The Student Room Group

My chances of a career in Law?

Hi guys

I currently study Philosophy and Politics at Leeds University and I'm confident I'll achieve a 2:1. I'm going into my second year at the moment after attaining a 2:1 in my first year. This summer I'm working in South Africa for 4 weeks in a law office for human rights to beef up my CV. I also worked in a financial regulations office for the past 2 weeks writing articles on regulations for derivatives trading as well as doing legal contract work for Ede and Ravenscroft. I've also joined groups such as Aspiring Solicitors and the Law society at university.

The only concern I have is my past educational performance. Admittedly I didn't really bother getting into gear until A level and even after at university. At GCSE I achieved 2A*S 4B's and 4C's (one of the C's was maths) which for a public school student wasn't good by any means. However I achieved ABB at A level in Theology, History and Business Studies.

Firstly, do I stand a realistic chance of becoming a solicitor given my mediocre educational performance? And secondly, for the firms that don't state any A level requirements, does this mean they take into account factors such as work experience more etc and how many of these firms would review my application seriously?

After looking at many of the law firms A level requirements on chambers student (http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria) I've noticed most firms want AAB. However a significant number require ABB also. Though most don't specify educational requirements other than wanting a 2:1.
I will be looking for more work experience constantly to make up for these faults.

Sorry for this being so long winded!

Many thanks

Ben
Its very competitive as you know. make sure you target the right level of firm. the work experience sounds fine although you need to supplement it with a few srints in a solicitors office. Just make sure you put in enoigh applications and you will find your level. Different type of competition if you are applying for small regional or high street v City, West End or MC, so do your research.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Its very competitive as you know. make sure you target the right level of firm. the work experience sounds fine although you need to supplement it with a few srints in a solicitors office. Just make sure you put in enoigh applications and you will find your level. Different type of competition if you are applying for small regional or high street v City, West End or MC, so do your research.

Thanks for the reply.

What do you think my chances are of landing a training contract in a London law firm?
have faith in yourself. after getting the first job its all about that experience
Original post by Nozick11
Thanks for the reply.

What do you think my chances are of landing a training contract in a London law firm?

You dont have anytjing to lose. You will get a TC if you are determined enough.
Which firm and when is a different matter. Its competitive. How much better do you think you and your CV will be?
Reply 5
You would be good enough for a city law firm, just not perhaps the MC firms with ABB at A level. Might want to find out how strict some firms are with AAB/ABB and whether excellent extra curricular like you have would be taken into consideration to still allow you to apply by emailing graduate recruitment of firms you are interested in. As you tend to go more regional and national, firms seem to be less stringent on a particular set of A level grades
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I wouldn't worry about your GCSE results because they won't care about them. A levels and your university degree is what they will look at. Since the uni you go to is pretty good and you have a substancial amount of work experience which is vital for success in law, i think you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending