The Student Room Group

The job centre is such a waste of time and money

I signed on for the first time today and must say I am totally disillusioned with the Job Centre. I made the effort to look presentable and even more one of my more expensive perfumes, but when I got there all they were interested in doing was getting me to sign a couple of forms and telling me of the JSA process. I'd already been to 3 interviews last week and so I am quite aware of the efforts I should be making to find a job, but at the end I was sent to 'Triage' where the lady was supposed to help me find suitable jobs. She found three that all required one year's hotel reception experience, but when I said I've never worked in a hotel or on reception, she said 'oh just make it up'.

The annoying thing is that even though I'm totally unsuitable for these jobs, I will now have to spend time out of my day applying for these jobs because she noted down the reference numbers and if I don't apply, my claim will be affected.

Not only that, but I have to go workshops next week all at my own expense that will show me how to write a CV (I've always kept it up to date since I was 16 and had it checked by my university careers service) and how to look in the paper for a job. I've then got to go to another session later in the week whereby they'll show me how to apply for jobs online via their online site.

It's just annoying because if anything, these silly sessions are a) costing me money to go, that being unemployed I can ill-afford and b) it' stopping me from applying for jobs and going to interviews, as they made clear these silly sessions must take priority over any calls from an employer. I'm happy to show them evidence of my job search, but the Job Centre seem to want to make it even more difficult for me to get a job.

I'm sorry I just needed to rant.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes job centre sucks bawls but its hard trying to get the right balance between allowing charlatans and the idle an easy ride and not punishing or negatively detracting the efforts of genuine honest people

They are not there to help you find a job, just to make sure you are doing everything you can to get a job. Its dumb though
Reply 2
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Yes job centre sucks bawls but its hard trying to get the right balance between allowing charlatans and the idle an easy ride and not punishing or negatively detracting the efforts of genuine honest people

They are not there to help you find a job, just to make sure you are doing everything you can to get a job. Its dumb though

The problem with the "anti-scrounger" measures is the people that intend on cheating the system will go to whatever lengths are made necessary.

Ironically many of them would work harder at clinging to the benefits than is needed to just search for work
Original post by Herz
The problem with the "anti-scrounger" measures is the people that intend on cheating the system will go to whatever lengths are made necessary.

Ironically many of them would work harder at clinging to the benefits than is needed to just search for work

Of course professional scroungers will look to exploit any and every loophole they can find but the point is having some form of pressure and compliance is necessary (Unfortunately its a blunt sword that hits everyone such as the OP) and its no longer as easy to remain idle or stuck in a rut
Reply 4
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Of course professional scroungers will look to exploit any and every loophole they can find but the point is having some form of pressure and compliance is necessary (Unfortunately its a blunt sword that hits everyone such as the OP) and its no longer as easy to remain idle or stuck in a rut

Yeah that's true.

Of course just a "turn up and get your money" system would be too weak, but from what I gather the job centre of today is basically draconian and seeks to catch anyone and everyone out on even the slightest thing - money that many (including honest) people rely on to survive

I think a middle ground is required, you should need to prove you're looking for work but without many of the measures & pressure to sanction there is now
Original post by Herz
Yeah that's true.

Of course just a "turn up and get your money" system would be too weak, but from what I gather the job centre of today is basically draconian and seeks to catch anyone and everyone out on even the slightest thing - money that many (including honest) people rely on to survive

I think a middle ground is required, you should need to prove you're looking for work but without many of the measures & pressure to sanction there is now

It'd be nice if there were more useful (and tailored) educational courses provided - someone who has been using computers their entire life doesn't need to be taught how to press the "on" button, but if they struggle with, say, resolving disputes in a work environment, courses regarding interpersonal skills would be more helpful and would look better on a CV and in interviews.
Reply 6
Original post by stripystockings
It'd be nice if there were more useful (and tailored) educational courses provided - someone who has been using computers their entire life doesn't need to be taught how to press the "on" button, but if they struggle with, say, resolving disputes in a work environment, courses regarding interpersonal skills would be more helpful and would look better on a CV and in interviews.

Unfortunately there's no real funding available for these sorts of things, useful as they would be.

The Job Centre's role as I see it today is purely to give out the benefits, and not at all to find people work. It used to be quite different apparently, they'd help you with interviews and everything, whereas today AFAIK they're all just trained to try to catch you out to stop your money, not to help you
Original post by sationti
I signed on for the first time today and must say I am totally disillusioned with the Job Centre. I made the effort to look presentable and even more one of my more expensive perfumes, but when I got there all they were interested in doing was getting me to sign a couple of forms and telling me of the JSA process. I'd already been to 3 interviews last week and so I am quite aware of the efforts I should be making to find a job, but at the end I was sent to 'Triage' where the lady was supposed to help me find suitable jobs. She found three that all required one year's hotel reception experience, but when I said I've never worked in a hotel or on reception, she said 'oh just make it up'.

The annoying thing is that even though I'm totally unsuitable for these jobs, I will now have to spend time out of my day applying for these jobs because she noted down the reference numbers and if I don't apply, my claim will be affected.

Not only that, but I have to go workshops next week all at my own expense that will show me how to write a CV (I've always kept it up to date since I was 16 and had it checked by my university careers service) and how to look in the paper for a job. I've then got to go to another session later in the week whereby they'll show me how to apply for jobs online via their online site.

It's just annoying because if anything, these silly sessions are a) costing me money to go, that being unemployed I can ill-afford and b) it' stopping me from applying for jobs and going to interviews, as they made clear these silly sessions must take priority over any calls from an employer. I'm happy to show them evidence of my job search, but the Job Centre seem to want to make it even more difficult for me to get a job.

I'm sorry I just needed to rant.

If you are a student why are you signing on??
Original post by Herz
Unfortunately there's no real funding available for these sorts of things, useful as they would be.

The Job Centre's role as I see it today is purely to give out the benefits, and not at all to find people work. It used to be quite different apparently, they'd help you with interviews and everything, whereas today AFAIK they're all just trained to try to catch you out to stop your money, not to help you

It's sad, really. A bit more investment now would surely be financially beneficial in the long run (able to pay more in taxes, for example, more disposable income, fewer benefits...) but obviously the centres themselves have to find the money in the short term, and it just isn't there.
Wing in an application and collect your £70 a week. Applying for jobs is what you get paid to do now.
Reply 10
Original post by niteninja1
If you are a student why are you signing on??

I've just graduated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Wing in an application and collect your £70 a week. Applying for jobs is what you get paid to do now.

No thanks I think I'll just keep my dignity. That's just something I couldn't bring myself to do - sign on.
Reply 12
Original post by cbreef
No thanks I think I'll just keep my dignity. That's just something I couldn't bring myself to do - sign on.

I used to take that attitude, but I've just graduated having paid around £20k in tax into the system over the five years I worked prior to university (I went as a mature student), and will pay far more over the rest of my working life. The welfare state is there as a safety net and I wouldn't let pride get in the way of being able to afford basic living.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by cbreef

I used to take that attitude, but I've just graduated having paid around £20k in tax into the system over the five years I worked prior to university (I went as a mature student), and will pay far more over the rest of my working life. The welfare state is there as a safety net and I wouldn't let pride get in the way of being able to afford basic living.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately a great many people in this country can't afford to eat dignity

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's my problem. I've yet to pay in jack ****. I feel as though I don't deserve the money.
Reply 15
Original post by cbreef
That's my problem. I've yet to pay in jack ****. I feel as though I don't deserve the money.

I understand where you're coming from, because I was the same before I worked. Were I in the same position again though I wouldn't hesitate to claim, the government didn't hesitate to deduct £400 a month from my monthly wage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef

The whole point of JSA is to keep people afloat whilst they find work. Maybe you haven't paid in yet, but once you get a job, you'll do your part.
Reply 17
Original post by stripystockings
The whole point of JSA is to keep people afloat whilst they find work. Maybe you haven't paid in yet, but once you get a job, you'll do your part.

Exactly this. I felt the same as him before I worked, but would not hesitate to claim now had I been in the same position again. The government are quick enough to make their deductions as soon as you start earning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herz
Yeah that's true.

I've been a claimant myself and have actually found my JCP to be very helpful and encouraging - which was as much a shock to me as anyone else :lol:
Reply 19
Original post by Tootles
I've been a claimant myself and have actually found my JCP to be very helpful and encouraging - which was as much a shock to me as anyone else :lol:

When did you claim & where if you don't mind?

I suppose it depends area to area

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending