The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

on some of the kaplan mocks the QR section contains 6-8 pretty complex questions which i can never answer and that drags my score down as i already struggle with maths, any ideas if its easier in the real thing???
Original post by Euan1603
Are u considering applying in England? I would maybe only apply to one in England and that's depending if I get 5A1s which I think is very unlikely

I might apply to two English ones because most Scottish universities are UKCAT heavy but i might be wrong.
Hi,
Could anyone please help with the following question as I wasn't provided with an answer?
Sample Verbal MC.png
Original post by rose1234
Hi,
Could anyone please help with the following question as I wasn't provided with an answer?
Sample Verbal MC.png

C I think!

I think the QR on Kaplan is too hard :frown: The Medify ones seemed easier
Original post by clairebear101
on some of the kaplan mocks the QR section contains 6-8 pretty complex questions which i can never answer and that drags my score down as i already struggle with maths, any ideas if its easier in the real thing???

Judging by what people are saying, QR is quite easy this year so I'm guessing you may only get 1-3 complex questions.
Original post by clairebear101
okay so during practice i used to really struggle with QR but with practice i can get 650 on kaplan tests which i know isnt good but they seem to be a lot harder than real thing and i am improving here and so i am being postitive about this and for AR i can get 700 fairly easily in most resources as i have a brain for patterns but when i do VR i find i someimes cant even get 600 in practice and i have done a lot of practice of looking for key words and scanning, plus i hear the real thing is harder!! :frown: anyone got any strategies they use like a quick skiim read of long passages for example or slow down and only do 90%? need some help! :frown: got 2 weeks till test and i feel like im failing every time i come on TSR

I was exactly the same a few days ago but what I found is that to get 700, you basically have to rely on instinct and fast reading. For example for which statement is true or false, I read each statement and check each one by scanning the text really quickly (only for the most likely to agree, disagree, true and false questions though). More often than not the answer is the second or third statement. keep to the 30 sec a question rule so if you're running out of time just rely on instinct and choose a statement which makes the most sense. If you get a complicated passage I would just guess them all and go because you don't want to run out of time doing these if there are much easier texts at the end of the test to get marks on. Extreme words such as always and never can be ruled out most of the time. Finally get an app like Spreader or Accelereader which will help you increase your speed of reading, it helps trust me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
I was exactly the same a few days ago but what I found is that to get 700, you basically have to rely on instinct and fast reading. For example for which statement is true or false, I read each statement and check each one by scanning the text really quickly (only for the most likely to agree, disagree, true and false questions though). More often than not the answer is the second or third statement. keep to the 30 sec a question rule so if you're running out of time just rely on instinct and choose a statement which makes the most sense. If you get a complicated passage I would just guess them all and go because you don't want to run out of time doing these if there are much easier texts at the end of the test to get marks on. Extreme words such as always and never can be ruled out most of the time. Finally get an app like Spreader or Accelereader which will help you increase your speed of reading, it helps trust me!

are T/F/CT always at the end of the UKCAT exam?
Original post by ronnydandam
are T/F/CT always at the end of the UKCAT exam?

Not necessarily, no.
Original post by usycool1
Not necessarily, no.

thanks, do you think I should try and find them and do them first or would looking for them waste time?
Original post by ronnydandam
thanks, do you think I should try and find them and do them first or would looking for them waste time?

It depends on your speed. Keep in mind that moving between questions might be time-consuming as well!
C I think, as it says the fox population responds to increasing rodent numbers with increased reproduction (so their numbers would increase)

Original post by rose1234
Hi,
Sample Verbal MC.png
Original post by OneAfrica
I might apply to two English ones because most Scottish universities are UKCAT heavy but i might be wrong.

How are you feeling for tomorrow? I honestly just want it over with tbh
Original post by Euan1603
How are you feeling for tomorrow? I honestly just want it over with tbh

I'm quite scared don't know how well i performed in the exams. Just have to wait and see.
Original post by usycool1
Not necessarily, no.

Is it true that there are, on average, more CT than T/F answers?
Original post by Jitesh
Is it true that there are, on average, more CT than T/F answers?

I'm afraid so.
Hello everyone,I have been practicing for the UKCAT and I have really been struggling with the abstract section and it is a section I got 900 in 3 years ago(mostly down to luck), now I am applying as a graduate and I don't feel that confident with this section. Like writer's block I seem to have an abstract block :/Any word of advice?
Original post by saran23
Hello everyone,I have been practicing for the UKCAT and I have really been struggling with the abstract section and it is a section I got 900 in 3 years ago(mostly down to luck), now I am applying as a graduate and I don't feel that confident with this section. Like writer's block I seem to have an abstract block :/Any word of advice?

Do lots of practice questions and you'll get better at recognising the patterns. I'm getting better with practice. Also acronyms like SCANS help (shape, colour, arrangement, number of shapes etc, symmetry).
I was doing a quantitative reasoning question on Medify. It had data that involved powers such as 6 x 10^24. However there isn't a power button on the calculator so how would you go about these type of questions?
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
I was doing a quantitative reasoning question on Medify. It had data that involved powers such as 6 x 10^24. However there isn't a power button on the calculator so how would you go about these type of questions?

10 to the power of 24 is just 1 followed by 24 0's. So times that by 6 and it is 6 followed by 24 0's
Original post by Gogregg
10 to the power of 24 is just 1 followed by 24 0's. So times that by 6 and it is 6 followed by 24 0's

Thank you but it'd take too long in the exam due to the timing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending