The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScaryScience
got PIP assessment on Monday :/ any tips/advice/experiences?

I've not had one. But the general advice given on websites is:
- don't make an effort. You're not having a job interview. For example, there's a question on washing. So, if it's normal for you to go for days without washing, don't just wash because you have this assessment. They want to see how you normally are.
- Only answer "no" if you can do absolutely everything in relation to a task. IE, I've got no problems washing; so can say "no" when asked if I have any problems. But due to my physical disabilities, it's reasonable to say "yes" to things like cooking a simple meal without difficulty
- take someone with you. If you say "I need help when going out", they may question how are you able to get here today; but supposedly need outside?
Feeling *****y and I come to the MHSS to feel less lonely. I read everyone's posts and everyone else's problems seem more severe than mine and I end up feeling even more pathetic. Good one me.
I recently started a 'journal of recovery' to document what I learn in my CBT sessions and to track how I've used or failed to use the techniques during the week. It's already helped reinforce the CBT and it's been great for encouraging me and providing a level of accountability. I also have go-to pages for when I have a complete breakdown and it's where I keep my list of helpline numbers. Just thought I'd share to spread some positivity (something I find very difficult haha) and idk, maybe this idea could help someone else? :smile:
Feel hated tbh.
Idk why i am actually alive because it isnt like i add anything to anyone's existence and just seem to make things worse and annoy people.
I feel like people only talk to me out of obligation when really they want to be doing something better which i cant blame them for cos anything is better than my company

~Anon 1
Original post by Anonymous
Feeling *****y and I come to the MHSS to feel less lonely. I read everyone's posts and everyone else's problems seem more severe than mine and I end up feeling even more pathetic. Good one me.

I think it's really important to note and acknowledge that no individuals problems are 'worse' than anyone elses. I know it's really easy to think that but just because you perceive someone to have it worse than you doesn't mean the things that are affecting you or the things you're going through are any less valid :hugs:
Spent the last half hour in bed, unable to move, breathing heavily, head hurting, so worried about EVERYTHING (even though it's not supposed to be a "big deal" )

I hate being like this :sigh:
Hope everyone is OK, not took my meds for 3 days and tbh feel better is this likely to be a temporary thing and I'll end up feeling worse??
Med free with no support :woo: lets see how long till one of you guys tells me to go get help but for now :party:

Posted from TSR Mobile
dumb whiney post incoming

Spoiler

dint mean to post anon lets try again

Spoiler

Does anyonw know if it is possible to get anxiety reducing medications if you do not have an anxiety disorder? I have an extreme fear of there being murderers in my house and lately I have been getting, what seems like, hallucinations - seeing shadows/movements, doorhandles being pushed down ever so slightly when they are not, hearing noises that are (probably not there), etc. (Only when I am home alone or when it is night, as that is when the fear is always present.) I have had this fear for years but it has gotten a lot worse lately. I have other fears too but nothing really extreme/out of the ordinary (except for social anxiety) but really feel like I can't go on like this anymore.
Original post by TinyMockingbird
Does anyonw know if it is possible to get anxiety reducing medications if you do not have an anxiety disorder? I have an extreme fear of there being murderers in my house and lately I have been getting, what seems like, hallucinations - seeing shadows/movements, doorhandles being pushed down ever so slightly when they are not, hearing noises that are (probably not there), etc. (Only when I am home alone or when it is night, as that is when the fear is always present.) I have had this fear for years but it has gotten a lot worse lately. I have other fears too but nothing really extreme/out of the ordinary (except for social anxiety) but really feel like I can't go on like this anymore.

It sounds more like a paranoid delusion, i get similar delusions and was given an antipsychotic which really helped, though no longer on than as i was delysion free for ages

Are you more stressed than normal?.id genuinly go speak to your dr about it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a doctor's appointment today. I had to go do lab work first. It took me over an hour to get the labs done. The hospital I go to has a policy if a patient is 30 minutes late for an appointment they're out of luck. My appointment was for 10:20 a.m. when I checked in the nurse told me I was too late. There's a clock right there and I looked at it and it said 10:48 a.m. they refused to see me and so I had to throw a fit. I told them sometimes I have to wait 3 or 4 hours to see you doctors at least you can do is show me the same consideration and give me the full 30 minutes before cancelling me. I was in the right and after 20 minutes of arguing, I won. Sometimes doctors feel like they're more important than the patients. It's almost like they don't have any empathy for their patients
Original post by PandaWho
It sounds more like a paranoid delusion, i get similar delusions and was given an antipsychotic which really helped, though no longer on than as i was delysion free for ages

Are you more stressed than normal?.id genuinly go speak to your dr about it though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply :smile: I am not sure if it's really paranoid delusion as, especially for the visual things, I do know that they are not there, but I am just afraid that they are actually there - if that makes sense. Like, somewhere I know that it is unlikely that the door handle really got pushed down, but I am afraid that it did actually get pushed down. (So I can tell reality and imagination apart I guess - I have never really looked into paranoid delusions but just looked into it and it said that the person was unable to tell those two apart, but tbh, I don't know a lot about this, so I could be wrong.)

I am not sure if I am more stressed - logically, I would be less stressed because school is over, although I do still have a ton of (important) schoolwork to do. But I think it's more like fretting/worrying/panicking.

I am not really a big fan of talking to my doctor about my mental health and tbh I feel a bit ashamed about this, but my mum has been trying to get me to go to my doctor for a psychiatrist referral to go on meds for other things anyway so if that appointment gets made, I will talk about this to her too. I'd rather not go on meds, especially not for depression and anxiety, but like I said, this is getting a bit out of hand and taking a toll on my sleep and wellbeing and thus health and other things.
Pyschiatrist was off on annual leave so my medication didn't get sorted. :colonhash: Really having no luck recently.

Moving flats is a pain though. I'm trying to do as much as possible on my own before the SO arrives on Tuesday (and then I'll get help with the heavy stuff like books and kitchen stuff). But it's seriously like a workout! I went to bed sore last night and I woke up sore this morning. Lovely.
I had a doctor's appointment today. I had to go do lab work first. It took me over an hour to get the labs done. The hospital I go to has a policy if a patient is 30 minutes late for an appointment they're out of luck. My appointment was for 10:20 a.m. when I checked in the nurse told me I was too late. There's a clock right there and I looked at it and it said 10:48 a.m. they refused to see me and so I had to throw a fit. I told them sometimes I have to wait 3 or 4 hours to see you doctors at least you can do is show me the same consideration and give me the full 30 minutes before cancelling me. I was in the right and after 20 minutes of arguing, I won. Sometimes doctors feel like they're more important than the patients. It's almost like they don't have any empathy for their patients

I don't think it's that the doctors don't empathise, it's more that they have other patients who need to be seen, and they're trying to maintain order for them. Otherwise some people might just be late all the time, and it turns chaotic.
If it's their policy to wait half an hour though, then they shouldn't be trying to turn you away! Glad you got seen in the end :smile:
Feeling out of it again :sad:
Massive hugs for everyone who is struggling atm :frown: :grouphugs: :console:

Thanks for your reply :smile: I am not sure if it's really paranoid delusion as, especially for the visual things, I do know that they are not there, but I am just afraid that they are actually there - if that makes sense. Like, somewhere I know that it is unlikely that the door handle really got pushed down, but I am afraid that it did actually get pushed down. (So I can tell reality and imagination apart I guess - I have never really looked into paranoid delusions but just looked into it and it said that the person was unable to tell those two apart, but tbh, I don't know a lot about this, so I could be wrong.)

I am not sure if I am more stressed - logically, I would be less stressed because school is over, although I do still have a ton of (important) schoolwork to do. But I think it's more like fretting/worrying/panicking.

I am not really a big fan of talking to my doctor about my mental health and tbh I feel a bit ashamed about this, but my mum has been trying to get me to go to my doctor for a psychiatrist referral to go on meds for other things anyway so if that appointment gets made, I will talk about this to her too. I'd rather not go on meds, especially not for depression and anxiety, but like I said, this is getting a bit out of hand and taking a toll on my sleep and wellbeing and thus health and other things.

It is possible (albeit somewhat rarer) to suffer from paranoid delusions but have a sense that they are not reality. I suffer from psychosis but can almost always tell if something is real or not.

I agree with everything PandaWho said tbh - reading your post, it does sound like it could be paranoid delusions, rather than anxiety alone. To my untrained mind at least :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Massive hugs for everyone who is struggling atm :frown: :grouphugs: :console:

It is possible (albeit somewhat rarer) to suffer from paranoid delusions but have a sense that they are not reality. I suffer from psychosis but can almost always tell if something is real or not.

I agree with everything PandaWho said tbh - reading your post, it does sound like it could be paranoid delusions, rather than anxiety alone. To my untrained mind at least :colondollar:

Herro.
Herro.

btw this was me, damn auto anon.

Latest