The Student Room Group

BCU social work degree

Hello all, I have been offered and accepted a place at BCU (birmingham city university) starting September 2016.

I'm almost 26 and have two children under 5. I will be driving from leamington spa everyday.

I'm nervous. And very anxious at what to expect. Does anyone have any advice and insight into how things work at the uni. Also bursaries, parking etc. And how many days do we attend the uni it's self. .

I left school with no qualification and this year I have complete an access course in social science. And my level 2 maths and English. On my access course I was bullied and called names as I am larger than most people. I'm worried this will happen again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

I am sorry that you was bullied on your access course.

Did you report the students to your tutor?
If this would of happened at my college they would of immediately been thrown of the course. They take no ****!

I am not sure about what to answer about your post, I just couldnt beleave that you were bullied.

I just finished a pre-access and i recieve my results at the end of August. I am hoping that I have gained the results to move forward on to the access course this September.

I am hoping to study Access to social science humanities, history or Access to sociol work but still undecided which course to except.

Which course Access course did you study and did you enjoy it?
What grades to you manage to get?

Please do not be put off with university. I am pretty sure you will not have the same experiance as you did on your access course.

Congrats to you for sticking it out and not letting those sad, pathletic human beings get to you.

Good luck on your uni course!

Craig
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Craig, I've only just seen your reply. For some reason I wasn't notified you had Commented. No they were not thrown off the course and I was forced to continue to study with the same people. I'm 25 so it's not something you expect to have to experience. I was bullied at school and ended up with no qualifications due to truancy. I'm so scared for uni now. I don't really fit in image wise because I'm fat so to say. I act like I don't care but I do. It was tbe worst 9 months of my life. No apology no nothing from the college.

I revived merits and distinctions in assigments at level 3
And the level 2 assignments are capped at a pass. I recieved 54 level 3 credits and 6 level 2 credits.

I took time off in January and started taking a lot of days off. I recieved higher grades working from home than I did in college. Luckily I have birmingham city university's entry requirements and my dealings with them so far have been very pleasent. I've come so far and I fear I'll be bullied again. It's so embarrassing to admit this at my age especially as I have two children under 4 so I don't like being vulnerable.

I did social science and humanities course. This gives me access to the social work degree.

Where are you from?

Thanks for your kind words. Sometimes people don't realise how badly their words effect people. Xx
Reply 3
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep the work itself was actually challenging but very interesting to learn. Especially sociology and psychology where you learn of history etc.

It's not hard once you know a little. I find myself quoting people lol and they have no idea what I am on about. I did gain a lot from the course deffinately.

Fingers crossed you get on to the access course and good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll do really well x
Original post by chantellem
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep the work itself was actually challenging but very interesting to learn. Especially sociology and psychology where you learn of history etc.

It's not hard once you know a little. I find myself quoting people lol and they have no idea what I am on about. I did gain a lot from the course deffinately.

Fingers crossed you get on to the access course and good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll do really well x

Hey !

I am pretty sure you will have a smoother ride at university. People are so ignorant in society today. Just ignore thier volatile words and inform the university if anything happens to you again; but I am confident you will be fine.

Congrats you did awesome on the access course dispite what happened to you.

I am from Nottingham. Ive been excepted to study access to social work and access to social science, humanities. But still undecided which course to study.

If all goes well for me and I manage to stick with the access course, il be applying for Birmingham university.

How did you find the social work interview?
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I've not had any experience with the access to social work. And that wasn't an option here. I studied in coventry.

I applied to 5 uni's and I recieved 5 offers.

BCU stood out to me because the way they speak to you and how helpful they are.

Hmmm the interview process was actually quite pleasent. And no where near as bad as I imagined.

There are three stages for BCU.

Stage 1. Writing test. Your given a paragraph regarding a service user and you need to use that to wrote on average 500 words in what you would recommend and actions you would take along with any other agencies you would contact regarding the individual in the case.

Once you've done that you will be asked to go away and come back 15 minutes later. Once they've read your test you will be told to go home or told you through to stage two.

Stage two. Is a group discussion on certain things. Ours was on goverment cuts to social care and how this in our opinion effects society etc. Same again if you pass you go through to stage three or your sent home.

Stage 3. Is a face to face interview with a panel of 3 people. Your asked loads of questions. Why you want to be a social worker. What you have to offer. Who the awarding body is. Your advantages. Your disadvantages. Etc.

It sounds long and stressful but actually it was okay and I recieved my offer the next day. I met one of the lecturer's on the day and knew he was someone that I could learn from and knew he would be helpful. I highly recommend researching the universities etc.

I'm so excited. Yet so anxious about other people's perception of me.

Well if you apply to BCU I may meet you in the future. Hopefully I can advise you as much as I can x
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I've not had any experience with the access to social work. And that wasn't an option here. I studied in coventry.

Hmmm the interview process was actually quite pleasent. And no where near as bad as I imagined.

Stage 1. Writing test. Your given a paragraph regarding a service user and you need to use that to wrote on average 500 words in what you would recommend and actions you would take along with any other agencies you would contact regarding the individual in the case.

Once you've done that you will be asked to go away and come back 15 minutes later. Once they've read your test you will be told to go home or told you through to stage two.

Stage two. Is a group discussion on certain things. Ours was on goverment cuts to social care and how this in our opinion effects society etc. Same again if you pass you go through to stage three or your sent home.

Stage 3. Is a face to face interview with a panel of 3 people. Your asked loads of questions. Why you want to be a social worker. What you have to offer. Who the awarding body is. Your advantages. Your disadvantages. Etc.

It sounds long and stressful but actually it was okay and I recieved my offer the next day. I met one of the lecturer's on the day and knew he was someone that I could learn from and knew he would be helpful. I highly recommend researching the universities etc.

Well if you apply to BCU I may m

I would be a nervous wreck. I am absolutely rubbish under pressure.

How did you answer the questions that they threw at you?

I think you will be absolutely fine and no one is gonna be mean to you this time round. Everything will brilliant!

You should give your self some credit, applied to 5 universitys and 5 offers thats an unbelievable achievement, many peopl would of gave up.

I am ridiculously nervous for my access course. That nervous I may leave it till next year!
[QUOTE="Beardsley;66798374" Craig="Craig"]
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you apply to BCU I may m

I would be a nervous wreck. I am absolutely rubbish under pressure.

How did you answer the questions that they threw at you?

I think you will be absolutely fine and no one is gonna be mean to you this time round. Everything will brilliant!

You should give your self some credit, applied to 5 universitys and 5 offers thats an unbelievable achievement, many peopl would of gave up.

I am ridiculously nervous for my access course. That nervous I may leave it till next year!

I replyed half way down on your last message for some reason hahahah
Reply 8
Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously don't be nervous! The access really is research. Like YouTube videos and Web pages. It's hard for the first few weeks and then you get into the flow of it. Be prepared to study at home. My children are 3 and 4 so it was a challenge but actually aside from the bullying it was a rewarding experience. I missed out on the end of year party celebrations and a trip to London because of them people.

The key to uni interviews is talk! Get involved in the discussion. Explain why you want to be a social worker I said that my life experience and my own disadvantages have enabled me to understand and genuinely know how individuals feel when they are at their most vulnerable. I don't know everything and that's why I'm hear to learn but I do have a genuine understanding of how people feel and how they may react. Etc. I literally went with it. I looked up online different protection orders involving vulnerable adults and children and I suggested in my written test that I would conduct a risk assessment etc on the individual and their associates.

Be yourself their not expecting you to know it all else you wouldn't be doing a course to start with but you must talk. Yes and no answers are not acceptable in that line of work you need to be able to take the lead and participate with multiple agencies.

The access course will give you such knowledge when the time comes for your interview you'll understand more and won't be as nervous as you are now. Honestly don't believe what you read on how daunting it is because you can over think it and make yourself anxious over nothing. You'll do great.

The access course is okay too. You'll be fine. It's all about your choice of words and explanations more than anything on your assignments xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously don't be nervous! The access really is research. Like YouTube videos and Web pages. It's hard for the first few weeks and then you get into the flow of it. Be prepared to study at home. My children are 3 and 4 so it was a challenge but actually aside from the bullying it was a rewarding experience. I missed out on the end of year party celebrations and a trip to London because of them people.

The key to uni interviews is talk! Get involved in the discussion. Explain why you want to be a social worker I said that my life experience and my own disadvantages have enabled me to understand and genuinely know how individuals feel when they are at their most vulnerable. I don't know everything and that's why I'm hear to learn but I do have a genuine understanding of how people feel and how they may react. Etc. I literally went with it. I looked up online different protection orders involving vulnerable adults and children and I suggested in my written test that I would conduct a risk assessment etc on the individual and their associates.

Be yourself their not expecting you to know it all else you wouldn't be doing a course to start with but you must talk. Yes and no answers are not acceptable in that line of work you need to be able to take the lead and participate with multiple agencies.

The access course will give you such knowledge when the time comes for your interview you'll understand more and won't be as nervous as you are now. Honestly don't believe what you read on how daunting it is because you can over think it and make yourself anxious over nothing. You'll do great.

The access course is okay too. You'll be fine. It's all about your choice of words and explanations more than anything on your assignments xx

Thank you for you words of wizdom,
You have been much helpful to me!

Maybe you could proof read one of my assignments. Haha

Just joking, you will be mega busy!

I sincerely hope everything works out for you!
Reply 10
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Same to you!.

Hey I'm always happy to help. I'm never to busy to help someone when I can haha

Take care xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Same to you!.

Hey I'm always happy to help. I'm never to busy to help someone when I can haha

Take care xx

Thank you

Take care
Original post by Craig Beardsley
Thank you

Take care

Hey its me again!

Did you have many presentations on your access course?
Reply 13
Yes. Deffinately did. Along with group work. So basically instead of doing one assignment on your own you would let's say gave a group of 3 people and each of you had to do one of the assigments criteria. Group work is the worst because you end up doing other people's work if they are not as dedicated. If they don't finish you can't get graded until they do.
Presentations I did were.

Poster in law.
Psychology role play. One playing the patient one playing the doctor and one playing the psychologist.
Sociology power point presentation
All in all I had around 6 presentations xx
Yes. Deffinately did. Along with group work. So basically instead of doing one assignment on your own you would let's say gave a group of 3 people and each of you had to do one of the assigments criteria. Group work is the worst because you end up doing other people's work if they are not as dedicated. If they don't finish you can't get graded until they do.

Poster in law.
Psychology role play. One playing the patient one playing the doctor and one playing the psychologist.

Bloody hell!

Now i am nervous!

Thanks for replying!

Poster in law.

How did you find doing them?
Reply 16
The ones I did alone were great. At distinction which is the highest grade on the access. The ones I did in a group I got merits. But I blame part of that on how disfunctional the course was the college was an awful place to study with no student support. And a majority of the course was "independent learning" in other words not enough tutors so use the Internet to learn. It really was a joke. But if you go somewhere and it's ran adequately then you'll be absolutely fine x
The ones I did alone were great. At distinction which is the highest grade on the access. The ones I did in a group I got merits. But I blame part of that on how disfunctional the course was the college was an awful place to study with no student support. And a majority of the course was "independent learning" in other words not enough tutors so use the Internet to learn. It really was a joke. But if you go somewhere and it's ran adequately then you'll be absolutely fine x

Thank you

You have been most helpful

I am just so nervous!
Reply 18
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be!! You'll be absolutely fine xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be!! You'll be absolutely fine xx

Thanks!

Keep in touch. I would like to know how you your journey continues going into university.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending