The Student Room Group

How do buses work in London?

I'm going to a summer school at KCL in two weeks time. I'm planning on getting a bus from Victoria coach station to where I'm going. Do I pay the fare on the bus or do i need to get a special ticket beforehand??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Touch your Oyster card on the reader or you can purchase a ticket from the bus driver
You can't pay your fare in cash anymore, you have use an oyster card, travel card, or a contactles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michael_98
You can't pay your fare in cash anymore, you have use an oyster card, travel card, or a contactles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right. My card isn't contactless, and I don't think it'd be worth getting an oyster card for 2 journeys? How do the travel cards work?
You can use your contactless credit card or an oyster card that needs topping up
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Oh right. My card isn't contactless, and I don't think it'd be worth getting an oyster card for 2 journeys? How do the travel cards work?

You won't need to take a bus. Just walk to the tube station and get the District line to Temple. Tube fares are much easier to pay for by cash
Reply 6
I'm going to a summer school at KCL in two weeks time. I'm planning on getting a bus from Victoria coach station to where I'm going. Do I pay the fare on the bus or do i need to get a special ticket beforehand??

Buses are now cashless. You can get an Oyster Card and top up with credit for use on public transport, alternatively contactless payments are accepted including Apple Pay.
Original post by JTran38
Buses are now cashless. You can get an Oyster Card and top up with credit for use on public transport, alternatively contactless payments are accepted including Apple Pay.

Can I get an oyster card on the day of the travel from a local shop or something, or is it something you need to order in advance?
Can I get an oyster card on the day of the travel from a local shop or something, or is it something you need to order in advance?

Go to TFL's website. I would do it quickly because it might take a week for it to arrive.
Reply 9

Yeah you can get them from shops at or near tube stations.
Original post by shawn_o1
You won't need to take a bus. Just walk to the tube station and get the District line to Temple. Tube fares are much easier to pay for by cash

I'm going from London Victoria to Stamford street, and according to google maps, taking the bus 211 is easiest and quickest route
Original post by BasicMistake
Go to TFL's website. I would do it quickly because it might take a week for it to arrive.

Original post by Trapz99

Confused
You can buy paper tickets from machines and newsagents but they're not very good value for money compared with contactless debit and oyster cards.
Original post by Trapz99

I wasn't aware you could get Oyster cards from a shop? Surely you need to register your details with TFL first right?

Are you thinking of travelcards?

Confused
Confused

You can get them straight away at tube stations.
Reply 15
1] Find the right bus
2] Get on
3] Touch your Oyster card/contactless card on the reader
4] Try your best not to make awkward eye contact
5] Hold your nose
6] Ring the bell before your stop
7] Get off
I wasn't aware you could get Oyster cards from a shop? Surely you need to register your details with TFL first right?

There are top-up Oyster cards as well which have the adult price which you top up at the shop. The oyster zip cards (the ones for teenagers) you need to order from the Internet.
Reply 17

Almost all of the corner shops sell Oystercards or atleast let you top up.
Reply 18

You can get it from a local Oyster Card shop but I think it's best to order one in advance just in case. :smile:
Original post by Trapz99
There are top-up Oyster cards as well which have the adult price which you top up at the shop. The oyster zip cards (the ones for teenagers) you need to order from the Internet.

So I could go to a shop and pay for an Oyster card with lets £10 topped up and get it straight away?

Also roughly how much are day travel cards? And how much is one bus journey

Quick Reply

Latest