The Student Room Group

GCSE Exam result help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is a GCSE with 60% coursework and 40% tests what would you need to get in both to get an A star overall
Original post by lucy101010
If there is a GCSE with 60% coursework and 40% tests what would you need to get in both to get an A star overall

What subject? Exam board?
Reply 2

It's about how it balances. Most of these qualifications have a mark of 200 overall (UMS) and 180 is needed for A*.

Coursework is worth 120 marks.
Exam is worth 80 marks.

This means that you could get full UMS in the exam and get an A* with 100 UMS on coursework (this is an A).

On the other hand, you could get full UMS in the coursework and get an A* with 60 UMS on the exam (this is a B).

As long as your marks total to over 180 UMS, you have an A*.
Reply 3
Original post by danielwinstanley
what subject? Exam board?

llw ccea.
Reply 4
Original post by ad4m
It's about how it balances. Most of these qualifications have a mark of 200 overall (UMS) and 180 is needed for A*.

Coursework is worth 120 marks.
Exam is worth 80 marks.

This means that you could get full UMS in the exam and get an A* with 100 UMS on coursework (this is an A).

On the other hand, you could get full UMS in the coursework and get an A* with 60 UMS on the exam (this is a B).

As long as your marks total to over 180 UMS, you have an A*.

Thanks !
Reply 5
So if i got 60% in my coursework i would need 30% in my exams.
Reply 6
So if i got 60% in my coursework i would need 30% in my exams.

That's not really how it works. You need to treat each component separately. You need 90% UMS to get an A* on a component.

For example, in a physics exam

54/75 = A* in raw marks.
54 is not 90% of 75 so UMS is used.

144/160 (160 is max UMS for this component) is given to anyone who got 54/75. This clarifies that they have an A* in this component because it is 90% of the UMS marks. 144 is 90% of 160.
Reply 7
Original post by ad4m
That's not really how it works. You need to treat each component separately. You need 90% UMS to get an A* on a component.

For example, in a physics exam

54/75 = A* in raw marks.
54 is not 90% of 75 so UMS is used.

144/160 (160 is max UMS for this component) is given to anyone who got 54/75. This clarifies that they have an A* in this component because it is 90% of the UMS marks. 144 is 90% of 160.

O right thanks :smile:

To get an A you should either get an A on your coursework and A on your test or an A* on coursework and B on test would still get you an A overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest