The Student Room Group

Divorcing your wife because she's infertile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prince of Punani
Even men in their 70's can produce enough sperm to make a baby.

Still, is it fair to have a child so late in life?
Original post by Hamo2509
Still, is it fair to have a child so late in life?

Is this thread about what's fair?
If you literally just married her because you wanted children then divorce her i suppose.

But to me marriage is not for kids, its about being committed to someone whom you love, and I would never divorce anyone if I found out they were infertile. I married them because I love them and wouldnt just get rid because they arent fertile, they cant exactly help that fact (most of the time).

Adoption is a great gift for people to give, so I would go down this route rather than penalise my partner, they probably already feel upset about it because if your trying for children or talk about it they obviously want kids of their own, imagine how it must feel to not be able to have that and then have your partner leave you for it to.
Original post by kangsterf
Not really. Some people really want their own children and find that more important than their partner. Personally, having children is one of my biggest priorities by far.

Ok good luck to you if you're gonna marry someone and tell her the night before that you're only doing it for her kids.
No fault divorce exists, it's all pretty easy.

I agree it's selfish and yes same again, if she's ill or gets fat same thing right. Dump a *****.

Think you will find divorcing someone in real life is a bit different from breaking up with someone at school or uni.

Dump a what?

Btw its fibne if you are ok with being dumped for the same reasons, then youd deserve each other.
Original post by Natalierm2707
If you literally just married her because you wanted children then divorce her i suppose.

But to me marriage is not for kids, its about being committed to someone whom you love, and I would never divorce anyone if I found out they were infertile. I married them because I love them and wouldnt just get rid because they arent fertile, they cant exactly help that fact (most of the time).

Adoption is a great gift for people to give, so I would go down this route rather than penalise my partner, they probably already feel upset about it because if your trying for children or talk about it they obviously want kids of their own, imagine how it must feel to not be able to have that and then have your partner leave you for it to.

Finally some sense here.
Original post by 999tigger
Think you will find divorcing someone in real life is a bit different from breaking up with someone at school or uni.

Dump a what?

Btw its fibne if you are ok with being dumped for the same reasons, then youd deserve each other.

If you don't marry and just cohabit you can kick her out of the house provided it's legally yours.

A female dog.
Original post by Trapz99
No because them being ill doesn't really affect you as much as not being able to achieve what for most people is one of their biggest aims in life- having children and continuing their bloodline. I don't want my family bloodline to end with me.

Its cool as long as youd be fine with having the same done to you.
There are alternatives.

Lol@bloodline.
If you don't marry and just cohabit you can kick her out of the house provided it's legally yours.

A female dog.

Dont you think thats a bit disrespectful to call a woman a dog? Is that how you view them?

It's everybody for themselves.
It's everybody for themselves.

Awesome commited relationship there. As long as you are fine with it and you both know that , then you are set.
Original post by Trapz99
No because them being ill doesn't really affect you as much as not being able to achieve what for most people is one of their biggest aims in life- having children and continuing their bloodline. I don't want my family bloodline to end with me.

LOOOOL @ 'Family bloodline' this isn't the 14th century mate. Why do people still care about this.
Awesome commited relationship there. As long as you are fine with it and you both know that , then you are set.

People lose their jobs, get cancer and get dumped, it's all the same.

Original post by mercuryman
LOOOOL @ 'Family bloodline' this isn't the 14th century mate. Why do people still care about this.

I do.
Finally some sense here.

Thanks, kinda a bit worried considering some of the replies on this thread... where are some peoples morals at?
This is an issue close to my heart. I've told my husband that he could leave and I won't fight it if it comes right down to can't conceive even after all the avenues have been explored. He told me that we could adopt.

It's a personal matter to be perfectly honest. If a couple divorce because of it then I'm pretty sure it wasn't taken lightly and really infertility is one of the hardest things in life so I feel that I can't judge anyone for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are alternatives.

Lol@bloodline.

I would be fine with that, yes. Personally I do think it's important, especially as my parents' only child, to continue my family name and bloodline. I don't want to be a dead end.
Then what's the point of getting married in the first place?

It's better not to get married that way your financial assets are kept safe if your wife decides to divorce you and if you decide to divorce her you don't have to waste money on her when you get a new woman in.

People do care about this, maybe the social justice warriors on tsr don't but the majority of people would want to have children and continue their family.
It's better not to get married that way your financial assets are kept safe if your wife decides to divorce you and if you decide to divorce her you don't have to waste money on her when you get a new woman in.

Assuming she isn't your wife then I agree with all the statements you've made on this thread. Marriage is a really serious thing that most people don't understand.
Assuming she isn't your wife then I agree with all the statements you've made on this thread.

so keep her as your long term girlfriend so it's less hassle to cut her off if she becomes problematic

Quick Reply

Latest