The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety and making a doctor's appointment

I don't know if it really is paradoxalical, but doesn't it seem it?

Wanting to go to the GP because you think you might have social anxiety because you can't pick up a phone or make phone calls, you get panic attacks regularly, can't hold eye contact, unable to speak to authoritative figures, unable to meet and talk to strangers, talking to people who aren't even strangers...
But you can't because of all that....?How on earth is someone with possible social anxiety meant to attempt to get help?
That's the point of anxiety - to not make you want to do something out of fear. It only takes the knowledge that these fears are irrational, in order to start overcoming it.
It really is. On the Social Anxiety forums I used to frequent some people had success writing the situation down and handing it to the doctor or reading it to them. I took a family member with me who was sympathetic to my situation and got them to explain. My doctor wasn't very helpful said it was "personality" and something that couldn't be changed. Hopefully it goes better for you but if not you can refer yourself to IAPT.
Could you go with a close friend or ask a friend/family member to call up and make the appointment for you? I also used to have really bad problems with anxiety which I've mostly got over now, but what I did was write all my symptoms down and then hand it to the doctor to read. He then asked me questions - I'm not sure if your anxiety is the same as mine - but I find it easier if there's no way out and I have to interact. It can be really hard to get help but it can be a really good thing once you get into it. I do things now that I couldn't even dream of doing before. For instance, I just got back from Walmart where I bought some ham at the deli counter - so much scary interaction, but I can do it now. :smartass:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if it really is paradoxalical, but doesn't it seem it?

Wanting to go to the GP because you think you might have social anxiety because you can't pick up a phone or make phone calls, you get panic attacks regularly, can't hold eye contact, unable to speak to authoritative figures, unable to meet and talk to strangers, talking to people who aren't even strangers...
But you can't because of all that....?How on earth is someone with possible social anxiety meant to attempt to get help?

Could you go with a close friend or ask a friend/family member to call up and make the appointment for you? I also used to have really bad problems with anxiety which I've mostly got over now, but what I did was write all my symptoms down and then hand it to the doctor to read. He then asked me questions - I'm not sure if your anxiety is the same as mine - but I find it easier if there's no way out and I have to interact. It can be really hard to get help but it can be a really good thing once you get into it. I do things now that I couldn't even dream of doing before. For instance, I just got back from Walmart where I bought some ham at the deli counter - so much scary interaction, but I can do it now. :smartass:
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
That's the point of anxiety - to not make you want to do something out of fear. It only takes the knowledge that these fears are irrational, in order to start overcoming it.

I think I know those fears are completely irrational but every time I try and overcome them I tell myself it's irrational, my reactions to the fears turn up and make it impossible.

Original post by 99_Problems
It really is. On the Social Anxiety forums I used to frequent some people had success writing the situation down and handing it to the doctor or reading it to them. I took a family member with me who was sympathetic to my situation and got them to explain. My doctor wasn't very helpful said it was "personality" and something that couldn't be changed. Hopefully it goes better for you but if not you can refer yourself to IAPT.

I wouldn't be able to go into the GP to hand them what I had written down, I'd be too scared - mine isn't just about talking, it's about being around people I'm not comfortable around.
The IAPT fin my burrough (minus the fact that I wouldn't be able to speak or do anything anyway) only accepts patients who are 18+, unlike the majority of other IAPTs (I'm under 18).

Original post by Sabertooth

Well done!!!
If I have to interact I won't be able to speak at all and I'll probably end up having a mini-panic attack. ughghghgh I just can't.
OP, you are going to have to overcome this at some point in your life. There is no way you'll earn a living without talking to people.
Reply 7
Original post by shawn_o1
OP, you are going to have to overcome this at some point in your life. There is no way you'll earn a living without talking to people.

I know this and I've tried to overcome it myself - for a while it wasn't so bad, and then life happened and it got much worse.
If I could just snap my fingers and be able to talk to people just fine and pick up the phone when it rings, I would - but I can't. And I think I want to be a teacher... so the making a living without talking to people part is much worse than it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest