The Student Room Group

Should I do both MAT and STEP?

Question in the title.
Reply 1
You could do as I believe imperial gives places based on MAT, but others base giving out places on STEP. Depends where you want to apply really.
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
You could do as I believe imperial gives places based on MAT, but others base giving out places on STEP. Depends where you want to apply really.

Oxbridge, imperial, lse , warwick, ucl
Reply 3
Original post by B_9710

I finished maths a level year 11, further maths year 12 and now i'm thinking of dropping either econ or computing so I can do another math exam like Step.... I'm studying for MAT currently but was thinking if I should do STEP too
Reply 4
Original post by Major-fury
I finished maths a level year 11, further maths year 12 and now i'm thinking of dropping either econ or computing so I can do another math exam like Step.... I'm studying for MAT currently but was thinking if I should do STEP too

You could give STEP a go. It's the only thing that can help prepare you for a maths degree (?) at Oxford.
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
You could give STEP a go. It's the only thing that can help prepare you for a maths degree (?) at Oxford.

If I were to do STEP could I do both STEP 1 and STEP 2 or will this affect me if I were to do bad in one but good in the other etc.
Reply 6
If I were to do STEP could I do both STEP 1 and STEP 2 or will this affect me if I were to do bad in one but good in the other etc.

If you did bad it wouldn't affect you, it just wouldn't help your application any further, but it wouldn't cost you.

Your di a level maths in year 11? Jheez you must be smart, what did you get in it?
Reply 8
Original post by Hashtosh302
Your di a level maths in year 11? Jheez you must be smart, what did you get in it?

A* lmao it's one of the subjects i've kind of put a lot of work into
Reply 9
Oxbridge, imperial, lse , warwick, ucl

Cambridge, Warwick and UCL all require STEP. MAT isn't really that bad despite the short amount of time for preparation and is much easier than STEP.
Original post by kkboyk
Cambridge, Warwick and UCL all require STEP. MAT isn't really that bad despite the short amount of time for preparation and is much easier than STEP.

Wrong. You can get into Warwick with A*A*A* or A*A*AA with no STEP.

UCL you only need to do STEP if you don't achieve A*A*A which the OP probably will do.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply 11
Hopefully tomorrow I get an A* in further maths and then i should easily get an A next year in economics

Quick Reply

Latest