The Student Room Group

im a mess help

so basiacally im not going to be present for the first 3 weeks of as-level and my sixth form is giving me no support, so i want to get those three weeks worth of lessons in the bag in these hols,, but this is proving mega difficult bc i have 0 resources as im not 100% on what textbooks im supposed to be using, also im strapped for time because ill only be done in time if i start now not to mention the crippling weight of results day which makes me doubt weather ill be able to do those subjects at all so any advice? please?
:*

thanks for all the advice guys honestly i needed it, ive been hella freaking out
Also if anyone has any resouces that could help id really appreciate it! my subjects are media(AQA), psychology(AQA), sociology(AQA) and rs (Edexcel)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Which subjects are you going to take?
Reply 2
Don't worry about it, you'll be able to catch up. The first three weeks is mostly introductions to the subjects that you'll be able to pick up later. Can I ask why you're missing so long?
Original post by thatsgrape
so basiacally im not going to be present for the first 3 weeks of as-level and my sixth form is giving me no support, so i want to get those three weeks worth of lessons in the bag in these hols,, but this is proving mega difficult bc i have 0 resources as im not 100% on what textbooks im supposed to be using, also im strapped for time because ill only be done in time if i start now not to mention the crippling weight of results day which makes me doubt weather ill be able to do those subjects at all so any advice? please?

online resources?? and probably ask your school which textbook they are going to be using mayb on results day or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Three weeks isn't much oh a big deal if you know what exam boards you're studying with. All you need are each of the specifications, the official/recommended textbooks, the internet, and your brain. If you're a fast learner, you could potentially be way ahead of your class.
Reply 5
Original post by Ezme39
Which subjects are you going to take?

Psychology
Media
R.S
and Sociology hopefully (bc i haven't completely confirmed it)
Reply 6
Original post by jb1702
Don't worry about it, you'll be able to catch up. The first three weeks is mostly introductions to the subjects that you'll be able to pick up later. Can I ask why you're missing so long?

Spoiler

Media
R.S

Step 1 go on the college website to check the specifications/ exam board

step 2 ask someone else going to the college also starting to ask if they know

step 3 Try and contact someone who has just completed the first year already asking the specs and content.

Once you find out which exam board it is you can go online and work out what you need to know.

step 4 STOP WORRYING the first 3 weeks are usually a waste of time trying to settle you in and explain the full course structure and what they expect of you.

PS. Why are you missing the first 3 weeks ? :smile:
[QUOTE="thatsgrape;66808962"]Psychology
Reply 8
Original post by _howl
Three weeks isn't much oh a big deal if you know what exam boards you're studying with. All you need are each of the specifications, the official/recommended textbooks, the internet, and your brain. If you're a fast learner, you could potentially be way ahead of your class.

But the thing is I don't know which textbooks im going to be using because apparently the sixth form are changing this year, but I'm just gonna take my chances and order some, lol and i'm not a fast learner, but I think I'll be ok, if the first three weeks are mainly intros, also thank you for replying I've been put at ease a little
Reply 9
Original post by im.a.witch
Media
R.S

step 3 Try and contact someone who has just completed the first year already asking the specs and content.

Once you find out which exam board it is you can go online and work out what you need to know.

step 4 STOP WORRYING the first 3 weeks are usually a waste of time trying to settle you in and explain the full course structure and what they expect of you.

Psychology

thank you so much!! i was literally freaking out, lol im missing it for a pilgrimage, i guess ill do a little prep but not too much

thank you so much!! i was literally freaking out, lol im missing it for a pilgrimage, i guess ill do a little prep but not too much

No problem :smile: Good luck . Which pilgrimage Jerusalem ,Lourdes or Hajj ?
Original post by im.a.witch
No problem :smile: Good luck . Which pilgrimage Jerusalem ,Lourdes or Hajj ?

Im going to be going Hajj, wow i didn't know there were so many pilgrimages lol, and thanks! I'll need it
Im going to be going Hajj, wow i didn't know there were so many pilgrimages lol, and thanks! I'll need it

Yeah haha. The western wall is the most important for Jewish pilgrimages :smile:

Lourdes is the most common for Catholicism

thanks for all the advice guys honestly i needed it, ive been hella freaking out
Also if anyone has any resouces that could help id really appreciate it! my subjects are media(AQA), psychology(AQA), sociology(AQA) and rs (Edexcel)

Since you know the boards, you should buy a textbook/revision guide for each and search up their specifications. Then, create a timetable for yourself so that you do say 4 hours of work a day, two in the morning and two in the afternoon, so one hour of each subject in total and do this for three weeks or so. Missing three weeks at the beginning isn't really terrible, the first week of study is usually introductory stuff. I would say for each subject you would barely do more than a quarter of a unit, depending on the size of the unit. Therefore, have a go at the first few bullet points under the heading of the first unit of the specification (of course if you want to do more do so! :smile: ). Media has a lot of coursework so there isn't much you can do for that. Best of luck though and don't worry about not getting the grades, just focus on the present and know you have done the best you could do to prepare yourself!
If you ask nicely they arent going to refuse telling you whats on your syllabus or which exam noard you are doing and what areas you are going to cover. As suggested above just go for a revision book and read up on those.
Original post by leopard923
Since you know the boards, you should buy a textbook/revision guide for each and search up their specifications. Then, create a timetable for yourself so that you do say 4 hours of work a day, two in the morning and two in the afternoon, so one hour of each subject in total and do this for three weeks or so. Missing three weeks at the beginning isn't really terrible, the first week of study is usually introductory stuff. I would say for each subject you would barely do more than a quarter of a unit, depending on the size of the unit. Therefore, have a go at the first few bullet points under the heading of the first unit of the specification (of course if you want to do more do so! :smile: ). Media has a lot of coursework so there isn't much you can do for that. Best of luck though and don't worry about not getting the grades, just focus on the present and know you have done the best you could do to prepare yourself!

sounds good! thats a good strategy im going to try and fit in as many lessons as i can, thank you so much for replying, ur advice is mega helpful
sounds good! thats a good strategy im going to try and fit in as many lessons as i can, thank you so much for replying, ur advice is mega helpful

You're welcome :biggrin:. Enjoy your pilgrimage!:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest