The Student Room Group

GLS training contract application

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thetfordkid0
Hey guys, got an offer from the GLS last year and posted this in another thread that's probably buried - hope it's helpful for those of you currently in the process:

The AC has got easier since I did it it seems :p:
Reply 21
I rushed the end and did the last three questions in about 30 seconds so pretty sure they are wrong. The rest I was happy with though. Does anyone know if that is likely to mean its the end for me? Or does anyone have any idea how many people are at the VRT stage...and how many are to go on to the next? I am wondering if its a case of needing to meet a certain benchmark i.e. a passmark or whether its a case of being in a certain slice of the total number of candidates? I am hoping I can scrape through. SO disappointed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anwha
I rushed the end and did the last three questions in about 30 seconds so pretty sure they are wrong. The rest I was happy with though. Does anyone know if that is likely to mean its the end for me? Or does anyone have any idea how many people are at the VRT stage...and how many are to go on to the next? I am hoping I can scrape through. SO disappointed.

It's hard to know if it's the end, because it will depend on your overall mark - some people may go through it quickly and get questiosn wrong throughout. As hard as it is to wait and see, there really is no point second guessing these things.
Reply 23
Original post by Ethereal
It's hard to know if it's the end, because it will depend on your overall mark - some people may go through it quickly and get questiosn wrong throughout. As hard as it is to wait and see, there really is no point second guessing these things.

Ethereal, i know what you mean...I should just law of attraction that invite to the next stage email into my inbox...I felt solid on the first 20...then gradually more rushed...with the last three being basically unread!

I wonder if its a case of getting a passmark at a certain level...or if you are pitched against everyone and you have to be in a certain slice to reach the next round. Do you know?
I missed the deadline to apply by four hours :/

Thought it said 5pm not 12!!
Original post by anwha
Ethereal, i know what you mean...I should just law of attraction that invite to the next stage email into my inbox...I felt solid on the first 20...then gradually more rushed...with the last three being basically unread!

I wonder if its a case of getting a passmark at a certain level...or if you are pitched against everyone and you have to be in a certain slice to reach the next round. Do you know?

I suspect it is the latter - I think (but I could be wrong as I'm a bit out of touch with this now) each stage is intended to filter down towards the 100 or so they want to take to assessment centre
Original post by Lord Jon

That's got to hurt!
Reply 27
Original post by anwha
I rushed the end and did the last three questions in about 30 seconds so pretty sure they are wrong. The rest I was happy with though. Does anyone know if that is likely to mean its the end for me? Or does anyone have any idea how many people are at the VRT stage...and how many are to go on to the next? I am wondering if its a case of needing to meet a certain benchmark i.e. a passmark or whether its a case of being in a certain slice of the total number of candidates? I am hoping I can scrape through. SO disappointed.

I did exactly the same. I'm so dissappointed as well. I did really well in my practice tests but in the real one I started to run out of time, and after about question 21 I started to rush them all, and ended up selecting completely random answers on the last 3 questions 😩 We can't do anything now except wait for Tuesday.
Reply 28
Original post by Lord Jon

this almost happened me!
Original post by Ethereal
That's got to hurt!

It's peed me off a lot tbh! I learnt a lesson about organisation though from it...

Looks like I'm giving it a shot next year then
Original post by anwha
this almost happened me!

Such an annoying feeling. Tbh I've had a rough year so a lot of deadlines slipped past me...
Original post by anwha
making me feel SLIGHTLY better about it then...that even if you are good...you can mess up a bit in the real thing. maybe i should stop thinking that's it for me and just wait and see.

It might be for you, but don't lose heart. You always have the option of qualifying elsewhere and then applying for qualified posts :smile:
Reply 32
When do we hear? Is it Tuesday?
Hey guys, got an offer from the GLS last year and posted this in another thread that's probably buried - hope it's helpful for those of you currently in the process:

Awesome post, thank you! Do you have any insight to the marking criteria for the competency stuff?

I had a competency interview for another civil service job a few years, and despite feeling prepared I think that was probably hands down the worst interview I've ever sat in. Needless to say I didn't get the job.

I was able to meet one of the interviewers last week at a HMRC event and she said they really, really put in boot in for these... so now I am worried! Especially as there seems to be a shorter gap between AC and tests so I won't be able to have a mock interview at school.
Original post by monokurobuu
Awesome post, thank you! Do you have any insight to the marking criteria for the competency stuff?

I had a competency interview for another civil service job a few years, and despite feeling prepared I think that was probably hands down the worst interview I've ever sat in. Needless to say I didn't get the job.

I was able to meet one of the interviewers last week at a HMRC event and she said they really, really put in boot in for these... so now I am worried! Especially as there seems to be a shorter gap between AC and tests so I won't be able to have a mock interview at school.

It's a sliding scale (probably from 1 - 5) on how well you evidence that competency.

The absolute key thing is to:
- give a very brief description of the situation you are talking about
- give a very brief explanation of the specific task within that situation
- give a reasonable amount of information about what you/ did - frame this around the competency in question
- finish by saying what the outcome was
Did anyone get email confirmation or anything after completing the VRT?
Reply 36
Original post by GeneralStudent95

I did yesterday but I think this was only because I telephoned about it on Wednesday.
Reply 37
Original post by GeneralStudent95

Nope. Not me.
Original post by Galf
I did yesterday but I think this was only because I telephoned about it on Wednesday.

Original post by divamk
Nope. Not me.

Great thanks I didn't receive one either. I was just wondering if that was normal or whether I should get in touch with them, but it seems to be alright!
Reply 39

very kind of you to re-post this. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest