The Student Room Group

Good unis for Law?

I'm planning to take either Law or Law and Politics. What are some good unis for the subject? I'm predicted an ABB at A level and a B in an Extended Project
Go and look at Heap on University grades. the law section shows you the average offers. generally higher the offer more competitive it is to get in. Go to the best uni you cna that whetever grades you get will help you achieve.
Reply 2
Put it this way, if there is any possibility you want to be a commercial lawyer in the future at a big city firm this is what you need

Good GCSE's + AAB or above at A level + a degree from a Russell Group university or Oxbridge (1st or a good 2:1) + lots of extra curricular + vacation schemes at law firms + fierce determination

I think you get the hint on what unis are acceptable. Law is a dog eat dog degree and a cut throat profession, pick wisely.
Reply 3
Put it this way, if there is any possibility you want to be a commercial lawyer in the future at a big city firm this is what you need;

Good GCSE's (A*-B grades) + AAB or above at A level + a degree in a respectable subject from a Russell Group university or Oxbridge (being a 1st or a good 2:1) + lots of extra curricular + vacation schemes at city law firms + fierce determination

I think you get the hint on what unis are acceptable. Law is a dog eat dog degree and a cut throat profession, pick wisely.

Note city law firms also have A level filters, few ABB the rest pretty much AAB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ORW
Put it this way, if there is any possibility you want to be a commercial lawyer in the future at a big city firm this is what you need

Good GCSE's + AAB or above at A level + a degree from a Russell Group university or Oxbridge (1st or a good 2:1) + lots of extra curricular + vacation schemes at law firms + fierce determination

What if i have all of them bar good gcse grades? i'm going to get 4 A * at A level, i already have work experience at a law firm, i've volunteered for Oxfam. I only have 6 passes at GCSE and i don't really have an excuse for it, but i etepped up my game and i'm goi g to receive 4 A * which i think could save me
Reply 5
Original post by ORW
Put it this way, if there is any possibility you want to be a commercial lawyer in the future at a big city firm this is what you need;

Good GCSE's (A*-B grades) + AAB or above at A level + a degree in a respectable subject from a Russell Group university or Oxbridge (being a 1st or a good 2:1) + lots of extra curricular + vacation schemes at city law firms + fierce determination

Note city law firms also have A level filters, few ABB the rest pretty much AAB.

I'm predicted an ABB at A level but have serious mitigating factors as to why I didn't get better grades and am considering studying law at Liverpool (as it's Russell Group), Aston, or Keele (as they're higher ranked). Do you think I stand a chance?
Reply 6
Original post by asos98
What if i have all of them bar good gcse grades? i'm going to get 4 A * at A level, i already have work experience at a law firm, i've volunteered for Oxfam. I only have 6 passes at GCSE and i don't really have an excuse for it, but i etepped up my game and i'm goi g to receive 4 A * which i think could save me

Some universities (respected universities) are fussy on GCSEs and some are not. same with Law firms but on the whole it is best to have a top notch profile the whole way so with your A level grades you should be fine
Reply 7
That is pretty horrible advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That is pretty horrible advice.

#norepsforyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jb1702
I'm predicted an ABB at A level but have serious mitigating factors as to why I didn't get better grades and am considering studying law at Liverpool (as it's Russell Group), Aston, or Keele (as they're higher ranked). Do you think I stand a chance?

I hope I don't sound like a miserable and derogative sod but Liverpool will not cut it, yes its RG but is lets the RG down due to its very low entry requirements for a RG... Many people see Liverpool as the weak relation in the RG due to these lower grade requirements, and many often wonder how it got elected as a RG. You would stand a chance at a good regional firm or national firm, but not a city firm with ABB plus a Liverpool degree I am afraid. ABB is below nearly all city firm filters of AAB and add Liverpool's lowly reputation for Law really does not help. Aston and Keele would not give you a hope in hell of a city firm and are worse than Liverpool both as unis and for Law. The league tables are known to be flawed and are not that accurate for some unis
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

This guide is more confirmation of my point on Liverpool but also shows you are pretty much screwed for becoming a corporate lawyer if you do not attend Oxbridge or a Russell Group. Liverpool is the RG that has a poor showing here for the big firms. This is how Law is, fierce, so deal with it and go to the right place. If you can... Do not go to a poor non RG an expect to be a corporate high flyer, will not happen at all.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest