The Student Room Group

London accent - anyone else think it sounds horrendous?

Scroll to see replies

I'm from London and speak with an RP accent. :s-smilie: London is a mixture of many different accents and so your thread makes little sense.
I think London accents sounds really hot, anything from the MLE ghetto to Sloane Ranger
Original post by JamesN88
All Savarners sound horrendous. :biggrin:

ay oooop tharrre, naaarce to see we ave a nooorvern lad around on ere
Reply 23
Well I'm from Lancashire and have a god awful accent (seriously, northern accents are disgusting).... I'd give anything to have a London accent it sounds so much nicer than my Lancashire accent
I think that accent is terrible, especially when they say "be-a" for better..
Reply 25
At least you can understand it.
Reply 26
Well as a brummie, the amount of hate our accents get, I really can't say too much haha
Original post by inhuman
Like someone from say Liverpool has a strong accent, too. But that sounds more like a "normal" accent.

I'm disappointed in anyone who didn't spot this obvious bait.

The London accent is the best in the UK. Irish and Welsh accents are pretty cool too.

But Scouse accents must genuinely be the worst in the country. Sometimes it's so bad my mum needs subtitles while watching those sky sports analysts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
I'm sorry but come on guys. How can you NOT spot such obvious bait.

The London accent is the best in the UK. Irish and Welsh accents are pretty cool too.

But Scouse accents must genuinely be the worst in the country. Sometimes it's so bad my mum needs subtitles while watching those sky sports analysts.

I secretly don't like the chav-ish London accent either, even though I can't help having one.

I really love accents like Tom Hiddleston's and Keira Knightley's and Peter Capaldi's when it comes to British accents.
I think there are more attractive accents out there than MLE and Cockney, but Cockney is iconic.
Original post by inhuman
You are the reason I thought of this. I saw your baiting out a sket video and some others and remember what I hated about London.

What's that got to do with accents though? If anything, the London accent is the standard in the UK; closest to the Queen's English, and the most coherent, I'm not putting down other accents, but you must be joking if you think London accents are abnormal
Original post by Prince of Punani

They're nice and easy to understand as long as they're not extremely thick. They don't sound like they're forcing themselves to be camp. They don't sound stuck up. They don't sound like they've chewed on marbles. And all the foreign people I know always list those among their favourite accents from the UK.
Original post by lucabrasi98
They're nice and easy to understand as long as they're not extremely thick. They don't sound like they're forcing themselves to be camp. They don't sound stuck up. They don't sound like they've chewed on marbles. And all the foreign people I know always list those among their favourite accents from the UK.

I find some Welsh voices soft and soothing, but the Irish one I just don't get. I think it's an Anglo-sphere thing to circlejerk over the Irish accent since people who speak English as their first language are pretty bad when it comes to learning actual foreign languages, so the most exotic thing they're exposed to is the Irish accent.

To me, Irish accents just sound like slightly more musical ''scouse'' accents, you can hear a definite relationship between the two. I mean Jimmy Cricket is hardly a sex symbol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
I love the cockney, East-London-ish accent, but not the rest. I bloody hate that chavvy accent people in the South talk with (I am from the South).

How do people in south london talk? I was never really aware of a difference...
There is like 15 different accents in London
Original post by inhuman
Like someone from say Liverpool has a strong accent, too. But that sounds more like a "normal" accent.

With that London accent, I just can't help but feel that it sounds like trash. Like you are from the ghetto. Ugh. It hurts my ears.

Anyone else?

And who said petty snobbery was dead?
safe mate
I have a pretty posh 'normal' accent and a few 'chav' londoners said I sounded funny.
I hate kids up north who put on a London street accent and start using London street slang. Like they've watched too many grime videos or something. They sound like wannabes.

Quick Reply

Latest