The Student Room Group

why are most homophobes a*******?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miless090
Part of me wants to say they have parents to teach them morals, but older people are often found to be less tolerant so that probably wouldn't be much better. But still they should use common sense to teach them morals. If two consenting people are happy and in love, not hurting anyone, why should anyone else have a problem with it?

Yeah, I agree. I think it's pretty messed up if you need a book to tell you that going around on a stabbing spree or being horrible to someone is wrong. I feel like this should be an instinct to tell you that is wrong?I agree, I have no idea why things like that affect people's lives. I honestly think most homophobes are just hurt people inside.
Original post by Galaxie501
Luckily no western country punishes homosexuals, to my knowledge. I personally dont actually care if someone is gay or not, but what I do not like is the over-the-top flamboyant behaviour that some people exhibit. I would also dislike this behaviour in any straight person, by the way.

@loveleest

No, thats not the case. "I personally dont actually care if someone is gay or not, but what I do not like is the over-the-top flamboyant behaviour that some people exhibit. I would also dislike this behaviour in any straight person, by the way."

In conclusion: A society cannot be humanistic and advocate equal rights if not all people and social groups are equal (at least in front of the law). 100% social equality will never be reached however. Its a complete Utopia.

Oh okay. Far enough, I don't see a problem with that.
I accept that all humans are equal before the law, that doesnt mean I have to personally like them, does it?

In fact, I strongly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in a private companies decision. For example when a christian bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It is their right to deny anyone service for whatever reason. Thats the drawback of free speech. There is nothing more immoral than the state getting involved to dictate who the bakery has to serve.

Yes, Im an atheist.

You could use this exact same argument for denying say a black and a white person a wedding cake because you believe its wrong.Exceptions on the ground of religous beliefs is just discrimination by another name and I dont see why special exceptions should be made for religous people, simply because they believe a book of old myths to be true.
Original post by TercioOfParma
If most of the world are ********s doesn't that diminish the term?

Does it surprise you that most of the world are *******s?
Original post by tanyapotter

I don't think most people are, they simply have different beliefs about life from me for the most part.
Most people aren't actually homophobic just have different preferences and are scared of the unknown/closely guarded. Also, such a thing as heterophobia exists.
Unless we can establish an actual definition as to what an ******* is that everyone will agree with, you cant remotely address this q.
Reply 27
Well in order to be a homophobe you must fit the criteria of being an *******...
Reply 28
Original post by tanyapotter

No, not anymore. We are all going to ****.

Starting with ****ing Turkey.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Most people aren't actually homophobic just have different preferences and are scared of the unknown/closely guarded. Also, such a thing as heterophobia exists.

Heterophobia may exist but nobody was ever killed for being too straight.Its not nearly comparable.And I would say that most people are actually quite ignorant/stupid.
Reply 30
Just because we're white, doesn't mean that we're right. In this manner - if someone is against gay marriage you have to see it by their point of view. Not just your own, western one
Reply 31
Original post by Robby2312
You could use this exact same argument for denying say a black and a white person a wedding cake because you believe its wrong.Exceptions on the ground of religous beliefs is just discrimination by another name and I dont see why special exceptions should be made for religous people, simply because they believe a book of old myths to be true.

They didn't say they support it on religious grounds they said that people should have the choice who they want to do business with no matter who they are serving.
In fact, I strongly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in a private companies decision. For example when a christian bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It is their right to deny anyone service for whatever reason. Thats the drawback of free speech. There is nothing more immoral than the state getting involved to dictate who the bakery has to serve.

On one hand, I'd be pissed off at a business being that petty about it. But then again, as soon as I find out they're against LGBT rights, I'd gladly take my business elsewhere. All they've done is lose themselves business through their outdated beliefs.
All they've done is lose themselves business through their outdated beliefs.

Precisely. Its their own business risk if they decide to not serve them. It might hurt them or it might not, depending on how the surrounding people think about gays and so forth. Its not the governments issue as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately many people would disagree with me, but Im not too keen on being babysitted by wannabe bureaucrats.
Reply 34
It's not just homophobes it's everyone! Me, you even dear old grandma.
[video="youtube;rjb7rC-RnVc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb7rC-RnVc[/video]
what about homophobic people who don't do anything bad against homosexuals. are they still a*********?
Original post by Hashtosh302
what about homophobic people who don't do anything bad against homosexuals. are they still a*********?

Depends what you mean by not to anything bad. Most people who I've come across have been verbally abusive rather than physically abusive- they're still *******s.
If you aren't abusive in any way, then I can put up with it, but still think it's an outdated view.
(edited 7 years ago)
Depends what you mean by not to anything bad. Most people who I've come across have been verbally abusive rather than physically abusive- they're still *******s.

i mean the ones who dont act upon their dislike.They just accept it even though they dont agree with it
i mean the ones who dont act upon their dislike.They just accept it even though they dont agree with it

I can put up with it, but still think it's an outdated view.

Yes they are.Even if they dont actively harm gay people then they still have negative attitudes.These attitudes will likely be passed onto their children who will then be homophobic themselves.If you have people with negative attitudes towards gay people then their more likely to vote for a goverment with homophobic views.This could lead to homophobic laws being passed.In addition if they have gay children it could lead to them hating themselves which could lead to suicide.Gay people are 3 times more likely to commit suicide and it probably doesnt help if the people around them are all homophobic.At the very least it shows ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending