The Student Room Group

Computer science students are lucky...

CS students are lucky: they don’t have to land a placement/internship at a tech company to gain work experience while still in Uni. They can showcase their ability in a way that most companies will respect through:

1.Side projects - Creating apps they can showcase through Github etc
2.Open source Contributing to open source projects
3.Stack Overflow gaining a reputation through asking and answering questions
4.Local business offer to make an application for a local business and end up with both a showcase-able app and a reference for your CV

#4 is the subject matter for my MBA dissertation. I haven’t actually heard of someone doing this, but it just sounds logical to me and I want to test it out. I’ve got a few small businesses willing to participate, I just need to find CS students who think this is something worth test driving…
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bn1
CS students are lucky: they don’t have to land a placement/internship at a tech company to gain work experience while still in Uni. They can showcase their ability through:

1. Side projects - Creating apps they can showcase through Github etc
2. Open source Contributing to open source projects
3. Stack Overflow gaining a reputation through asking and answering questions
4. Local business offer to make an application for a local business and end up with both a showcase-able app and a reference for your CV

#4 is the subject matter for my MBA dissertation. I haven’t actually heard of someone doing this, but it just sounds logical to me and I want to test it out. I’ve got a few small businesses willing to participate, I just need to find CS students who think this is something worth test driving…

Southdevon college in Torbay make all CS students on their foundation degree create a project for a local business.

Also many universities still offer placements at my uni Brunel it is all but mandatory but they find you a placement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
bn1
OP
Original post by niteninja1
Southdevon college in Torbay make all CS students on their foundation degree create a project for a local business.

Also many universities still offer placements at my uni Brunel it is all but mandatory but they find you a placement.

That's interesting thanks for sharing that! I'll try and reach out to the peeps at Southdevon College.

I don't have any direct experience or first hand accounts of placements, but I wonder if you are just given sundry assignments on a big project, compared to going through the entire creative process with a local business - from designing to building an MVP and getting to test it out in a commercial environment.

And this again speaks to the good fortune of CS students: they can do both!
Reply 3
bn1
OP
Original post by mrahim
Good idea. I am a CS student.

Thanks mrahim, as another commenter mentioned, some colleges/unis already offer this option.

Is it not available at yours?
Original post by bn1
That's interesting thanks for sharing that! I'll try and reach out to the peeps at Southdevon College.

I don't have any direct experience or first hand accounts of placements, but I wonder if you are just given sundry assignments on a big project, compared to going through the entire creative process with a local business - from designing to building an MVP and getting to test it out in a commercial environment.

And this again speaks to the good fortune of CS students: they can do both!

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
bn1
OP
Original post by niteninja1
The head of the computer science d

Please don't mention where you got the email

Thank you! I've got his details, please remove them from your comment :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending