The Student Room Group

2017 Investment Banking Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sreddy17
Yep looks like off cycle internship it is*

Yeah, I'm going to apply FT because I want IBD and just pray to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Yeah, I'm going to apply FT because I want IBD and just pray to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah fair enough best of luck , just believe haha
Where in the J.P. Morgan application can you upload a covering letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swellow5
Can someone explain to me what's going on and now the scheme works ? I'm very interested in investment banking and saw this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

research it*
research it*

Correct response, it's a plain disservice to those who have put in the time researching and learning about this career to not even use google for a few seconds to find info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I see a few of you are in the same boat as myself. I'm just going to applying for off-cycle internships. They must for final years (graduating) right? How else can you do it? Unless u have a year placement. But why would you spend only 3 months of it working?

Anyone who doesn't offer off-cycle internships I will apply for mix of FT / summer internships and hope for the best.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 86
Hey guys,

do you happen to know whether UBS also has a verbal test coming after the numerical test? Just curious whether I should prepare that or not...
Hello Everybody,

Does anybody have a link to practice tests for Morgan Stanley and Credit suisse? I believe that MS is SHL and CS Kenexa. Would really appreciate this!
Original post by alexjones1994
Hey,

I see a few of you are in the same boat as myself. I'm just going to applying for off-cycle internships. They must for final years (graduating) right? How else can you do it? Unless u have a year placement. But why would you spend only 3 months of it working?

Anyone who doesn't offer off-cycle internships I will apply for mix of FT / summer internships and hope for the best.

Good luck everyone!

Yeah in same boat as you - I'm doing a masters!*
Yeah in same boat as you - I'm doing a masters!*

I'm currently doing my masters also (start in sept) in Chemical Engineering. Good luck bud!
Original post by alexjones1994
I'm currently doing my masters also (start in sept) in Chemical Engineering. Good luck bud!

oh sweet cool where at? Let me know what places ur applying for to summer , off cycle etc and I'll do the same !
Hi,

I'm final year Business Studies at Cass, doing Ops summer internship at JPM now. We have a choice to change LOB and go direct to final interview, but need to give up Ops offer. Is that worth to do it?

Or should i just play safe, get an offer as back up and apply for other banks for FO. Is there any chances for Ops in CV to get into FO role

P/s: I'm Asian and need a visa sponsor to stay in the UK.

Thanks for any advices
Original post by prettyIBer?
Hi,

I'm final year Business Studies at Cass, doing Ops summer internship at JPM now. We have a choice to change LOB and go direct to final interview, but need to give up Ops offer. Is that worth to do it?

Or should i just play safe, get an offer as back up and apply for other banks for FO. Is there any chances for Ops in CV to get into FO role

P/s: I'm Asian and need a visa sponsor to stay in the UK.

Thanks for any advices

I'd give the JPM FO a shot if you go straight to final interview and that's what you want to do - seems like a great opportunity! Worth the risk in my opinion. You can always get another Ops job in the worst case scenario. Depends how impressed the bank was with your summer internship though. You need to be able to confidently say at interview that you smashed it and know your manager will back you up if they ask them.
Original post by Commercial Paper
I'd give the JPM FO a shot if you go straight to final interview and that's what you want to do - seems like a great opportunity! Worth the risk in my opinion. You can always get another Ops job in the worst case scenario. Depends how impressed the bank was with your summer internship though. You need to be able to confidently say at interview that you smashed it and know your manager will back you up if they ask them.

Thanks for your advices. How about the other part of my question? How likely I could get a grad job FO in lower tier bank? I know that they pretty much fill by interns
Original post by prettyIBer?
Thanks for your advices. How about the other part of my question? How likely I could get a grad job FO in lower tier bank? I know that they pretty much fill by interns

Not impossible but extremely difficult and very likely you would struggle to even get to a final round interview, let alone an offer. Doing another summer internship would be more achievable.
I am due to start my final year of my Undergraduate in October.

Should I apply for 2017 graduate schemes or for summer internships?

The only experience i have is a one year industrial placement (non banking), that was compulsory for my degree. I want to break into F/O at a BB. I'm sure there are others who are also in this situation too ( final years applying for summers).

Thanks
I got into all FO AC for summer internship that I applied last year but I didnt smash it. I'm surely will apply for some summer internships, but very much prefer to have a grad offer. Thank you very much anw.
Original post by stealth_writer
I am due to start my final year of my Undergraduate in October.

Should I apply for 2017 graduate schemes or for summer internships?

The only experience i have is a one year industrial placement (non banking), that was compulsory for my degree. I want to break into F/O at a BB. I'm sure there are others who are also in this situation too ( final years applying for summers).

Thanks

Full time grad FO at a BB without related previous experience is next to impossible, would suggest either applying for summer or apply for a less competitive division at a lower tier bank and then try to get to where you wanna get to from there later on
Reply 98
Got a mate applying for HSBC, do grads come in on GCB grades at HSBC? What grade is a graduate - GCB6?
Original post by M1011
Got a mate applying for HSBC, do grads come in on GCB grades at HSBC? What grade is a graduate - GCB6?

GCB6 sounds right, the i-banking teams start at gcb6 instead of gcb8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest