The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentsixth
I thought the general consensus was that the real exam was slightly easier than Medify and some of the harder questions were equivalent to the first half of the QR in the 1000Q book?

After a lot of searching I found emedica's VR to be just as challenging as the statement questions in the 1000Q book which makes it a good practice resource for those who are struggling (i.e. me XD)

the tiny font pisses me off though
So I have just sat my UKCAT and I'm not sure how I feel about my score.

VR - 590
AR- 660
QR - 640
SJ - band 1

Do I have a chance at Scottish medical schools????
I'm not sure about the others, but you might want to avoid applying to Edinburgh (it's just so competitive anyway) and Aberdeen (I've understood that 40% of pre-interview selection is based on the UKCAT). :frown:
Original post by See-If-I-Care
Not that strange considering people get different questions. Some people get long QR questions, some people get long texts for VR etc.

Plus a lot of people who say QR is easier in the real thing used 600Q, and they are right. The same questions are still there in the 1000Q book for QR but the new QR questions added are more in keeping with the exam.

Bottom line is: prepare for everything.

ah okay i was ganna say as i have the 600 question book, is it worth getting the 1000q book aswell?
Original post by shanK123
So I have just sat my UKCAT and I'm not sure how I feel about my score.

VR - 590
AR- 660
QR - 640
SJ - band 1

Do I have a chance at Scottish medical schools????

What are your GCSE grades (if I may ask)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What are your GCSE grades (if I may ask)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a Scottish student and I just sat 6 highers and was predicted 5As and a B
Original post by shanK123
I'm a Scottish student and I just sat 6 highers and was predicted 5As and a B

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_475041_en.pdf

That's Glasgow' stance on the UKCAT. Edinburgh is pretty heavy on it and I think St Andrews is the only other Scottish medical school.

Good news though, is that your highers are really good, so if you apply to universities that take the UKCAT leniently like, such as Cardiff for one, you should be fine(provided that your Advanced Highers/A Levels are good).
Original post by clairebear101
ah okay i was ganna say as i have the 600 question book, is it worth getting the 1000q book aswell?

Down to you. It's obviously more up to date.
Original post by StationToStation
I might be wrong here, but Cardiff only considers UKCAT if they need to decide between similar candidates and in Bristol it only accounts for 10%. But I'm not sure so it might be worth checking, you should google "how universities use the UKCAT", some people have made some useful pdf-documents :smile:

Yeh I found some lists of unis, and Cardiff seems to use the UKCAT result at the end of the process. Now to pick another 3... :wink: Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by clairebear101

I personally think the newer added questions are overly difficult but I guess it's better to be over prepared than under-prepared. I found the original questions from the 600Q book were much more accessible.

It's great for AR and VR though (although I think they should've had more practice questions for VR). I don't tend to time myself on Abstract, I just use it to see if I can spot patterns and then to make a note of them
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone who has done the UKCAT this year can post their results in this poll created today
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4240018
(edited 7 years ago)
so, when you get to the decision analysis part, do you have to do it ? or can you leave everything blank and just skip it all and move onto the next section ?

because DA does not count this year? if i'm correct.
Original post by money-for-all
so, when you get to the decision analysis part, do you have to do it ? or can you leave everything blank and just skip it all and move onto the next section ?

because DA does not count this year? if i'm correct.

I think the general agreement is do try and do some of the DA questions bc even though it doesn't count, its better to stay focused during the exam rather than tune off at that point. Also, people on this thread have said that during the DA section, its a good idea to mentally prepare urself for the QR which is straight after (so like make sure u can use the online calculator and jot down any formulas on the whiteboard thing you get)

If for some reason your score isnt as high as u wanted (which I hope wont happen!) and you choose to UKCAT next year, they will probs make DA a section that is taken into consideration by unis so u will have the head start, having trialled the questions in this UKCAT exam.
Upto you though but yeah DA wont count at all this year towards ur final average.
ALL THE BEST ! (im so scared omg my exam is on results day o dear lol)
soz this turned out to be such a long post omd sorry
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ronnydandam
what % were you getting for AR and VR on medify? What were the AR shapes like?

For VR i was getting around 70%, and for the mock tests I got like 570-650 around that range lol. Like in the real exam ALL the passages I personally got were huge.
for AR i actually had 85% i found the AR section on medify much easier than what they give in the UKCAT. Atleast for me, I got really vague patterns so yeah
Original post by bluebell786
Well done, you did amazingly in QR! I was wondering if for AR the patterns were really complex?

Yeah it was really vague. The ones I did during practice on medify was much easier.
Original post by michellem3
Hi guys

For people that have already done the exam: how many VR questions were true, false, can't tell and how many were comprehension? TYIA

I got like 3 t and f, and rest were comprehension :frown:
Original post by riyaaaaa
Yeah it was really vague. The ones I did during practice on medify was much easier.

did you guess loads then
Original post by ronnydandam
did you guess loads then

yep. Actually the first few were tough the last ones were ok, but I am an idiot lmao and I spent too long trying to figure out the first one so for the last one even though I got the pattern I had to guess bc I had like 5 seconds left?
so GUESS AND FLAG and move on. ( you probably already know this, but yeah)
Original post by riyaaaaa
yep. Actually the first few were tough the last ones were ok, but I am an idiot lmao and I spent too long trying to figure out the first one so for the last one even though I got the pattern I had to guess bc I had like 5 seconds left?
so GUESS AND FLAG and move on. ( you probably already know this, but yeah)

fair enough I shall do
Reply 1439
Hey , I was wondering if anyone could help me because I have been trying to set up a Pearson Vue account to register for my ukcat but each time I get to the final stage it says its processing but the site never lets me finish the process.its the weekend and I cant call the helpline .What can I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending