheers guys 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea notes were made just on the paper itself
Hey guys im registering for the GAMSAT and was wondering is it worth buying the practice question as we already get the sample questions and also I was thinking of just buying one past paper but do you guys think two would be better? Thanks in advance
Original post by danni998
Hey guys im registering for the GAMSAT and was wondering is it worth buying the practice question as we already get the sample questions and also I was thinking of just buying one past paper but do you guys think two would be better? Thanks in advance

Buy and complete all the official ACER practise materials to time.

They're the nearest thing to the actual exam and a fantastic resource.

There are youtube videos by Gold Standard GAMSAT explaining all the answers (at least for S3 iirc, can't remember about S1) which I found incredibly useful as a non-science candidate.
How long do the essays have to be in section 2? a page?
Original post by saran23
How long do the essays have to be in section 2? a page?

I'd aim for a page and a half as a minimum.
Reply 508
doing gamsat this September 14th, just wondering if the Griffith's gamsat review essay structure for sections 2 works? any feedback would help on this
Original post by ashxx
doing gamsat this September 14th, just wondering if the Griffith's gamsat review essay structure for sections 2 works? any feedback would help on this

It was my saviour. Found it harder to stick to for type b essays where I tended to waffle more but it was amazing for type a. Just practice using it over and over and over again with different topics and you'll be fine for section 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 510
People who have the Des O'Neill's SI-III preparation courses what do you think of their usefulness in helping prepare you? I'm retaking the GAMSAT to try and improve my score of 59 (got SGUL and Notts interview with this score but didn't get a place this year). For a bit of background I have a first in a science-related degree.
Original post by Cuts92
People who have the Des O'Neill's SI-III preparation courses what do you think of their usefulness in helping prepare you? I'm retaking the GAMSAT to try and improve my score of 59 (got SGUL and Notts interview with this score but didn't get a place this year). For a bit of background I have a first in a science-related degree.

I thought their cutoff was 60 last year? Nice anyway!

Des O'Neill S1 and S2 stuff I can't really remember much about, it's nice to have extra practise questions but I don't think it really taught me anything I didn't know from practise tests/Gold Standard/Griffiths. S3 stuff is great, would really recommend it, feels a bit harder than the actual exam and some of it is more knowledge based rather than working with what you are given but it all helps!
Reply 512
Original post by Lisagee10
It was my saviour. Found it harder to stick to for type b essays where I tended to waffle more but it was amazing for type a. Just practice using it over and over and over again with different topics and you'll be fine for section 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you so much for your reply! wanted to drop you a private message actually if that is ok
Reply 513
How is everyone preparing for section 2? I'm writing essays but I want feedback, any good websites or programmes just for gamsat essay marking and feedback ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashxx
How is everyone preparing for section 2? I'm writing essays but I want feedback, any good websites or programmes just for gamsat essay marking and feedback ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sitting the September gamsat but for the march one I basically wrote between one and two essays everyday, tried for one section a one b. Then usually at the end of the week ide go through them with a few friends who would give feedback. I think that helped alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
I'm not sitting the September gamsat but for the march one I basically wrote between one and two essays everyday, tried for one section a one b. Then usually at the end of the week ide go through them with a few friends who would give feedback. I think that helped alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could I ask how you scored in S2 using this approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 516

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh I'm going through them with friends now too, I just wanted feedback from markers who knew what exactly to look for etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Could I ask how you scored in S2 using this approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I scored 68, which I won't complain about considering I didn't really know much about the topic in question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 518
I scored 68, which I won't complain about considering I didn't really know much about the topic in question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good, well done, I am basically doing the same as you, can I ask what topic you had ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashxx
That's really good, well done, I am basically doing the same as you, can I ask what topic you had ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had political correctness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending