The Student Room Group

Newcastle A101 Graduate Entry

Thought it might be a good idea to make a separate thread for A101 applicants.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am looking at applying to Newcastle for GEM, but am struggling with access to funding for maintenance and accommodation, any suggestions?
Reply 2
Original post by GDHope
I am looking at applying to Newcastle for GEM, but am struggling with access to funding for maintenance and accommodation, any suggestions?

do you mean getting tuition and maintenance loans from Student Finance? if so, this might be a useful read.
Reply 3
Original post by Hugh Laurie
do you mean getting tuition and maintenance loans from Student Finance? if so, this might be a useful read.

Thankyou, that is really helpful. Do you know if Newcastle offer any funding themselves?
Reply 4
Original post by GDHope
Thankyou, that is really helpful. Do you know if Newcastle offer any funding themselves?

I got a place on GEM for entry this year, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't anything from Newcastle for your bog-standard student. I'm not sure if they provide anything if you've got children or anything.
Happy to answer questions about anything else.
Would anyone like to discuss the interview sections for Newcastle and what you understand them to be looking for at each?
They are, from what I've read:

Preparation and Motivation for Med School
Effective learning skills
Team working
Personal Qualities/Resilience
Interpersonal Communication skills
Empathy, sensitivity and integrity.

Any ideas?
Personally I'm curious about how they use the UKCAT to get to the interview stage, any ideas?
I mean that seems out of control,
but dont they just receive all the UKCAT results and take the top 25% or so, they decide on a threshold in conjunction with durham and then go for everyone above that. Then UKCAT isnt relevant there after.
Well I've ended up with a 743 average, which I felt was pretty comfortable to get to the interview stage. But right now I'm rather worried..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relax, Just from eyeballing the general thread for GEM Id say theTSR average is near 680, you should be okay. Its just the MMI to prepare for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which I realise is purely anecdotal but meh, I can't help beyond that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Does Newcastle take your personal statement into account? I couldn't tell from the course page, and the only other course I'm applying to is Warwick, which don't, so I'm wondering if I could leave the statement and focus on interview prep.
I've got what feels like some bad news..
the current cut top decile score is 2190. I emailed Newcastle to see where that would put me in relation to previous years.

A101
2011 2810 (702 average)
2012 2810 (702 average)
2013 2900 (725 average)
2014 3070 (767 average)
2015 - 2910 (727 average)
2016 - 2880 (720 average)

Now all of these effectively correlate to the top decile scores for their year e.g. The top decile score of 2180 in the 2013 UKCAT relates to the 3070 cut off for 2014 entry.
Meaning if the UKCAT averages don't fall this year further than the interims released yesterday then the cut off is likely to be 780+ which is basically ridiculous.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Brio52
Does Newcastle take your personal statement into account? I couldn't tell from the course page, and the only other course I'm applying to is Warwick, which don't, so I'm wondering if I could leave the statement and focus on interview prep.

Newcastle don't use your personal statement prior to interview, the only time they will use it is to verify following interview maybe, just to check things. They mainly use UKCAT to determine who to interview.
Original post by GDHope

I'm pretty sure they offer extra funding and scholarships if you're below a certain income. They even provide services if you are a parent such as renting a pram etc. They're honestly really helpful, give them a call to find out for sure though, it's worth it!
Reply 15
Original post by Rosser1994
I've got what feels like some bad news..
the current cut top decile score is 2190. I emailed Newcastle to see where that would put me in relation to previous years.

A101
2011 2810 (702 average)
2012 2810 (702 average)
2013 2900 (725 average)
2014 3070 (767 average)
2015 - 2910 (727 average)
2016 - 2880 (720 average)

Now all of these effectively correlate to the top decile scores for their year e.g. The top decile score of 2180 in the 2013 UKCAT relates to the 3070 cut off for 2014 entry.
Meaning if the UKCAT averages don't fall this year further than the interims released yesterday then the cut off is likely to be 780+ which is basically ridiculous.

Any update on this? I got 687 so it's not looking good.

Do you know if the entry requirements for the A100 are the same as A101 for graduate (where they only consider your degree and not your A Levels)?
Original post by SB001

Do you know if the entry requirements for the A100 are the same as A101 for graduate (where they only consider your degree and not your A Levels)?

Considering they only take 17 for grad you've have a massively enhanced chance with undergrad. 687 I'd say is pretty solid for an undergrad score, but you're best off phoning/emailing them to find out what they accept a degree in lieu of.
Original post by Rosser1994
Considering they only take 17 for grad you've have a massively enhanced chance with undergrad. 687 I'd say is pretty solid for an undergrad score, but you're off phoning/emailing them to find out what they accept a degree in lieu of.

Who told you they only take 17

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rasillon
Who told you they only take 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am currently studying biomed at ncl so am very well versed in their application process; can confirm they take 25
Original post by SB001

Yeah theyre pretty much the same and theyll take as many grads onto undergrad as meet the criteria unlike some others that only take a certain number of grads onto undergrad. Only look at your degree; no looking at A levels or GCSE's at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending