The Student Room Group

Failed my Second year but only have one year of Student Finance left, Help?

I started off at a different university, so then started my course again but at my current uni, I've just failed my second year of uni because I convinced myself that i was done and I didn't want to continue with my degree. It's now the resit deadline day and I've not done any work for them and realised that I was being so stupid and that I do want to finish my degree but I will probably have to resit my second year to do so. Due to me doing a year elsewhere I only have one year left of student finance, does anyone know of any options for me doing this on my own without student finance, or does student finance allow for another year?(I really don't think they do but at this point I'm being optimistic)Thank you If you can help
Original post by Bornforthis2
I started off at a different university, so then started my course again but at my current uni, I've just failed my second year of uni because I convinced myself that i was done and I didn't want to continue with my degree. It's now the resit deadline day and I've not done any work for them and realised that I was being so stupid and that I do want to finish my degree but I will probably have to resit my second year to do so. Due to me doing a year elsewhere I only have one year left of student finance, does anyone know of any options for me doing this on my own without student finance, or does student finance allow for another year?(I really don't think they do but at this point I'm being optimistic)Thank you If you can help

Better place to ask is
Ask Student Finance England, but I appreciate that your post isn't solely about how SF works. As far as I am aware, they offer funding for length of your degree +1 so if you were to resit the second year, you would be required to fund it yourself before receiving funding for Year 3.

I know that resits are icky and not exactly something that can be done in 5 hours, but it's worth a shot if you think it's possible.
My daughter failed 2nd yr at uni forensic science and criminology. Waited 6 weeks to see if she could do 2nd yr just criminology. They replied and saud dhe would have to start from 1st year. She is unhappy to do this. Is there a way around this please.
Original post by Poppyblue991
My daughter failed 2nd yr at uni forensic science and criminology. Waited 6 weeks to see if she could do 2nd yr just criminology. They replied and saud dhe would have to start from 1st year. She is unhappy to do this. Is there a way around this please.

Can she transfer universities into the second year of a similar course? If she's passed her first year modules with decent grades another university might let her

Probably not. The university has obligations to ensure degrees are of a certain standard, in terms of content (people need to follow a pre-assessed syllabus) and a level of knowledge (people need to pass exams to get the award). They've looked at it, and transferring to a single honours degree does not fulfill the syllabus requirements of the final degree award (and possibly considerations about likelihood of passing)
Original post by Bornforthis2

Why did you fail the second year? If you had any circumstances out of your control such as family illness, personal illness or bereavement it might be worth putting in a claim for Compelling Personal Reasons. Aberystwyth University has a good page on applying and putting in for this:

https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/
Reply 6

The university sets the conditions and it's entirely up to them. If they say that it is not possible, then that will be the final ruling. In this instance, it is probable that the joint honours first year doesn't provide the breadth of grounding that she would need to continue into a single honours second year. She could ask her Student Union whether there is any appeal mechanism, but I've never come across one for this situation.

There is a bigger issue to restarting, than your daughter not wanting to. Whilst she has enough Student Finance left to complete her current degree with a resit year, she does not have enough to start a new degree from scratch. If she did want to restart on a new degree, either at her current uni or a different one, she would have to fund the first year (including tuition fees) herself. For many people, this would remove the option entirely.

Having failed her second year, it seems unlikely that another uni would accept her into their Criminology second year as a transfer student, especially when her current uni have already decided that this would not be feasible.

I think her best course of action is to continue where she is. Once she passes her second year, she can choose a dissertation topic for her third year which is tailored to her interests.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending