The Student Room Group

Help please!

image.jpegHow would I solve this? And how would I find the missing angle?
Reply 1
Original post by JackT2000
image.jpegHow would I solve this? And how would I find the missing angle?

What do you get each of the angles as when y=15 ?
Reply 2
Original post by B_9710
What do you get each of the angles as when y=15 ?

2(15) + 30
30 + 30 = 60

3(15) + 15
45 + 15 = 60

180 - 120 = 60 - angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees

Is this right?
Reply 3
2(15) + 30
30 + 30 = 60

3(15) + 15
45 + 15 = 60

Is this right?

Yes. That's all.
2(15) + 30
30 + 30 = 60

3(15) + 15
45 + 15 = 60

Is this right?

You're right but it doesn't explain why the triangle is equilateral. Look up the definition of an equilateral triangle and apply it to your question. You need a succinct statement showing that it is that type of triangle.
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
You're right but it doesn't explain why the triangle is equilateral. Look up the definition of an equilateral triangle and apply it to your question. You need a succinct statement showing that it is that type of triangle.

Ok but the question only asks you to show using y=15?

I know it already an equilateral triangle has 3 equal sides and angles (each angle being 60 degrees)

I know it already an equilateral triangle has 3 equal sides and angles (each angle being 60 degrees)

It's good that you know, so show that to the examiner or whoever marks your paper by stating that: when y=15, all angles are 60 degrees therefore forming an equilateral triangle. Or some statement similar to that.
Reply 7

It would just be best to include a statement that says that 3 equal angles implies three equal side lengths. It's obvious but you know what the examiners are like.
Reply 8
It's good that you know, so show that to the examiner or whoever marks your paper by stating that: when y=15, all angles are 60 degrees therefore forming an equilateral triangle. Or some statement similar to that.

So would just stating that an equilateral triangle has 3 equal angles being 60 degrees and 3 equal sides be enough?

And I don't gain or lose marks for this statement do I?
So would just stating that an equilateral triangle has 3 equal angles being 60 degrees and 3 equal sides be enough?

And I don't gain or lose marks for this statement do I?

You would be simply be stating something from a book without any application to the question, so personally I wouldn't award you full marks for that.

If you want full marks on that question, go along with your explanation then show mathematically that when y=15, each angle is 60 degrees. This would prove it is equilateral.
Reply 10
You would be simply be stating something from a book without any application to the question, so personally I wouldn't award you full marks for that.

If you want full marks on that question, go along with your explanation then show mathematically that when y=15, each angle is 60 degrees. This would prove it is equilateral.

image.jpegThe mark scheme doesn't require a statement so I would be awarded 3 marks
image.jpegThe mark scheme doesn't require a statement so I would be awarded 3 marks

Is this foundation maths?
Reply 12
Is this foundation maths?

Yes it is and I will be sitting the new 9-1 exam next year
Yes it is and I will be sitting the new 9-1 exam next year

Oh well that explains it, those don't really need such an explanation so just go ahead with your initial method.

Quick Reply

Latest