The Student Room Group

applying to medicine school - regarding foundation year

does anyone know of any uk med schools that have foundation years not requiring chemistry- or any other degree programmes at uk unis such as biomed; upon which you can transfer onto medicine within a year or so?
Original post by charlottie11
does anyone know of any uk med schools that have foundation years not requiring chemistry- or any other degree programmes at uk unis such as biomed; upon which you can transfer onto medicine within a year or so?

I know my university cardiff has an A104 course which is a foundation year for people who dont have the required subjects to enter the 5 year course. many did it who are now in my year because they didnt have A2 chemistry.

the only issue with cardiffs A104 is the entry grades are the same as A100 so you need to have stellar GCSEs.
Thanks for your reply I had seen Cardiff as a possibility also manchester perhaps A104
Original post by charlottie11
Thanks for your reply I had seen Cardiff as a possibility also manchester perhaps A104

Manchester is the same, they require the A100 entry requirements but in 2 sciences and 1 humanity subject/2 humanity and 1 science subjects or 3 humanities subjects.
Reply 4
An i missing something?! The whole point of foundation mis no science background?! Manchester is 3 good A levels, specifically without science x*
Original post by Zakadoh
An i missing something?! The whole point of foundation mis no science background?! Manchester is 3 good A levels, specifically without science x*

if you look very closely at manchester admissions policy for A104 it says you can have one of the following combinations at A2 to apply:
- 3 rigorous humanities
- 2 rigorous humanities plus 1 science (excluding chem)
- 1 rigorous humanity plus 2 sciences (excluding chem).

The foundation years are there for people who didnt take the right A2 levels, and doesnt discriminate between people who took 3 humanities and people who did end up taking a science but just not the required ones. Its not fair to discriminate saying foundation programmes cannot be applied for if you have a science alevel because that means they cannot apply for A100 as they dont have chemistry but cant apply to A104 because they took biology due to enjoying it. Hence why foundation programmes allow science A2 levels!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks Natalie
Reply 7
yeah you are clearly right! i was inebriated when I wrote that! As long as you dont have chemistry, or bio/phys/maths combo then foundation is definitely an option.I have always known that, sambuca lowered my threshold for stupidity!
Guys they dont want Applied Subjects in the course and l take Applied ICT...What would l have to do?

Im doing the new linear paper btw
Original post by Zakadoh
yeah you are clearly right! i was inebriated when I wrote that! As long as you dont have chemistry, or bio/phys/maths combo then foundation is definitely an option.I have always known that, sambuca lowered my threshold for stupidity!

Lol thank you received my as results yesterday and after hAving failing chemistry I definitely made the right decision by swapping to law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending