The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by od1e
Hey , I was wondering if anyone could help me because I have been trying to set up a Pearson Vue account to register for my ukcat but each time I get to the final stage it says its processing but the site never lets me finish the process.its the weekend and I cant call the helpline .What can I do?

Wait until Monday and then call them? *
Reply 1441
Original post by usycool1
Wait until Monday and then call them? *

Thanks,do you know the closing date for registration?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for me with VR! Was getting over 70% in practices and on real thing I got literally 0 true false can't tells... only super long passages with long statements :frown: my score was in the same range too

AR was harder than medify for sure but only a bit. In medify was getting 70-90% on AR and got 730 in the real thing as a couple were complex and trickier to get

QR was easier than practices and I surprised myself with that one.

Interesting how people seem to say similar things about how they found the test! :smile:
Original post by michrab123
Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for me with VR! Was getting over 70% in practices and on real thing I got literally 0 true false can't tells... only super long passages with long statements :frown: my score was in the same range too

AR was harder than medify for sure but only a bit. In medify was getting 70-90% on AR and got 730 in the real thing as a couple were complex and trickier to get

QR was easier than practices and I surprised myself with that one.

Interesting how people seem to say similar things about how they found the test! :smile:

What kind of patterns did you get in the actual test? Position? Size? Thanks
Original post by ronnydandam
What kind of patterns did you get in the actual test? Position? Size? Thanks

i can't remember that well as it was all a blur lol

I think a combination of all the usual ones, but there were a few i couldn't get so not sure what those were..*
i can't remember that well as it was all a blur lol

I think a combination of all the usual ones, but there were a few i couldn't get so not sure what those were..*

fair enough, QR easier than medify?
Original post by ronnydandam
fair enough, QR easier than medify?

Yes for sure! QR went way better than I expected so don't stress :smile: *

great, thanks a lot

thats good, thanks a lot
Reply 1449
Hi guys.
Here are my scores:
VR: 510:angry:
AR: 580
QR: 780:smile:
Sjt: band 3:angry:

Resources: medify and 600q book

VR: what the... Level of difficulty was similar to medify but I completely forgot my planned strategy: guess, flag and next! I only did 2/3 of the questions. So actually the score is not too bad given I didn't attempt all questions heh. ADVICE: When you're given the booklet, write down these three words: guess flag next. My score is lower than the medify mock score where I got high 500s to low 600s.

DM: I used a couple of mins to test the calculator then fast forwarded to qr. By this time I was relaxed and ready to crunch some numbers. This also meant I left the exam room thirty mins earlier!

QR: ok I love maths but I'm not a maths genius qnd you don't need to be a maths genius to score a high mark. Imo, it was much easier than medify. Questions were a bit more straightforward and most required 1-2 steps of calculation. Given I already knew I was failing vr, I made smart decisions like guessing a few questions. I think I guessed 3-4 out of the 31 questions I attempted. So yea time management wasn't great since I did not attempt the last 5 questions but I'm not complaining about my score! ADVICE: the calculator does NOT stay on the page after you click next so you'll have to click it again!! Also, it takes up so much of the page whereas in medify I was able to keep it on the far right of the page where there is hardly any text. The booklet to write on was nicely laminated. My score was much better than medify where I'd get 60% for attempting all questions.

AR: I never had expectations. I think the level of difficulty was similar to medify. And since I never had hope here, I am not too disappointed. Only thing is I wish I spent the last thirty seconds guessing the questions I didn't attempt (10!). People on this thread have already provided tips and those are what I used. Even when doing the medify questions, I'd come up with my explanations different from what medify suggests and still get 60% right. I think my score is in line with the medify mocks so no surprise here.

Sjt: shoot me now... Pls. I don't know how I ended up with band 3. I always got 1 in medify and a couple of band 2. I think my weakness is the fact that I'm very analytical. I also have difficulty with the "how important" question. I get the concept but I think I normally put down the opposite. I probably need to do some reading on this. Tbh unlike the rest, I never read on this or had a strategy. I simply imagined it was a real life situation.

Resources and revising:I wouldn't bother with the 600q book. I think medify is good enough. I only had it for 4 weeks but I probably used it for 10 days 2-3 hours practice. Even with the number of hours I spent practising (or less), it's still possible to ace it. Next time I'll probably do the same but practise more frequently like one hour every day instead of 2-3 over a couple of weeks.

Overall: this was my first Ukcat and it was more of taster for next year. Although I'm planning to apply to Warwick this year (I need a miracle so pls can the rest of Warwick applicants do badly in vr?) and a few Gamsat unis, I'm not convinced I'll get an offer (don't have long term work experience, who knows how I'll do in the gamsat and well I've already mentioned the miracle I need for vr). If anyone reading this thread and planning to do their Ukcat next year, if you can afford it, do it now...gain the experience so you're better equipped next year! To those of you planning to do it: good luck! There is a lot of advice here but do what you're comfortable with. For example I prefer using the numbers horizontally from the keyboard and not the ones on the right hand side. Others prefer the latter. All the best!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by od1e
Thanks,do you know the closing date for registration?

21st September, but try to book s date ASAP.
what percentages do most people have on medify? My UKCAT is 5th of september so have a month and my scores are 75% on Verbal, 78% on Situational, 72% on Quantitative and 71% on Abstract. I really want to get in the 700s, but a bit worried.
Original post by isabella1999
what percentages do most people have on medify? My UKCAT is 5th of september so have a month and my scores are 75% on Verbal, 78% on Situational, 72% on Quantitative and 71% on Abstract. I really want to get in the 700s, but a bit worried.

Don't worry too much about it! I had a lower score than you on Medify but when I did my UKCAT last year I ended up with 680 average over all :smile: Just keep practising and you'll get there in the end!
Original post by dr_2b
Hi guys. Here are my scores:VR: 510AR: 580QR: 780Sjt: band 3Resources: medify and 600q bookVR: what the... Level of difficulty was similar to medify but I completely forgot my planned strategy: guess, flag and next! I only did 2/3 of the questions. So actually the score is not too bad given I didn't attempt all questions heh. ADVICE: When you're given the booklet, write down these three words: guess flag next. My score is lower than the medify mock score where I got high 500s to low 600s.DM: I used a couple of mins to test the calculator then fast forwarded to qr. By this time I was relaxed and ready to crunch some numbers. This also meant I left the exam room thirty mins earlier!QR: ok I love maths but I'm not a maths genius qnd you don't need to be a maths genius to score a high mark. Imo, it was much easier than medify. Questions were a bit more straightforward and most required 1-2 steps of calculation. Given I already knew I was failing vr, I made smart decisions like guessing a few questions. I think I guessed 3-4 out of the 31 questions I attempted. So yea time management wasn't great since I did not attempt the last 5 questions but I'm not complaining about my score! ADVICE: the calculator does NOT stay on the page after you click next so you'll have to click it again!! Also, it takes up so much of the page whereas in medify I was able to keep it on the far right of the page where there is hardly any text. The booklet to write on was nicely laminated. My score was much better than medify where I'd get 60% for attempting all questions. AR: I never had expectations. I think the level of difficulty was similar to medify. And since I never had hope here, I am not too disappointed. Only thing is I wish I spent the last thirty seconds guessing the questions I didn't attempt (10!). People on this thread have already provided tips and those are what I used. Even when doing the medify questions, I'd come up with my explanations different from what medify suggests and still get 60% right. I think my score is in line with the medify mocks so no surprise here.Sjt: shoot me now... Pls. I don't know how I ended up with band 3. I always got 1 in medify and a couple of band 2. I think my weakness is the fact that I'm very analytical. I also have difficulty with the "how important" question. I get the concept but I think I normally put down the opposite. I probably need to do some reading on this. Tbh unlike the rest, I never read on this or had a strategy. I simply imagined it was a real life situation.Resources and revising:I wouldn't bother with the 600q book. I think medify is good enough. I only had it for 4 weeks but I probably used it for 10 days 2-3 hours practice. Even with the number of hours I spent practising (or less), it's still possible to ace it. Next time I'll probably do the same but practise more frequently like one hour every day instead of 2-3 over a couple of weeks. Overall: this was my first Ukcat and it was more of taster for next year. Although I'm planning to apply to Warwick this year (I need a miracle so pls can the rest of Warwick applicants do badly in vr?) and a few Gamsat unis, I'm not convinced I'll get an offer (don't have long term work experience, who knows how I'll do in the gamsat and well I've already mentioned the miracle I need for vr). If anyone reading this thread and planning to do their Ukcat next year, if you can afford it, do it now...gain the experience so you're better equipped next year! To those of you planning to do it: good luck! There is a lot of advice here but do what you're comfortable with. For example I prefer using the numbers horizontally from the keyboard and not the ones on the right hand side. Others prefer the latter. All the best!

Thanks a lot for the helpful information! I hope you get into the university you want to go to! Good luck, I am sure you will do good :smile:! My exam is in 10 days!!!
Original post by isabella1999

Hi Isabella

You still have lots of time so it is great that you are already taking your UKCAT prep seriously. As I am sure you are already aware, the more you practise, the better you will become!

You are definitely taking the right approach by setting time aside now and in the weeks leading up to your test date rather than trying to cram right before. I am sure this will all pay off in your score.

I thought you might be interested in reading this blog which is all about why it is so important to keep on practising. Hopefully it will reassure you that all your hard work will be worth it!

Do let me know if you have any questions I can answer... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions
So do you actually have the option of skipping DM in the real thing so you don't have to sit there doing nothing or keeping yourself occupied? I'd rather take a few mins to compose myself then get straight on with the next section than waste energy on DM. I'd assumed you had to wait out the duration of the section no matter what.
Original post by Chikkinn
So do you actually have the option of skipping DM in the real thing so you don't have to sit there doing nothing or keeping yourself occupied? I'd rather take a few mins to compose myself then get straight on with the next section than waste energy on DM. I'd assumed you had to wait out the duration of the section no matter what.

Yeah you can skip it and move on. It is an online test, you can move on however you like! Just end review and move on!
Original post by Chikku_7
Yeah you can skip it and move on. It is an online test, you can move on however you like! Just end review and move on!

Brilliant, thank you! I wasn't keen on sitting there living in fear of the next section...
Reply 1458
Hiya, yes please! Can I PM you please? thanks :smile:
Original post by StationToStation
I might be wrong here, but Cardiff only considers UKCAT if they need to decide between similar candidates and in Bristol it only accounts for 10%. But I'm not sure so it might be worth checking, you should google "how universities use the UKCAT", some people have made some useful pdf-documents :smile:

Your correct for cardiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending