The Student Room Group

expecting lower than hoped A level results

would there be any chance to get to a Russell Group uni with grades BBC through clearing for business studies, think I've done worse than I hoped in my exams!
Maybe! Ring them through clearing v once you get your results.
Reply 2
Original post by Anfanny
Maybe! Ring them through clearing v once you get your results.

Thanks so much! I've heard it can take days for insurance universities to release you through clearing though so that worries me as you have to get them to 'release' you before you can go into clearing!
Reply 3
Original post by tmallinder
would there be any chance to get to a Russell Group uni with grades BBC through clearing for business studies, think I've done worse than I hoped in my exams!

go on UCAS search tool to find the lists of unis in clearing for business studies. I then suggest you ring up the unis you're interested in and ask them straight whether BBC would be good enough to be accepted. Normally clearing courses will accept grades up to 2 lower than the entry requirements but they are obviously exceptions e.g. the course is very undersubscribed so all you can do is ask around and hopefully you'll find somewhere wiling to take you. if not you could always retake a few exams as you'll have more choices available if you have ABB grades for instance :biggrin: i wish you luck and hope you've underestimated your abilities xx
Reply 4
Thanks so much! I've heard it can take days for insurance universities to release you through clearing though so that worries me as you have to get them to 'release' you before you can go into clearing!

if you've missed the offer by a lot then chances are the uni will just reject you meaning you'll be in clearing on the 18th but if you've only missed it narrowly then you may be kept waiting but this isn't always the case so nobody can say for sure whether you're gonna be left waiting or not. i suggest you ring up your insurance and ask them whether they keep people waiting if they ' narrowly' miss their offer so you know what to expect :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fefssdf
go on UCAS search tool to find the lists of unis in clearing for business studies. I then suggest you ring up the unis you're interested in and ask them straight whether BBC would be good enough to be accepted. Normally clearing courses will accept grades up to 2 lower than the entry requirements but they are obviously exceptions e.g. the course is very undersubscribed so all you can do is ask around and hopefully you'll find somewhere wiling to take you. if not you could always retake a few exams as you'll have more choices available if you have ABB grades for instance :biggrin: i wish you luck and hope you've underestimated your abilities xx

Thanks so much that's really helpful! Much appreciated
Reply 6
Original post by fefssdf
if you've missed the offer by a lot then chances are the uni will just reject you meaning you'll be in clearing on the 18th but if you've only missed it narrowly then you may be kept waiting but this isn't always the case so nobody can say for sure whether you're gonna be left waiting or not. i suggest you ring up your insurance and ask them whether they keep people waiting if they ' narrowly' miss their offer so you know what to expect :smile:

Problem is i don't think I will miss my conditional offer grade for my insurance but I'm certain that I will for my firm choice. It's just whether I take the gamble of asking to be 'released' from my insurance and then take my chances in clearing. Worried then that I will end up without a uni place altogether! This is a stressful business eh?!!!!
Original post by fefssdf

What if requirements are abb and i think i got bcd ? And the course and uni is in clearing? Will they accept me?
Reply 8
Problem is i don't think I will miss my conditional offer grade for my insurance but I'm certain that I will for my firm choice. It's just whether I take the gamble of asking to be 'released' from my insurance and then take my chances in clearing. Worried then that I will end up without a uni place altogether! This is a stressful business eh?!!!!

Yeh man I can relate ; my fear is that I'll be left in limbo and then will find out on like the 19th that they've rejected me and then I'll end up applying to like London met and will be a dustbin lady
Reply 9
Original post by coolgamer
What if requirements are abb and i think i got bcd ? And the course and uni is in clearing? Will they accept me?

It really depends on the uni and how many places / desperate they are to recruit students but unis will be cautious not to take too many people who've massively missed the offer as they don't want people dropping out the course ect cause they can't handle it and if you're getting pretty low alevels then that's a sign that the course would likely be too demanding for you . If it's a case of you should've worked harder then I suggest you retake some exams and then apply again rather than picking any old uni just for the sake of the uni experience as you'd likely regret it :/
My mum got Into Leeds with grades CCD.
She had an offer for CCC so she got in even though she was a grade lower.
So don't panic if you get less than expected, just see what the results are, what the universities say and explore the options then.
Hi just looking for some advice. I have applied to Plymouth (my firm) to do Early Childhood studies. I need 280 points with a minimum of 160 from two A levels which would be two C's. I already have a Distinction* in my btec which is 140 points.I have seen it in clearing and don't think it is a very competitive course but am worried about the two a levels being C's, how likely is it to be to accepted with at worst two D's which would be 40 points off? Thank uuuu and gd luck eveyone!!!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest