The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He didn't make enough forward passes for me, solid underrated CM but a couple of seasons I couldn't stand him due to his inability to pass forward. Interceptions may be good but he can't tackle for **** either. Decent but hardly groundbreaking.
For me as well, Blind was bought to be (and is as near to) as the new Carrick. Obviously he was paired with Mike to be a ball playing LCB but I'd like to see Blind being considered as a CDM under Jose, as unlikely as that is.
Only Zlatan Ibrahimovic (78) has missed more clear-cut chances in the last 4 Ligue 1 seasons than Cavani (64) - WhoScored

hehe
Nothing against United , I just really want Mourinho to fail.
That stats is why Whoscored is just concentrated cancer. Leonardo Di Caprio has missed more clear cut chances to bed VS models than me in the last 4 years.

That said, the concerns over Zlatan are well founded. There was plenty of analysis of his last season at PSG with data suggesting that although in raw numbers he's still a monster his game, even in the warm fluffy confines of Ligue 1, is adapting. Much like Ronaldo, his influence and minutes are still there, his positional play suggests he's having to play a different game to ensure that remains the same. Last season his movement was the worst its ever been in terms of volume but his shot volume ( and expected goals from those shots indicating worthwhile shots) was the best its ever been. He's certainly making a concerted decision in moving into efficiency mode. Obviously the big worry will be his own contrast between Ligue 1 metrics and UCL ones, with the PL being somewhere in between most likely.

I think the key players for Zlatan this season will be Myhitaryan and Martial, and as is seems to be case every season the worry will be Rooney. He's going to need movement from players around him especially the former two worrying the CB's rathers than just their FB, and looking to break in behind from the wide areas. If those two can be very mobile and influential Zlatan will have fewer problems with remaining central and getting into the danger areas without having to use pace or physicality on the ball to do so. If they fail to do that, Zlatan isn't going to be going wide searching for the ball and once he's deep we're going to get seriously congested build up play. Rooney is obviously the issue because we know how territorial he has become in his later years over the number 10 position a far cry from the Ronaldo, Tevez days of athletic fluid interchange. If Rooney isn't flexible or a very good understanding isn't forthcoming, we are going to face similar problems as PSG have with Zlatan and Pastore.

I still think he's a great addition, when considered that he came on a free its blindingly good business looking at the market. However I think we are signing a good striker, a significant upgrade from what we have and a much needed one. However we are not signing a superstar monster forward. He's no longer and elite player, but if we manage him and provide the service he now cannot create himself, we could still get a very productive season out of him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fizzel comes through 🔥🔥🔥
Reply 2126
Original post by Fizzel
That stats is why Whoscored is just concentrated cancer. Leonardo Di Caprio has missed more clear cut chances to bed VS models than me in the last 4 years.

That said, the concerns over Zlatan are well founded. There was plenty of analysis of his last season at PSG with data suggesting that although in raw numbers he's still a monster his game, even in the warm fluffy confines of Ligue 1, is adapting. Much like Ronaldo, his influence and minutes are still there, his positional play suggests he's having to play a different game to ensure that remains the same. Last season his movement was the worst its ever been in terms of volume but his shot volume ( and expected goals from those shots indicating worthwhile shots) was the best its ever been. He's certainly making a concerted decision in moving into efficiency mode. Obviously the big worry will be his own contrast between Ligue 1 metrics and UCL ones, with the PL being somewhere in between most likely.

I think the key players for Zlatan this season will be Myhitaryan and Martial, and as is seems to be case every season the worry will be Rooney. He's going to need movement from players around him especially the former two worrying the CB's rathers than just their FB, and looking to break in behind from the wide areas. If those two can be very mobile and influential Zlatan will have fewer problems with remaining central and getting into the danger areas without having to use pace or physicality on the ball to do so. If they fail to do that, Zlatan isn't going to be going wide searching for the ball and once he's deep we're going to get seriously congested build up play. Rooney is obviously the issue because we know how territorial he has become in his later years over the number 10 position a far cry from the Ronaldo, Tevez days of athletic fluid interchange. If Rooney isn't flexible or a very good understanding isn't forthcoming, we are going to face similar problems as PSG have with Zlatan and Pastore.

I still think he's a great addition, when considered that he came on a free its blindingly good business looking at the market. However I think we are signing a good striker, a significant upgrade from what we have and a much needed one. However we are not signing a superstar monster forward. He's no longer and elite player, but if we manage him and provide the service he now cannot create himself, we could still get a very productive season out of him.

Essentially drop Rooney which aint going to happen so mourinho will have to stagger minutes every now and again between ibra and rooney.

He did do that with benzema and higuain but they have less power in the team compared to Rooney.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mou will eventually drop Rooney. Give him about 2 months.
Reply 2128
Original post by Rk2k14
Mou will eventually drop Rooney. Give him about 2 months.

He will in a season or two but right now he is not going to be dropped.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
He will in a season or two but right now he is not going to be dropped.

He won't put up with Rooney's poor performances for a whole season before he starts to drop him. He'll be gone next season imo.

We are talking about the Jose Mourinho you know. Man doesn't play around.
Mourinho loves Rooney too much so won't drop him.
Reply 2131
Original post by Rk2k14
He won't put up with Rooney's poor performances for a whole season before he starts to drop him. He'll be gone next season imo.

We are talking about the Jose Mourinho you know. Man doesn't play around.

He used Ivanovic for a season and a half despite knowing full well he was causing us to concede goals.

He has his favourites and Rooney is one of them.
I think it could be a problem, but we'll see. If Myhitaryan is as influential as he has been then we could be fine with our transitions coming heavily though the wide areas. We've got Martial backed by Shaw and Myhitaryan backed by Tony V/Darmian so we should have plenty of pace down the wings. If we can get a ball carrying, passing and offensive minded CM like Pogba, the attacks might simply bypass Rooney in many cases.

The main reason I can see Jose dropping Rooney will be much the same reason his and SAF's relationship went sour, which was Rooney lost the defensive discipline he used to show when operating at 10. He used to offer the bi polor nature of being a fully fledged striker in attack but the defensive work rate of a midfielder harassing the deepest midfielder. That was where I was wondering whether Herrera could possibly get a look in, he's basically a AM terrier of a player.
Also, Rooney isnt the same player he was when Mourinho wanted him. Clearly declined dramatically.
Reply 2134
Original post by Rk2k14
Also, Rooney isnt the same player he was when Mourinho wanted him. Clearly declined dramatically.

Possibly but people thought LVG would drop Rooney and what happened. I will say this now, Mourinho will be using him this season as first choice alongside Ibra.

In fact I think Ibra is more likely to be dropped over the season compared to Rooney.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Possibly but people thought LVG would drop Rooney and what happened. I will say this now, Mourinho will be using him this season as first choice alongside Ibra.

In fact I think Ibra is more likely to be dropped over the season compared to Rooney.

The only reason Ibra will be dropped more is because of his age. 4yrs older than Rooney and first time in the PL.

Rooney will be the one dropped first on performances.
Reply 2136
Original post by Rk2k14
The only reason Ibra will be dropped more is because of his age. 4yrs older than Rooney and first time in the PL.

Rooney will be the one dropped first on performances.

He played Fernando Torres and used him as first choice for an entire season despite Ba and Eto'o clearly being better strikers ffs.
Pep is tryna show everyone how much of a baller he is :lol:

Man's made 8 signings. Madness! Will be very interested to see how they do against Arsenal tomorrow....
Original post by trapking
Pep is tryna show everyone how much of a baller he is :lol:

Man's made 8 signings. Madness! Will be very interested to see how they do against Arsenal tomorrow....

dfbi
Pogba falls through on deadline day after Eddie forgets to buy a new fax machine, Basti fails to manufacture a move away, wins PFA Player of the Year when Mourinho realises that he's still the best b2b midfielder since Johan Neeskens.

Latest