The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi there,
I have some quick questions. I am an international student planning to apply to Cambridge for the coming October. I've been living abroad for last 8-9 years but do I need any english proficiency test, such as TOEFL/IELTS?
This summer I took 5 AS courses, 3 of which were CIE Bio, Phy, Chem, and the two others were AQA maths and further maths. CIE AS results will be out in 4 days, but I am quite concerned. Although I was predicted for 5 A's for AS, I ruined one of my chem paper, which surely will cut off lots of marks. I was hoping for at least 90+ UMS for my chem, but I think my UMS will be somewhere in between 85 to 90 - surely not 90+.
I want to study chemical engineering at university and if my AS chem result happens to be lower than other subjects, is this going to put me in any disadvantageous position?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
It's certainly worth going for a remark if you are close. The college will honour your place if you meet the conditions by 31 August so go for a priority remark. If your remark comes in after 31 August the college might offer you a place this year or it might offer you a deferred place.

Thank you
Thanks for your question. If you don't have your IELTS until 26th August then yes you might be at a slight disadvantage in the Summer Pool, were you to be there. A candidate who misses a A*AAA offer by getting 3 A*s and a B is unlikely not to get a place either in their original college or a new one through the Summer Pool. I'm afraid that the only way to have avoided this slight disadvantage is to have taken the IELTS exam earlier. The Summer Pool has to get done quickly because of the issue of Insurance offers.
Original post by jbkim213
Hi there,
I have some quick questions. I am an international student planning to apply to Cambridge for the coming October. I've been living abroad for last 8-9 years but do I need any english proficiency test, such as TOEFL/IELTS?
This summer I took 5 AS courses, 3 of which were CIE Bio, Phy, Chem, and the two others were AQA maths and further maths. CIE AS results will be out in 4 days, but I am quite concerned. Although I was predicted for 5 A's for AS, I ruined one of my chem paper, which surely will cut off lots of marks. I was hoping for at least 90+ UMS for my chem, but I think my UMS will be somewhere in between 85 to 90 - surely not 90+.
I want to study chemical engineering at university and if my AS chem result happens to be lower than other subjects, is this going to put me in any disadvantageous position?
Thanks in advance.

Hello and thanks for your questions. If you were asked for an English Language test it would be IELTS and we assess the need for that at interview and other parts of the application to see if you cover all the necessary elements (reading, writing, listening and speaking) sufficiently. Students are often gien one, not because we are worried about their English abilities but because we haven't been able to cover all the elements and have to prove to the UKBA that we have done should we be audited.

Obviously doing less well than you would have liked in Chemistry will be disadvantageous compared with had you scoed as well as you had hoped but one relatively poor result is not going to be something that stops your application in its tracks. Providing that you have done well in your other exams and perform well in other elements of the application, then you will still be competitive. Very few applicants are strong in absolutely everything.
From your experience Which STEP paper correlates best with Trispos performance(maths) ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello and thank you for your question. I think it is fair to say that we treat predictions with caution. Predictions are very often wrong and rarely on the upside. We tend to rely more on things that have happpened (in order of occurrance GCSEs, AS, Assessments, interviews etc.) rather than things that might happen. it doesn;t mean that we won't look at them but we treat them with caution.

Interesting - thank you for your reply.
So how much more competitive would an applicant be with an achieved score of 3/4A*s (A level) or 45 points (IB) etc?
Hello. Taking a Gap Year is not a problem and many students at Cambridge have done so. It's good that you will be doing some work related to the subject you wish to study. Some colleges are cautious about Maths students taking gap years but not all colleges gel this way & outside of Maths it is not a concern.

Follow up question! Since English is my second language, I'll have to take the TOEFL to apply to the American universities I'm applying to. I've seen on the Cambridge site that the IELTS is mentioned quite a bit when it comes to English language requirements. Would it disadvantage me if I took the TOEFL instead of the IELTS?
Hi there,
Just wondering for the condition of the Summer Pool. Is it true that the offer holders are automatically placed in summer pool once they meet the standard condition?(i.e A*AA for Arts and A*A*A for Science subjects ) But once they did not meet the typical condition, the pool is done discretionary..?

Also, once placed in the pool, someone who achieved A*A*AA when the offer was A*A*A*A(ie missed offer) has a higher position than the person who obtained A*AB when the condition was A*AA(missed offer), especially for Art subjects? If not, does this suggest that although an applicant achieved much higher grades, there is a chance that the other applicant who obtained much lower grades can be accepted for the same course?

Many thanks
Original post by Duke Glacia
From your experience Which STEP paper correlates best with Trispos performance(maths) ?

STEP III correlates marginally better than STEP II for Maths, both correlate better than any other indicators for any other subjects.
Original post by francais123
Interesting - thank you for your reply.
So how much more competitive would an applicant be with an achieved score of 3/4A*s (A level) or 45 points (IB) etc?

Both would be highly competitive. 3 A*s achieved is a compulsory pool if the candidate is not taken by their original college. For the IB it's 42 points with 776 at HL, which gives a hint of how strong 45 points is.

About 48% of people who go on to achieve 3 or more A*s are admitted to Cambridge, roughly twice the overall applicant rate, and 61% of offers go to people who get this profile. If one already has achieved this level then that's a good sign.
Original post by Hjortlund
Follow up question! Since English is my second language, I'll have to take the TOEFL to apply to the American universities I'm applying to. I've seen on the Cambridge site that the IELTS is mentioned quite a bit when it comes to English language requirements. Would it disadvantage me if I took the TOEFL instead of the IELTS?

If you were asked to take an English language proficiency test, it would be IELTS. We don't normally accept TOEFL.
Original post by masteroflendic
Hi there,
Just wondering for the condition of the Summer Pool. Is it true that the offer holders are automatically placed in summer pool once they meet the standard condition?(i.e A*AA for Arts and A*A*A for Science subjects ) But once they did not meet the typical condition, the pool is done discretionary..?

Also, once placed in the pool, someone who achieved A*A*AA when the offer was A*A*A*A(ie missed offer) has a higher position than the person who obtained A*AB when the condition was A*AA(missed offer), especially for Art subjects? If not, does this suggest that although an applicant achieved much higher grades, there is a chance that the other applicant who obtained much lower grades can be accepted for the same course?

Many thanks

Yes, if you meet the standard offer for A Level then you will be placed in the Summer Pool if you have missed the conditions of a higher offer imposed by the college. The only exception is Maths where there isn't compulsory pooling.

There are no positions in the Summer Pool, files are ordered alphabetically by subject and anyone there has the chance of an offer. It's fair to say that someone who has achieved or exceeded the standard offer has a better chance of acceptance than someone who has missed it.
Hello and thanks for your questions. Yes, we will still be looking at UMS & PUM data very closely for students taking A levels in Wales & Northern Ireland or with CIE. There's no reason for us to stop using metrics that have been useful in the past just because they have been discontinued in England.

The vast majority of interviews will take place between 5 and 14 December so your CIE exams should be over by then. You can always tell your college dates you can't do and they will try to work around those.

Thank you so much for the reply - that clarified a lot for me! )Also, I read from somewhere else on this forum (perhaps another AT thread by Peterhouse??) that PUMS are treated differently to UMS since it is harder to gain top marks, and that a conversion factor had been created for this purpose. How does this conversion factor work?? Thank you once again for your help!
Original post by sleepylemonlemon
Thank you so much for the reply - that clarified a lot for me! )Also, I read from somewhere else on this forum (perhaps another AT thread by Peterhouse??) that PUMS are treated differently to UMS since it is harder to gain top marks, and that a conversion factor had been created for this purpose. How does this conversion factor work?? Thank you once again for your help!

Glad to have been of help. We do look slightly differently at PUMS, as we know that there is a smaller distribution of students at the very top end compared with UMS. I am not aware of any official conversion factor, in my experience it's merely something that has been raised as worthy of consideration.
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions!

I have two pressing ones:

1. For English in particular, do you frown upon people reading books solely for the application process, and so they can put it on their PS for the interview and can you see through someone who’s e.g. literally just read a play by Shakespeare because that’s what you’re looking for even if they do have particularly substantial thoughts on it? (Would we also be at a better advantage if we refrain from mentioning books that we would be reading at Cambridge or does that not matter?)

2. I want to apply for English, but I also really love Latin. Is there any way I can have the privilege to keep learning just my Latin, even if it is not officially recognised, with the Classics department or are we not allowed to do that?

I hope my questions were clear. Thank you very much !
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by unknowntsr
Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions!

I have two pressing ones:

1. For English in particular, do you frown upon people reading books solely for the application process, and so they can put it on their PS for the interview and can you see through someone who’s e.g. literally just read a play by Shakespeare because that’s what you’re looking for?

2. I want to apply for English, but I also really love Latin. Is there any way I can have the privilege to keep learning just my Latin, even if it is not officially recognised, with the Classics department or are we not allowed to do that?

I hope my questions were clear. Thank you very much !

Hello and thanks for your questions.

1) Well, I suppose that depends. If you love reading but chose to read those certain books because you thought that they would be helpful then I don't think that's a problem, although I'm not sure that English fellows would say that there are certain books you *have* to have read before applying. People's interest in literature is very diverse and should be so.

If, on the other hand, you read the books only because you wanted to get into Cambridge and not because you enjoyed reading for its own sake, then, even if you were successful, you would be unlikely to enjoy your time doing English.

At the interviews, we try to discern a candidate's enthusiasm for the subject as well as their aptitude for it. I'd be interested to know why a candidate chose to read a particular book or play but, perhaps more than that, I'd want to know how they had understood it.

2) You can attend lectures in Classics if you wish (you can attend lectures in any subject) but I don't think that there are any 'shared' papers between Classics and English, though I'm happy to be corrected on this. You can continue your Latin in the university language centre and would, of course, be able to discuss the impact of classical texts on English literature, both within the papers of the course and in any dissertations that you did.
Hello and thanks for your questions.

1) Well, I suppose that depends. If you love reading but chose to read those certain books because you thought that they would be helpful then I don't think that's a problem, although I'm not sure that English fellows would say that there are certain books you *have* to have read before applying. People's interest in literature is very diverse and should be so.

If, on the other hand, you read the books only because you wanted to get into Cambridge and not because you enjoyed reading for its own sake, then, even if you were successful, you would be unlikely to enjoy your time doing English.

At the interviews, we try to discern a candidate's enthusiasm for the subject as well as their aptitude for it. I'd be interested to know why a candidate chose to read a particular book or play but, perhaps more than that, I'd want to know how they had understood it.

2) You can attend lectures in Classics if you wish (you can attend lectures in any subject) but I don't think that there are any 'shared' papers between Classics and English, though I'm happy to be corrected on this. You can continue your Latin in the university language centre and would, of course, be able to discuss the impact of classical texts on English literature, both within the papers of the course and in any dissertations that you did.

Thank you for your quick response, and clarifying it for me ! I’m just not sure whether to mention the Latin thing on my PS, or keep it strictly English!
Original post by unknowntsr
Thank you for your quick response, and clarifying it for me ! I’m just not sure whether to mention the Latin thing on my PS, or keep it strictly English!

There's nothing wrong in mentioning Latin in your PS, especially if it's something you enjoy. It's always good to discuss your other subjects at A Level in your PS especially if you can link them to your chosen subject as university, which won;t be hard to do in this case. Best of luck.
Reply 78
Thanks for your question. If you don't have your IELTS until 26th August then yes you might be at a slight disadvantage in the Summer Pool, were you to be there. A candidate who misses a A*AAA offer by getting 3 A*s and a B is unlikely not to get a place either in their original college or a new one through the Summer Pool. I'm afraid that the only way to have avoided this slight disadvantage is to have taken the IELTS exam earlier. The Summer Pool has to get done quickly because of the issue of Insurance offers.

Thank you so much for your reply. Have you personally ever seen someone with pending results get fished from the summer pool? If a college sends someone to the pool and they arent taken, does the original college have the choice of fishing them back? Also if my IELTS results are very good, do you think I could be given a deferred place? Lastly, will I be told of the university's decision on the 19th or when I get my results (i.e 26th)?
Hi! I'm an international applicant considering the prospect of applying to Cambridge for BA History. I am set to start a BSc in International Relations at the LSE but I realised that my core passion lies in history (and the historical aspect of IR). I heard that applying to Cambridge while at another university is very rare - that being said, would you recommend that I take a gap year or should I simply apply? Thank you so much!

Latest

Trending

Trending