The Student Room Group

How important is university prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foxab77
LOL at warwick above LSE and Imperial. What a joke.... xD

LSE and Imperial > Warwick anyday for prestige, international rep and prospects. I did a internship recently at an American firm based in London, and no one had even heard of warwick (the uni i'm at right now). But they definitely know the LSE.

I'm afraid in the real world, that's true, Warwick's success is largely an internal 'people who know about British universities' phenomenon. Globally, the highest profiles belong to Oxbridge and LSE, with some people having heard of Imperial and UCL. I think the Scottish ones tend to be known as well, perhaps because (like Trinity Dublin) they are in a country with a widely known separate identity.
Original post by Trapz99
It has the same reputation with employers as LSE, UCL and Imperial- i.e. not Oxbridge, but still very good
With random people on the street, sure, Warwick won't be as well known as the others and it doesn't have the same 'wow' factor with people but, in the end, that doesn't really matter. As long as it's well reputed by employers, Warwick should be in the same tier.

True, but I think when/if I have children and they reach the age where they should think about aiming to go to a particular university, assuming things are pretty much as are now, I would be pushing much harder for them to aim for Oxbridge than I would for them to aim for Warwick. In fact, I would put everything into pushing for them to aim for Oxbridge.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
True, but I think when/if I have children and they reach the age where they should think about aiming to go to a particular university, assuming things are pretty much as are now, I would be pushing much harder for them to aim for Oxbridge than I would for them to aim for Warwick. In fact, I would put everything into pushing for them to aim for Oxbridge.

Yeah definitely. Everyone would choose Oxbridge over Warwick if they had the choice. What I was saying was that employers in the UK would generally treat a Warwick student the same as a LSE or UCL or Imperial student and they would have the same opportunities. Oxbridge does have the extra prestige which opens up some consulting and political careers.
Reply 123
Original post by Mojo Banjo
It's important for medicine too. A lot of the consultants at London teaching hospitals in competitive specialities are from London/Oxbridge universities.

Hahahaha next joke. Don't spit out rubbish unless you can prove it.

Evidence based with statistical significance of this being true then I'll believe it. As it stands you can look at the consultant directories at most major hospitals in the UK and your point is complete and utter waffle.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm afraid in the real world, that's true, Warwick's success is largely an internal 'people who know about British universities' phenomenon. Globally, the highest profiles belong to Oxbridge and LSE, with some people having heard of Imperial and UCL. I think the Scottish ones tend to be known as well, perhaps because (like Trinity Dublin) they are in a country with a widely known separate identity.

UCL and imperial seem to be less well known to the layperson, they tend to just lump it all into 'London'. Even Cambridge is not as well known (generally) as Oxford to the average international joe schmo..

But St Andrews and Edinburgh have a bit more recognition. You can see why it's kind of futile to rely on international 'general' rep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lack of answer to a fairly silly question..

Warwick has been consistently ranked top 10 in local league tables for over 20+ years, their strength isn't just in Maths and Econ... The students they compete for in their best courses tend to apply to Oxbridge alongside Imperial/LSE. Couple that with the level of attention it receives from top employers, and you have a perfectly valid position.

So I'm not sure what bone you have to pick with Warwick or whatever, but it doesn't need to fight its case at all.

Would have preferred not to engage in this pissing contest tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are their other strengths? They're evidentially a worthless choice for science and you're better off picking UCL for nearly all the humanities courses?

No one majorly influential has come out of Warwick. You have Fleming from Imperial, Gandhi from UCL and Mick Jagger from LSE.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What are their other strengths? They're evidentially a worthless choice for science and you're better off picking UCL for nearly all the humanities courses?

No one majorly influential has come out of Warwick. You have Fleming from Imperial, Gandhi from UCL and Mick Jagger from LSE.

Chemistry, Physics, History, Politics etc.. They're by no means 'worthless' (how tf is it worthless when it sits within spots 5-8 of most rankings for these subjects?) for science.

UCL indeed is very good for humanities, no one's said otherwise.

Yah, no one influential at all:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Warwick_people

Again, dunno what bone you have to pick or why you're so butthurt about a line in an initial post on an internet forum, but I think there are better things to fret about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So we've just had some important rankings released but tbh no one cares. It's all based on crap like library funding.

University prestige:

Oxford
Cambridge
--------------------
Warwick
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Durham
----------------
St Andrews
Edinburgh
----------------
RG
----------------
Others

To me university prestige is everything. It's even more important than course (apart from very vocational subjects like medicine and dentistry)

It defines what kind of job you get, what kind of friends you make and generally how successful you're gonna be in life.

It is very important. But university prestige does not apply much to medicine or dentistry because at the end of the day employment is 99% guaranteed.
Mick Jagger from LSE.

:rofl:

Edit: Sting, Frank Skinner and Timmy Mallet went to Warwick - that has to beat Mick Jagger
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 129
So we've just had some important rankings released but tbh no one cares. It's all based on crap like library funding.

University prestige:

Oxford
Cambridge
--------------------
Warwick
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Durham
----------------
St Andrews
Edinburgh
----------------
RG
----------------
Others

To me university prestige is everything. It's even more important than course (apart from very vocational subjects like medicine and dentistry)

It defines what kind of job you get, what kind of friends you make and generally how successful you're gonna be in life.

Hello
Reply 130
Which person put Warwick ahead of LSE, Imperial and UCL? What has Warwick ever even done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick was my first choice :smile:

I think you mean in terms of this thread, but I think it's worth pointing out the obvious: universities are different. I didn't apply to other, more prestigious Law programs (bar one, for the sake of my partner) because WW has a particular approach to law the other universities don't share. Above a certain threshold, I really don't get the granular critiques in which TSR seems to revel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Assan

I think you mean in terms of this thread, but I think it's worth pointing out the obvious: universities are different. I didn't apply to other, more prestigious Law programs (bar one, for the sake of my partner) because WW has a particular approach to law the other universities don't share. Above a certain threshold, I really don't get the granular critiques in which TSR seems to revel.

It's not TSR as a whole, just people who have quite faint egos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry, Physics, History, Politics etc.. They're by no means 'worthless' (how tf is it worthless when it sits within spots 5-8 of most rankings for these subjects?) for science.

UCL indeed is very good for humanities, no one's said otherwise.

Yah, no one influential at all:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Warwick_people

Again, dunno what bone you have to pick or why you're so butthurt about a line in an initial post on an internet forum, but I think there are better things to fret about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't pretend that you know whose these people are. I said "'majorly influential" not just a alumni list filled with unheard names.

League tables to justify the quality on their science courses is meaningless when they haven't been credited with contributing anything to science. When a university lets you on a science course with ABB, it can't be considered "world class".
Don't pretend that you know whose these people are. I said "'majorly influential" not just a alumni list filled with unheard names.

League tables to justify the quality on their science courses is meaningless when they haven't been credited with contributing anything to science. When a university lets you on a science course with ABB, it can't be considered "world class".

Cool beans dude, realised that this is a pointless discussion now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool beans dude, realised that this is a pointless discussion now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, on the bright side, at least KCL wasn't there.
Original post by Assan

In practice, it doesn't but it's interesting to differentiate.

Warwick doesn't let you on with abb though

If you're including mathematics in the science bracket then you are mistaken. Warwick is home to a recent fields medallist (2014): that's the type of influence they have. Further, having studied there for three years and being educated by several fellows of the royal society myself I don't think there's any way you can discount their prestige in mathematical circles. It's simply formidable (granted I don't expect those on the outside to know that but it's a point I'd like to make).
Original post by Trapz99
Warwick doesn't let you on with abb though

Look at its biology course
Look at its biology course

Oh wow, that was unexpected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending