The Student Room Group

Divorcing your wife because she's infertile

I've noticed on TSR lots of guys tell girls it's ok to dump their boyfriends if they're not really feeling it and that they shouldn't feel guilty because sometimes relationships dry up so I was wondering about the other side to this.

Is it ok to divorce a woman if she turns out to be barren and you really want children of your own?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did she become infertile after marriage?

Because if it was before, she should have told me before we got married. Divorce for not telling me
Reply 2
If you really want children and that's important to you then it's fine to divorce her by all means.
Original post by UWS
Did she become infertile after marriage?

Because if it was before, she should have told me before we got married

It doesn't matter, but for the purpose of the question neither of you were aware prior to marriage.
Dude, some of the reasons given for divorce include "being terrible at DIY" "She had too many cats" "He didn't like Frozen"

Not being able to have children is a pretty legit one, in that context.

Not saying it's a good thing, but it's not exactly frivilous.
Original post by Trapz99
If you really want children and that's important to you then it's fine to divorce her by all means.

If you really want children and you really love her, then why not just adopt children? That's what I would do.
Original post by Prince of Punani
I've noticed on TSR lots of guys tell girls it's ok to dump their boyfriends if they're not really feeling it and that they shouldn't feel guilty because sometimes relationships dry up so I was wondering about the other side to this.

Is it ok to divorce a woman if she turns out to be barren and you really want children of your own?

I think most couples would investigate routes such as IVF and adoption before breaking up. However, you couldn't hold it against someone for breaking up with you if they were desperate to be a parent.
Of course it's fine. She can do the same to you if you're infertile as well.
Original post by mercuryman
If you really want children and you really love her, then why not just adopt children? That's what I would do.

Adoption isn't a thing, they're never your children.

Original post by Hamo2509
I think most couples would investigate routes such as IVF and adoption before breaking up. However, you couldn't hold it against someone for breaking up with you if they were desperate to be a parent.

You've tried all these avenues and her body just won't get pregnant.
Reply 9

Personally I just don't think it's the same as having your own children who are half you and half the person you love. Adoption is great but it's not something that I'd want to do. I would want my own children.

Poor comparison vecayse in one situation its just a short term relationship and the other you are married. Can you appreciate the difference?

If you are going to divorce your wife becayse she cnat have kids, then you cnat really love her in the first place Selfish choice imo as you shoudl take your partner as you find them. If they become ill do you divorce them for that as well?

Some couples might split over it, but pretty lame imo.
Adoption isn't a thing, they're never your children.

Good point, but It depends on how many of my feelings she has. I wouldn't divorce her just for being barren, that's really stupid, no offence.
Original post by Trapz99
Personally I just don't think it's the same as having your own children who are half you and half the person you love. Adoption is great but it's not something that I'd want to do. I would want my own children.

Of course if you don't love her for her character and all you want is her children then by all means divorce her.
Good point, but It depends on how many of my feelings she has. I wouldn't divorce her just for being barren, that's really stupid, no offence.

Not really. Some people really want their own children and find that more important than their partner. Personally, having children is one of my biggest priorities by far.
Original post by 999tigger
Poor comparison vecayse in one situation its just a short term relationship and the other you are married. Can you appreciate the difference?

No fault divorce exists, it's all pretty easy.

If you are going to divorce your wife becayse she cnat have kids, then you cnat really love her in the first place Selfish choice imo as you shoudl take your partner as you find them. If they become ill do you divorce them for that as well?

I agree it's selfish and yes same again, if she's ill or gets fat same thing right. Dump a *****.
Of course if you don't love her for her character and all you want is her children then by all means divorce her.

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Why divorce her? Just exorcise her so she becomes fertile again. Otherwise, sacrifice her to satan. So much easier than all the paperwork.
Original post by kangsterf
Not really. Some people really want their own children and find that more important than their partner. Personally, having children is one of my biggest priorities by far.

That's a gamble though. I know people who have left their partner because they didn't want children, thinking they'd find someone else who did and are now too old to have children of their own.

Some couples might split over it, but pretty lame imo.

No because them being ill doesn't really affect you as much as not being able to achieve what for most people is one of their biggest aims in life- having children and continuing their bloodline. I don't want my family bloodline to end with me.
Original post by Hamo2509
That's a gamble though. I know people who have left their partner because they didn't want children, thinking they'd find someone else who did and are now too old to have children of their own.

Even men in their 70's can produce enough sperm to make a baby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending