The Student Room Group

Law Degree

I will be soon starting A - levels and I am torn between 3 subjects.
They are: History, English Lit and Government and Politics.
Which 2 subjects from the following 3 would be the best for a Law Degree?
Reply 1
Original post by AmelieR

I don't think it really matters what you study at A Levels when applying for Law at uni. Go with what you'd enjoy the most.

Pretty much everyone I knew at uni were **** at writing essays when we first started out (inc. myself). So I don't think studying any one subject will give you an advantage w.r. to you doing well at uni.

W.r to admissions, some Russell Group uni's have a preferred list of subjects i think, so have a look at that.
Reply 2
Original post by bicks
I don't think it really matters what you study at A Levels when applying for Law at uni. Go with what you'd enjoy the most.

Pretty much everyone I knew at uni were **** at writing essays when we first started out (inc. myself). So I don't think studying any one subject will give you an advantage w.r. to you doing well at uni.

W.r to admissions, some Russell Group uni's have a preferred list of subjects i think, so have a look at that.

Ah ok, thanks !
Original post by AmelieR

Do the two you enjoy and will get the best grades in.

There arent specific A levels, but at least one essay based one can be handy.

If you forced me to choose, then I would pick History and English Lit, but what I said first is the key.
History is a very well regarded A-level to have.
There other two are probably good too but not as well regarded. The most important thing is to get good grades which is easier to achieve if you pick subjects you like.
Reply 5
English literature and history combined with another would be acceptable at most universities. Some have a preference for the core academic subjects of sciences, mathematics, economics, languages, classics, music and geography, in addition to those two. If you want to keep as many options open as possible, pick from that list for your third and fourth. Politics isn't a bad one per se. It's just if you're applying for Oxbridge that it's further down their list of preferred options, although it wouldn't necessarily prohibit you from applying.*
I would pick history and politics. Politics would be useful for administrative and constitutional law, I wish I'd done politics A level and it's also a fine choice for applications.*
Tell us what else you picked or we can't help.
Reply 8
I would say history and probably politics. I'm taking both of them and they were described as two of the ideal subjects by my college
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Tell us what else you picked or we can't help.

Well, I'm also picking Geography and EPQ.
Original post by AmelieR
Well, I'm also picking Geography and EPQ.

In that case any selection would be fine. You should try to have two 'facilitating subjects' which universities look fondly on. These are subjects like History, Geography, Lit, Languages, and the sciences. Have two of those and then it doesn't matter which other subjects you pick.

Personally I took History, Lit, and Politics, and I feel that they are all excellent preparation for a Law degree.
Reply 11
None of the a-levels there are 'needed' for a law degree. You could do all sciences and get into law. You could even not do a law degree but go into law through a one year conversion course and be as qualified as an actual lawyer, and yes this is done in the very best unis as well! All in all my point is that the a-levels you choose don't matter, the only thing that does matter is your enjoyment in the subjects (trust me I'v done As levels and this is the key to getting good grades). I do agree with 'abstract prism' about the facilitating subjects so make sure you choose either History or English Lit in combination with government and politics or just politics a-level. Just for general advice don't choose law as an a-level since its not respected and the best university's that you apply for wont appreciate them as much, then again there are always scenarios where law a-level hasn't effected anyone. And also everyone Iv spoken to absolutely loved government and politics so do consider looking at the specifications and syllabuses on it.

Quick Reply

Latest