The Student Room Group

Why is TSR celebrating gay pride?

Seems weird to me that the site staff/owners should be taking overt political stances.

The obvious impact of this is that it suggests that when some people come to this website their views will likely automatically be censored, and their right to an opinion will be impinged upon.

I mean if you have been on here long enough you will already know the censorship is punishingly intense against anything that even remotely deviates from 100% pure political correctness.

Now you can say TSR is a private enterprise - its free to do as it pleases, but do not see any reason why it is necessary for TSR to be pro gay pride?....Seems to me it would be better if it remained politically neutral.

Like, if it's ok to fly a gay pride banner at the top of the website, surely it's also ok to fly a Union Jack with the slogan "Britain for British People"?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its more than just being "pro gay", its a celebration of equality and love which should be something that everyone supports :h: I'm just confused about why it wasn't done during LGBT month :lol: but either way :party:
Why not? This so called "political views" that you are trying to classify it as is a normal thing, if you have not noticed. Why does it have to be pro gay pride? Well, firstly is not only pro gay... It's called LGBT. To me it does not have to be a political view. It's a normal thing, like drinking water. :smile:

Also, do I really have to sit here and write a full story to why I support what they have done. The only thing I can say is...

TRS management, thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Perhaps they just like rainbows.
I just had a huge realisation. Homosexuality being considered a sin by Christos isn't because you're "having sexual relations with a man" - it's because Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Virgil.
Seems weird to me that the site staff/owners should be taking overt political stances.

The obvious impact of this is that it suggests that when some people come to this website their views will likely automatically be censored, and their right to an opinion will be impinged upon.

I mean if you have been on here long enough you will already known the censorship is punishingly intense against anything that even remotely deviates from 100% pure political correctness.

Now you can say TSR is a private enterprise - its free to do as it pleases, but do not see any reason why it is necessary for TSR to be pro gay pride?....Seems to me it would be better if it remained politically neutral.

I agree

Being Bisexual TSR should be unbiased, yes support it but any negative but constructive critisms will be erased or disallowed (I hope they prove me wrong)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by bluemadhatter
Its more than just being "pro gay", its a celebration of equality and love which should be something that everyone supports :h: I'm just confused about why it wasn't done during LGBT month :lol: but either way :party:

Its not a celebration of equality though, that's my point.

Because if I make a thread on here saying:

"hmm actually yknow I dont think gay people are that great, here are the reasons 1)...2)....3)"

Something like that is going to be automatically shut down. How is that equality?

Its not hate speech. It is possible to be against something based on very real facts about that thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm not sure if I'd say they're taking a 'political stance' seeing as LGBT+ acceptance can barely be considered politicised in the UK anymore seeing as almost every party has a recognised LGBT+ wing. It comes across to me as more like a sign of support which isn't harmful towards anyone.
Reply 8
Original post by Virgil.

I mean if you have been on here long enough you will already known the censorship is punishingly intense against anything that even remotely deviates from 100% pure political correctness.

I can see what this has to do with politics, i.e. which political party is for or against this.

But primarily this is a human issue. And while I, too, hate PC, I sure cannot deny that the core idea behind it, and behind being pro-gay, is to be good humans and treat others with respect.

You seem to have a problem with that. Why?
Reply 9
I don't care if a certain political stance is taken when all the alternative stances are pretty much disgusting

Going to rant about bias if TSR expresses a distaste for paedophilia next time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by RobML
Going to rant about bias if TSR expresses a distaste for paedophilia next time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a very poor example for obvious reasons. Try again.
Reply 11
Original post by Virgil.
That's a very poor example. Try again.

Ok, if TSR expresses distaste against modern slavery?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Virgil.

It is? I've posted plenty of things that go against the standard narrative and never once been carded or had a post removed.

It is not necessary, but I'd wager that the vast majority of students will support gay pride and will appreciate or at worst be indifferent to the site's support. So with their users in mind, it seems a reasonable move for the site. Besides, while I don't claim there are no political implications, it is hardly something super political like announcing support for a presidential candidate.
Reply 13
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It is? I've posted plenty of things that go against the standard narrative and never once been carded or had a post removed.

It is not necessary, but I'd wager that the vast majority of students will support gay pride and will appreciate or at worst be indifferent to the site's support. So with their users in mind, it seems a reasonable move for the site. Besides, while I don't claim there are no political implications, it is hardly something super political like announcing support for a presidential candidate.

Alt-righters are as guilty of playing victims as those they go out to bait and criticise, who knew

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by RobML
Ok, if TSR expresses distaste against modern slavery?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I see I have to spell this out for you.

Firstly, quite unlikely TSR would ever be expressing distaste against modern slavery or paedophilia, because politically its unnecessary to express distaste against something that is illegal.

Secondly, I would be making this exact same thread if TSR were anti gay pride instead of pro gay pride. So this isnt about my own personal political beliefs/stance. Like I said in the OP, I think TSR should be politically neutral.
Reply 15
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

It is not necessary, but I'd wager that the vast majority of students will support gay pride and will appreciate or at worst be indifferent to the site's support. So with their users in mind, it seems a reasonable move for the site. Besides, while I don't claim there are no political implications, it is hardly something super political like announcing support for a presidential candidate

I agree with this dude. Realistically, the mods aren't the Stazi. And they're not politically neutral but they've never claimed to be so why should anyone expect it? As long as they enforce the rules fairly.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I just had a huge realisation. Homosexuality being considered a sin by Christos isn't because you're "having sexual relations with a man" - it's because Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins!!!

I'm a Christian and this made me laugh :laugh:
Reply 17
Original post by WoodyMKC

:lol:

No, I'm pretty sure its because of the butt sex. See what happened to Sodom & Gomorrah.
Reply 18
Original post by Virgil.
Ok, I see I have to spell this out for you.

Firstly, quite unlikely TSR would ever be expressing distaste against modern slavery or paedophilia, because politically its unnecessary to express distaste against something that is illegal.

Secondly, I would be making this exact same thread if TSR were anti gay pride instead of pro gay pride. So this isnt about my own personal political beliefs/stance. Like I said in the OP, I think TSR should be politically neutral.

So campaigns against modern slavery are politically unnecessary? No, the legality is irrelevant.

Anyway, TSR isn't a news outlet so why does it matter?
(edited 7 years ago)
It shouldn't be political.
It's about acceptance and equality.

Quick Reply

Latest