The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I am doing a 4 year course must i wait till second year to apply?
Original post by Saywhat123
If I am doing a 4 year course must i wait till second year to apply?

If you apply second year you can be fast tracked to an internship in third year which can lead to a job offer upon graduation. However you could use the spring weeks from your first year as experience in gaining a spring week/internship in your second.
Original post by gpearson97
If you apply second year you can be fast tracked to an internship in third year which can lead to a job offer upon graduation. However you could use the spring weeks from your first year as experience in gaining a spring week/internship in your second.

so i can start to apply in first year?? or will i have to wait
Hopefully starting MEng Electrical/Electronic Engineering in Imperial or UCL. I've got no experience whatsoever in this field, so what would you recommend me doing to start gaining some. Would you recommend applying for an investment banking (Sales and Trading) spring week in this first year or another spring week like consulting to give me some experience.
Also does it make a difference me doing a 4 year course vs a 3 year course?

You can apply first year but you're meant to apply in your second year.
Original post by chrisidialu
Also does it make a difference me doing a 4 year course vs a 3 year course?

With course length, all a four year course means is that you should apply in your second year so as to gain an internship in your third year and a full time offer upon graduation. However nothing is stopping you applying in your first year so as to gain experience which can then be used to get further Spring weeks or internships. In fact, I think that people on four year courses benefit quite a bit from the extra year of Insight programs,

For your other questions, go to information fairs on campus, networking events and apply to spring weeks so as to bulk up your cv.
Edit: consulting is not necessary if you know you want to do banking but it could be helpful
(edited 7 years ago)

You'd have to be 'preemptively' only doing 3 years, otherwise they'd catch on to the fact that you'll graduate later than necessary. So, theoretically you can but it would be better to wait until 2nd year if you really want to stick to the four year course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
With course length, all a four year course means is that you should apply in your second year so as to gain an internship in your third year and a full time offer upon graduation. However nothing is stopping you applying in your first year so as to gain experience which can then be used to get further Spring weeks or internships. In fact, I think that people on four year courses benefit quite a bit from the extra year of Insight programs,

For your other questions, go to information fairs on campus, networking events and apply to spring weeks so as to bulk up your cv.
Edit: consulting is not necessary if you know you want to do banking but it could be helpful

Thanks, what kinds of firms would you recommend a person applying for with absolutely no experience of the investment banking world e.g. Boutiques
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, what kinds of firms would you recommend a person applying for with absolutely no experience of the investment banking world e.g. Boutiques

I have the same problem as you. I think the key is to get any work experience possible as long as you can link it with an interest in the field you want to enter. So for example, creating your own start up would make you seem business minded as well as showing leadership. You could link this with an internship or Spring week you're applying for, e.g. I can imagine that's the sort of thing that looks good for someone applying for m and a.

In summary, do anything which shows your interest and dedication to your chosen area of work. Make sure it's genuine as well, if you get an interview they may ask you about it.
There isn't really anything relevant you can get unless you have family contacts, you can try emailing boutiques for work shadowing but you rarely ever get a response. The best thing to do is get some semi-relevant work experience at local accounting/wealth management firms as they tend to be more willing to give you something.

Kfc mcdonalds subway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Kfc mcdonalds subway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, the holy trinity of investment banking work experience, you can't go wrong with gladiatorsword's advice.
Hey guys, quick question, I know that most applications for spring weeks are dealt with on a rolling basis, meaning that you should apply ASAP. However, that is difficult for me since I am starting at the University of Warwick in October, which means that I don't have the benefit of an early application unless I choose to sacrifice on-campus recruiting events by applying as soon as I get to university. How have people overcome this issue in the past?

Thank you in advance.

Good heavens, that's why no one at Warwick gets into Investment Banking - because they start on the 3rd of October! Honestly, there's no struggle. You're at Warwick. Send a few applications off before you get to university and then when you can, attend meet and greets with Morgan and Goldmans, mention that you've already applied and they'll be happy to flag your application as a promising candidate. If you're too busy having a fun summer, apply a few weeks into term and if you're really having fun - get the bulk submitted during your conveniently placed reading week.
Reply 214
Original post by Selym95
Good heavens, that's why no one at Warwick gets into Investment Banking - because they start on the 3rd of October! Honestly, there's no struggle. You're at Warwick. Send a few applications off before you get to university and then when you can, attend meet and greets with Morgan and Goldmans, mention that you've already applied and they'll be happy to flag your application as a promising candidate. If you're too busy having a fun summer, apply a few weeks into term and if you're really having fun - get the bulk submitted during your conveniently placed reading week.

Warwick students have some of the most impressive banking CV's I have seen.
Ahh, the holy trinity of investment banking work experience, you can't go wrong with gladiatorsword's advice.

Who do you think taught princepieman all he needs to know? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RWiz
Warwick students have some of the most impressive banking CV's I have seen.

He was being sarcastic and melodramatic to emphasise his point. Of course lots of warwick alumni are in IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 217
And I was just chiming in to further emphasize his point and calm all the neurotics :wink:
Anyone know if you can apply to both the HSBC first year internship and HSBC spring week or will they only let you apply to one?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Anyone know if you can apply to both the HSBC first year internship and HSBC spring week or will they only let you apply to one?

I think you can do both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending